Slight Jitter in UFO tests

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Slight Jitter in UFO tests

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2019, 16:06

oof_oof wrote:this happens every 2 min. and then looks like the start and end for 90 sec or so.
This is normal -- don't worry about it. It's usually the browser.

This in fact, is actually pretty good. The stutter warnings are really just browser warnings, to help you invalidate a test (e.g. pursuit camera photograph, frameskipping photograph, etc) in situations where you absolutely need scientific accuracy in a browser-based motion test. The stutter detector in TestUFO is mainly for that convenience.

It's not the monitor's fault, and will have nothing to do with any games, game engine, etc.

That said, if you get hundreds of stutters during 60Hz even at 100% CPU, then it could be an operating system / setup issue (too much background software). But TestUFO's stutter-detector is not designed for stutter troubleshooting; it's simply a convenient test invalidator for those situations. I have optimized TestUFO's heuristic stutter detector for Chromium-based web browsers, so in GPU-accelerated mode, it's extremely reliable at knowing when browser animations stutters -- I'm one of the only websites to do this reliably -- so much so, that it's capable of scientifically-accurate motion tests when tasked to do that.

(Assuming you're not on one of those "TestUFO Stuck at 60Hz" systems)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 29 May 2019, 16:12

chief can i get access to message people on this site?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 May 2019, 15:43

nick4567 wrote:chief can i get access to message people on this site?
The limit is static and forumwide: You need 5 posts before you can send PMs.

Blur Busters Forums had to raise PM limits because of spammers sending so many PMs.
For asking questions to me directly, posting publicly is also preferred.

Appreciated!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 31 May 2019, 12:12

hey just wanted to thank you for your reply(s) Cheif.

I am still not happy at all with any of the monitors i have tried. I am not sure if i always had these small issues but never noticed them before with my old 10 year old LG. today the screen looks like it is flickering and it did not look like it the last 5 days. did not change any settings on the monitor or on the radeon control panel.

also the middle bottom of my screen looks very matte today.. way more so than yesterday.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 01 Jun 2019, 22:31

Seems it's really hard for AMD cards to sustain stable frametimes. I got 1k fps camera and 240hz monitor to test and record but chrome+amd stability is far from good for mine combination of os/drivers. For nvidia it's stable from the box.