Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Paft

Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by Paft » 03 Jun 2019, 14:21

Hello,

I just bought a used Asus XG258 - Version Number: XG258Q September 2017 to replace my Asus VG248QE.

Firstly: The muppet didn't menion is has several scratches on the dispaly. They hide quite well with Vaseline..but who wants to do that when they've just spent £270. I've read Melamine foam or Novus bottle #1 can buff them out. I assume both would turn the area of a matte screen glossy?

Secondly...I was surprised at how bad the overdrive is even on the default 3. Is the correct term ghosting? A sort of shadowing effect. I'm not quite sure if it's overshooting or ghosting but anything over 2 is poor. Is this normal for 240Hz displays? If not which is the best?

Thirdly: I was positively surprised that compared to the VG248QE it doesn't look like a washed out mess out of the box. I had to use a icc profile floating around for the VG248QE. But I don't see any for this one... Any recommended settings? or lmgtfy.com

Fourthly: 240Hz is nice but it isn't a massive increase from 144Hz. I was thinking of returning (given the scratches) it for a 1440p 144/165Hz IPS. Which are the top dogs?
Last edited by Paft on 03 Jun 2019, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

pox02

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by pox02 » 03 Jun 2019, 14:59

so lame you got the 1ms and not 0.5ms which come in 2019 https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/ROG-St ... fications/ you can check here i have the 0.5ms and so damn fast
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 03 Jun 2019, 15:25

yeah I agree with you on 2nd and 4th points totally. I had this model for the week but it's on the way back to the store at the moment.

I noticed the overdrive more noticeably bad on some games and not so much on others but I play a mix of stuff so it had to go. 240hz gave me a slight edge for sure but I couldn't live with the overdrive.

pox - do you keep all those monitors ?

pox02

Post by pox02 » 03 Jun 2019, 15:43

theangryregulator wrote:yeah I agree with you on 2nd and 4th points totally. I had this model for the week but it's on the way back to the store at the moment.

I noticed the overdrive more noticeably bad on some games and not so much on others but I play a mix of stuff so it had to go. 240hz gave me a slight edge for sure but I couldn't live with the overdrive.

pox - do you keep all those monitors ?
yes the xg248q was sold and i got the 258q
monitors xg258q aw2518hf 27GK750F-B pg248q xg240r lg w2363d-pf xb270hu XL2546 XL2546K NXG252R

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 03 Jun 2019, 16:38

It is like a lottery I guess.I bought VG258QR.It is very fast.If I bought VG258Q instead,maybe I would hate it too. :)

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 03 Jun 2019, 18:56

Asus XG258Q is my current daily driver, but only because of its ultra low input lag. It is the fastest monitor I ever used in my life, CRT included, input lag wise, and it made me beat all my personal records aim wise. I even got this few days ago:

Don´t get me wrong,I don´t want to be "cocky", but I have never seen someone hitting 67% LG accuracy even on pubs, or even against bots on Quake Champions; and I watch the big players streaming. I was never able to reach such accuracy on other monitors, so there is defo something big about Asus XG258Q. I also beat my previous personal records on Aim Hero, wich is an Aim Trainer with exercies -> https://store.steampowered.com/app/518030/Aim_Hero/ -> On the "Simple" game mode with 30sec time limit I was able to hit 58 moving targets with 100% accuracy, not a single miss. That´s almost 2 moving targets per second with 100% accuracy (involves a lot of flicks). This is crazy high and I could NEVER do this on any other monitor.

Now to the bad part, yes you are right, the overdrive is not optimal, so isn´t the overdrive on almost every other 240hz monitor, with few exceptions: Asus XG248Q.

These new AUO 24,5 panels have a very aggressive overdrive. All of them, from the 60hz versions to the 240hz ones. They are greatly improved over the old panels on:

- contrast (for TN)
- backlight bleed (almost inexistant)
- black levels (for TN)
- colour banding (almost inexistant)
- colour accuracy (the best for TN)

They lack on the overdrive department. Let me give you some examples:

- Asus VG255H 60hz/75hz monitor - Suffers from noticeable overshoot even with Trace Free 60, at Trace Free 40 no more overshoot but it then behaves as an IPS monitor response time wise

- Acer KG251QF 144hz monitor - Suffers from noticeable overshoot even with medium setting. At low setting it behaves as an IPS monitor response time wise

- AOC G2590F 144hz monitor - Suffers from noticeable overshoot even with medium setting. At low setting it behaves as an IPS monitor response time wise

- Asus Vg258QR 165hz monitor - Suffers from noticeable overshoot on EVERY setting apart from Trace Free 20 or 40 (at least the sample I had, some people on this forum are happy with it or not as sensitive as me).

