Strobing effect when watching youtube or local media files

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
susalars

Strobing effect when watching youtube or local media files

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 12:26

Hi all!

Here is my specs:
Windows 10
Intel i7 7700K
RAM:16GB
GPU:Nvidia GTX1070
Monitor: ASUS ROG PG279Q(at 144Hz G-sync enabled. ULMB can be enabled at 120Hz)
Browser:Chrome(up to date)

Here is my problem:
1.All fine in 3D games. (little to none ghosting effect.)

2.Youtube, Netflix, local video files, all have extreme strobing/jittering effect on pan shots and movements.
(characters moving across the screen, cars, etc). And almost unreadable credits roll (vertical scrolling text).

3. The "Compare Frame Rates:UFO" test demonstrates the problem well.
144Hz lane is perfect, 72Hz not so much, 36Hz quite noticable strobing/jittering.
The same on the "Compare Frame Rates:Vertical Scrolling" test.

4. the "Stutters and Tearing" test(stuttering:VSYNC ON, displayed realtime FPS around 76ish) is also quite similar to what I've been experiencing watching videos.

4."Ghosting/Pursuit Camera" , "Moving Photo" , "Strobe Crosstalk For Blur Reduction" tests are all perfect.

Here is what I've tried:
1. Disable G-sync while watching video.
2. Enable ULMB(G-sync disabled of course).
3. Change to lower refresh rate.(120Hz, 100Hz, 60Hz).
4. Increase Brightness on the monitor to 100.
5. Enable/disable hardware acceleration in Chrome.

The problem never changed, not even a little bit.
I feel like I'm missing something. What else should I do?

Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Strobing effect when watching youtube or local media fil

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jun 2019, 13:50

Are you using single-monitor?

All 60Hz monitors disconnected? (Or if you must keep it connected, make the high-Hz primary, run your app in full screen exclusive mode & minimize everything on the 60Hz monitor)

Also, try turning on/off GSYNC windowed mode and turning off ULMB, and see what happens.

This will prevent refresh-rate interference that creates stutters.

Another issue you may be seeing is the 3:2 pulldown but that does not seem to be applicable to your situation, based on what you've described.

It's hard to identify your motion issue without seeing it in person; but if it is simply low-framerate regular stutter -- then those are not possible to eliminate without interpolation-techniques (or other frame rate amplification technology).

Do you see this on other 120Hz+ or 144Hz+ monitors?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 14:35

Hi, thanks for the reply!

This is my only monitor and my first high refresh rate monitor. The previous one is a Viewsonic (sorry can't remember the model) that max out at 60Hz, can't remember having this problem.

I just tried G-sync on full screen mode and full/windowed mode, with and without ULMB(although can't use ULMB while G-sync is enabled), both behave the same.

The stutter doesn't seems to be regular, it only happens when there is obvious movement involved.

Will a video clip help? I do own a Nikon D5300 DSLR and an Android cellphone. If so, do you have some test footages(YouTube, UFOtest, etc) that I can film?

Thanks!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2019, 14:52

Maybe you're in a similar position as the creator of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5377

In my case, I always had this, even with my 60Hz monitor from 2007, as I always used fast pixel response monitors. At the time, monitors were usually 7ms or so or higher. My 60Hz was 2ms. I never owned a slow pixel response display.

However, size also matters. What happens if you switch to 1920x1080 and disable scaling so that you get a smaller image in the center with black bars around it? Does the effect become less visible then? What size was your previous monitor?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 15:37

RealNC wrote:Maybe you're in a similar position as the creator of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5377
Interesting. I'll try that for local videos. Is there a way to make it work in browsers?
In my case, I always had this, even with my 60Hz monitor from 2007, as I always used fast pixel response monitors. At the time, monitors were usually 7ms or so or higher. My 60Hz was 2ms. I never owned a slow pixel response display.
I used to think that, but it seems odd that a higher spec monitor would sacrifice smoothness for sharpness...I don't think it's the intended effect of the brand.
However, size also matters. What happens if you switch to 1920x1080 and disable scaling so that you get a smaller image in the center with black bars around it? Does the effect become less visible then? What size was your previous monitor?
I might try that, but even if it did improve, I don't want to use this 2K 144Hz monitor at 1080P with black bars...No offence intended, I know you are just trying to help me here.
The previous monitor is 23' at native 1080p connected to a laptop rocking a GTX980M HDMI, and this one is 27' at 2K on a tower PC with a GTX1070 Displayport.

Thanks man!

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 16:06

Forgot to mention, it also happens when I scroll web pages. Similar to the "Compare Frame Rates:Vertical Scrolling" test.

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 19:19

RealNC wrote:Maybe you're in a similar position as the creator of this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5377
I've been digging around the interpolation issue of local playing, the player that you suggested is very tempting! But I'm trying to use VLC as the only player on this PC, and I found a thing called DmitriRender, will it have a similar effect?

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 19:27

Come to think of it, are 24FPS, 30FPS videos never meant to run smoothly on say a 120Hz or 144Hz monitor?
Can't we have both smooth video and smooth 3D high FPS rendering at the same time?
Is that the origin of my "problem"?

What about the web page scrolling(or local text file scrolling), then?
My head is gonna explode...

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2019, 20:36

DmitriRender is doing the same thing as SVP: motion based interpolation. It also works through DirectShow, so if VLC can use DirectShow as output, then it should work. I expect it to have the same motion artifacts as SVP though.

120Hz is able to play back 24FPS, 30FPS and 60FPS perfectly. 144Hz can only play 24FPS. The others will have some stutter unless you use some form of interpolation.

No idea why you can that effect when scrolling. The web browser should scroll at the same FPS as the Hz the desktop is set at. So at 120Hz, you should be getting 120FPS scrolling. No idea why that isn't the case...

And yes, heads are known to have exploded in the past. It's a lot of information to process :-P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

susalars

Post by susalars » 04 Jun 2019, 20:53

RealNC wrote:DmitriRender is doing the same thing as SVP: motion based interpolation. It also works through DirectShow, so if VLC can use DirectShow as output, then it should work. I expect it to have the same motion artifacts as SVP though.

120Hz is able to play back 24FPS, 30FPS and 60FPS perfectly. 144Hz can only play 24FPS. The others will have some stutter unless you use some form of interpolation.

No idea why you can that effect when scrolling. The web browser should scroll at the same FPS as the Hz the desktop is set at. So at 120Hz, you should be getting 120FPS scrolling. No idea why that isn't the case...

And yes, heads are known to have exploded in the past. It's a lot of information to process :-P
Heh well said, sir!
Trying out the SMplayer with MPV engine and your suggested command lines(with output set to GPU). Under 120Hz or 60Hz desktop refreshrate, I didn't notice much of an improvment on the problem...I think I followed the instruction exactly...Hmmm...Is there a way to tweak the "intensity" of the MPV goodness?