Slight Jitter in UFO tests

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
oof_oof

Slight Jitter in UFO tests

Post by oof_oof » 26 May 2019, 15:42

hi, in almost all ufo tests after about 5 seconds of making them full screen it lags and jumps like 1cm. after spending like an hour stairing at various tests.. all of them are not 100% smooth all of the time. they have tiny little jitters to me every now and then.

I am guessing this is not normal. no idea if it's a monitor problem or what. currently using vg279q with rx570 win10. have brave chrome and firefox installed.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Slight Jitter in UFO tests

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 26 May 2019, 17:04

I have same issue. It's caused by low gpu clocks (p0 state) I found some workaround called clockblocker radeon. But that solution is far from perfect.

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 26 May 2019, 19:23

wait??? my rx570 processor clock idles at 300mhz but goes up to like 1300mhz while gaming.

are you saying this happens because of my rx570 being 300mhz while doing ufo tests??

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 26 May 2019, 19:46

oof_oof wrote:wait??? my rx570 processor clock idles at 300mhz but goes up to like 1300mhz while gaming.

are you saying this happens because of my rx570 being 300mhz while doing ufo tests??
just check it. u can also run https://webquake.quaddicted.com/Client/index.htm in separate window (not minimized and not in another tab)

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 26 May 2019, 20:42

very cool quake link. what should i look out for while playing?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2019, 18:28

Processor and GPU power management definitely wreak havoc with web browser framepacing accuracy.

Fortunately, Chrome gave me a reliable way to heuristically detect dropped frames, so TestUFO can usually self-detect jitter. It's easy to see at http://www.testufo.com/animation-timing-graph

You can even watch power management in realtime as spikes in frame rendering times. Running some basic 3D stuff in the background (in another app) and bringing browser to foreground, also sometimes smooth TestUFO because of the way the background app keeps the GPU at full power.

I may have to add an optional dummy "corner 3D animation" to TestUFO, to optionally force the GPU to full power state while running TestUFO animations.

Web browsers often try to save power, which then adds so many stutters to TestUFO.

The other reason is that there's a full screen mode issue with multimonitor sometimes. Run on primary monitor. If that doesn't help, try windowed mode on the primary monitor (no frames touching edges of screen) often fixes this, as long as no windows are running on other monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 29 May 2019, 00:40

hi, that 1st link http://www.testufo.com/animation-timing-graph was working an hour ago and now it's hidden and will not load? (ing on time in url)

i noticed there are 3 tests in the drop down box now here: https://www.testufo.com/animation-time- ... busywait=0

i cant remember if there were 3 a few days ago.

you said this can test for dropped frames? is it the gpu or monitor dropping the frames? what do i look out for? i do get different results in full screen mode vs non full screen. full screen is a lot more consistent. windowed the green spikes grow slightly larger after a min and then reset down to 0.4ms and grow again...

minimizing / maximizing the test makes red 25 - 50 ms red spikes on animation timing deviation.

the frame rendering time graph is a lot more stable.

i'm looking to get to the bottom of all these issues. i can make a hugely detailed post of all my specs too if needed:

but basically i7 6700k 4.0mhz / asus z170-a. sapphire rx 570 pulse 8gb memory. ( i also have a gtx 950 not in system right now, got crazy screen tearing on all your tests with that with vsync off on the 950, like unacceptable insane amount )

current monitor is asus vg279q

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 29 May 2019, 00:56

i also want to add that this is the 3rd vg279q i am using. (i returned the other 2) i can also make a detailed post about the differences i found in all 3... but the current one seems the best. the 2nd one may have been dropping frames / text was not clear / scrolling did not feel like 144hz. the 1st one probably was really snappy and fast but had gross paper like crumples on the top of the screen on cyan and green... (i guess kinda light glowish look)

oh. the crappy slow 2nd screen did not show any matte on white... lol the other 2 do... on the lower half of the screen

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 29 May 2019, 08:23

hey I made a video of browser animation timing precision graph in chrome, nothing running in background / no other windows. 1ms.

https://imgur.com/a/2CTAhji

this happens every 2 min. and then looks like the start and end for 90 sec or so.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 29 May 2019, 08:50

Either the browser is doing some work (cleaning up caches, syncing account, phoning home to google violating your privacy, etc), or Windows is doing that, or some process that is running is doing that.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.