Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MatrixQW

Re: Asus XG258 Questionable Overdrive

Post by MatrixQW » 04 Jun 2019, 05:45

ogchampion wrote:I received an XG258Q in for testing last week (July 2018 build) and agree the overdrive/overshoot is unacceptable for me personally.

The overshoot issues are particularly bad in Apex Legends where it's really obvious on every tree/rock/wall edge/etc.

I can confirm it is very fast with regards to input lag.
I'm curious. What about web scrolling? Is it blurry?

Paft

Post by Paft » 04 Jun 2019, 12:27

MatrixQW wrote:
ogchampion wrote:I received an XG258Q in for testing last week (July 2018 build) and agree the overdrive/overshoot is unacceptable for me personally.

The overshoot issues are particularly bad in Apex Legends where it's really obvious on every tree/rock/wall edge/etc.

I can confirm it is very fast with regards to input lag.
I'm curious. What about web scrolling? Is it blurry?
Yes, OD 3 or higher looks awful. I wouldn't say blurry but the overdrive/overshoot is very noticeable. More so on white light text/dark background. You can still notice it at 2 but it's acceptable enough...

Game wise..OD 3 it doesn't seem as noticeable (but still clearly there) in modern games compared old games like Quake or in my case Team Fortress Classic which has basic colours and textures. It is very noticeable in TFC.

--------------------------

Thanks for all the input people.

I wasn't aware of a 0.5ms model. But after using this one I doubt I'd pay full price for a new model... It's why I went used. The prices start getting silly especially the G-sync models.

It only feels like a light upgrade going from 144Hz 1080p to 240Hz 1080p, so factor in the prices for new models it doesn't seem worth it given how bad the overdrive/overshoot is at default.

Haven't decided yet whether to keep it or return it and use the money towards a decent 1440p IPS.

edit: It's a shame they're still using those crappy huge crosshairs Since the vg248qe. They added a red or green dot option on some model..I noticed in google images.

edit 2: It seems to be auto switching back to the default 'racing' profile a lot. Not sure what's causing it yet.
Last edited by Paft on 05 Jun 2019, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 04 Jun 2019, 21:33

I don't understand Notty. He doesn't accept VG258QR overdrive but accepts XG258Q overdrive.

Are you activating blue light filter?
On my monitor it switches to racing profile when I turn it 'on'.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 04 Jun 2019, 21:47

I wouldn´t even compare VG258QR bad overdrive with XG258Q one :D Is way worse on the VG258QR, wich has legitimately one of the worst overdrive problems I ever seen on a monitor! It was so bad that even scrolling on web pages was a pain to me as I explained on its thread.

Now, other people are happy with it, maybe it was my sample and I didn´t have the chance to try another one as that monitor is crazy expensive for what it is.

XG258Q has a shadowing effect but nothing compared to the VG258QR.

I don´t use Low blue filter.

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 04 Jun 2019, 22:03

If I had a decent camera I could show you that I don't have those huge problems, so it's not as bad as you put it.
Only thing noticeable is web scrolling that is not completely clear and mouse cursor gets a black shadow on desktop. I can live with that.
But in games there is nothing visible with the settings I posted on the monitor topic.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 04 Jun 2019, 22:10

I never ruled out it could be my sample, but imagine we go and reccomend this model to someone, and it has a similar model to mine? See the problem? I just can´t reccomend that monitor after what I seen, and to make it worse, on reddit there are people complaining a lot too and I don´t even have reddit account or post there, so it wasn´t me starting it. I never had such a bad experience with a crappy overdrive as I did with that model, I really hope and I believe your model doesn´t suffer form the same thing. Usually when you scroll down on a website and you can´t read any word anymore because it all gets messed up, is a very bad sign.

The overdrive was so bad to the point of me playing Pro Evolution Soccer and the pitch changing colour on every long pass. I mean, totally unaceptable to me.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 05 Jun 2019, 00:58

VG258QR user here.I also play PES 2019 regularly and yes the hardest difficulty is really pain in the a.. :D
Even with TF:100 I dont see anything bad on my screen when playing PES or any other games.But yes maybe I was lucky because this monitor made me a super happy gamer.:) (Maybe I am lying.Hey dont believe everyone on the internet.Hahah :D )

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 05 Jun 2019, 06:16

So you telling me even at Trace Free 100 you don´t see any artifact? Well, ok, in that case you guys have the best monitor ever, because I can´t remember seeing a monitor on its maximum overdrive setting not showing a single artifact!

When I see a good price for the VG258QR I will try another sample and see how it goes, but for 300€ and with the problems my unit had is on my "ignore list" for now :D I even remember a streamer getting it when it was released and complaining a lot on his stream that he couldn´t even use trace free 40 without awful overdrive! I wish I had that VOD, but I think someone posted it here on the forum. Thing is that when you search for something, you have to wait several minutes for the forum to allow you to search again and I can´t find it.

EDIT: For now, only found this from pox, another monitor enthusiast on this forum:
pox02 wrote:above trace free 40 its cause ghosting/overshoot/trailing :x
pox02 wrote:i ask twitch streamer that have this monitor https://www.twitch.tv/soulmercs he told me default could be 60 but its cause ghosting so he reduce it to 40

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 05 Jun 2019, 08:25

English is not my native language so I may not be able to explain myself perfectly.I apologize for that.:)
There of course is reverse or color ghosting when in games but it is not that bad or annoying.You can play games perfectly.I can play PES without any problem really.Only problem is I still cant find a tactic to dominate hardest level AI in 2019.I could do that in PES 2018!:)
Of course web surfing is not good when you use this monitor with TF:100 but there is a fix for that.If you disable Windows own vertical sync (I really dont know which setting is that,it is windows setting,not gpu setting) I dont see any color,reverse ghosting anymore when I surf websites.I saw a lot especially when I surf this website very bright background.But now there is zero reverse/color ghosting on this website.And also this monitor gives no tearing when vsync off.It is amazing basically.I am a very happy gamer.But if it is expensive to buy,then dont buy it.You already have the best monitors Notty.Please relax,use and enjoy your recent monitors.:)

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 05 Jun 2019, 10:07

Notty_PT wrote:I never ruled out it could be my sample, but imagine we go and reccomend this model to someone, and it has a similar model to mine?
Sure, but there are also people here saying that XG258Q overdrive is not acceptable while you say it's ok.