- Benq XL2540/2546 - Again, bad overshoot even with Ama High, green artifacts

- AlienWare AW2518HF - Again, bad overshoot with green artifacts, can be reduced by editing timings on CRU, wich messes up other variables (pixel reponse time big time, for example, and messes with Nvidia GPUs idle clocks)

- Asus PG258Q - Big image artifacts, less overshoot than the other models, but high input lag and the image artifacts bother more than overshoot even

All of these monitors have something in common, the new AUO 24,5 panels. All of them have bad overshoot- Altho they improved massively compared to older TN panels on the contrast, backlight bleed, colour, etc department, they have worse overdrive and they are very sensitive to any overdrive increase. The guy from PCmonitors also stated on his forum that he is not a fan of these new AUO 24,5 panels overdrive wise, as all of them show artifacts on fast movements. It is what it is.

You will have to decide if you want ultra low input lag for great gaming performance (see my image above), or if you want a clean image with a smooth response time.

Your last option is Asus XG248Q wich doesn´t suffer from any overshoot problems, even at Overdrive Level 3, BUT, this monitor has an extremely aggressive coating wich creates some smearing effects that can bother you. However the monitor behaves correctly overdrive wise, like the older TN panels. It is an Innolux 23,8 TN panel, that´s why it has no overdrive problems like the AUO ones.

Your decision, but I can assure you Asus XG258Q ultra low input lag will take the best out of you as a fps player.

theangryregulator

Post by theangryregulator » 03 Jun 2019, 22:08

Hey Notty, I think you're overly focused on the numbers in this specific example - this monitor has helped you improved your accuracy for this game but if you pick out fps stats in a vacuum there are non pros who have better k/d, accuracy etc than some of your well known pros. There's much more to being good at FPS games than having the lowest input screen lag imo.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 03 Jun 2019, 22:29

theangryregulator wrote:Hey Notty, I think you're overly focused on the numbers in this specific example - this monitor has helped you improved your accuracy for this game but if you pick out fps stats in a vacuum there are non pros who have better k/d, accuracy etc than some of your well known pros. There's much more to being good at FPS games than having the lowest input screen lag imo.
Not the case with Quake bro, i can warranty you that. The community isn´t even that big and we don´t know about anyone that has better aim than clawz, Tox or Serious. Quake skill gap is so high that is not easy for you to spot a random player that no one knows about, rocking 50% LG on every lobby. And if that happens that guy will immediatly get sniped to play at least ESL or everyone will at least try to know who he is.

What you said happens a lot on more popular games, for sure. Like call of duty or fortnite, for example.

And I didn´t say having an ultra low lag monitor will make you good, I just said that it will objectively take the max potential from you. If you are bad at 60hz you will be bad at 144hz and bad at 240hz. But if you are good at 60hz, you will be even better at 144hz. If you are good with a laggier monitor, you will be even better with a faster one. This is what I meant, full potential. My LG was already very accurate on 144hz, even 60hz, but with the Asus XG258Q I took it to next level and with more consistency, because it isn´t barely faster than the other 144hz monitors, like most 240hz monitors (apart from XG248Q wich is also very fast), it is really really faster, and 100% noticeable just by moving mouse around the desktop, as long as it is connected by DisplayPort or HDMI 2.0 port (the ones with Asus GameFast Input)

ogchampion

Post by ogchampion » 04 Jun 2019, 03:50

I received an XG258Q in for testing last week (July 2018 build) and agree the overdrive/overshoot is unacceptable for me personally.

The overshoot issues are particularly bad in Apex Legends where it's really obvious on every tree/rock/wall edge/etc.

I can confirm it is very fast with regards to input lag.

pox02

Post by pox02 » 04 Jun 2019, 05:00

if you looking for good overdrive you should consider the pg248q which is 180hz with gsync i just return my pg248q to get the newer firmware that asus released and now its more responsive if you using VRR like me