I dont think my GSync is working.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
yungracks

I dont think my GSync is working.

Post by yungracks » 09 Jun 2019, 15:15

Hey,

I got the acer predator xb241h since a while and it has GSync technology.
I dont think its working, no LED goes burning.

My frames feel super bad when i go below my refreshrate.
The indicator says GSync on but it even says that when im above my refreshrate.

Is there a way to check if GSync actually does work?
Also, i got flickers in loading screens aswell if thats helps.

Specs: 1080 ti, i7 7700k, 16gb ram.
Monitors: Acer predator xb241h 180hz, optix mag241c 144hz.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: I dont think my GSync is working.

Post by RealNC » 09 Jun 2019, 15:28

Enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia control panel:

Restart the game. There should be a huge "G-SYNC" logo visible to the left.

If you got more than one monitor, disconnect them (don't just turn them off, but disconnect their cable) and reboot. gsync has issues with multiple monitors.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Jun 2019, 16:03

yungracks wrote:My frames feel super bad when i go below my refreshrate.
As I've informed you already, G-SYNC can't make framerates below the refresh rate feel any faster than with standalone V-SYNC or V-SYNC OFF. All it can do is deliver frames in sync with the monitor without adding input lag or sync-stutter. Low framerates still feel like low framerates.
yungracks wrote: Also, i got flickers in loading screens aswell if thats helps.
If you see flicker at low refresh/framerates in loading screen, that 100% means G-SYNC is working.

Judging by all your threads thus far, It seems like you're expect G-SYNC to do more than it actually does.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Jun 2019, 17:39

To be fair, there's been G-SYNC bugs over time.
Operating system issues. Driver issues. Game issues.

But there definitely should be noticeably less stutters in most framerate-fluctuating games. Pay attention to the erratic stutters, not the big-pause stutters. GSYNC doesn't fix big-pause stutters (e.g. disk access stutters).

GSYNC can improve or fix this kind of stutter.

That's the kind of stutter that is reduceable/fixable by GSYNC in some games.
GSYNC can smooth those continuous "single dropped-frame" type of stutters.
GSYNC won't fix those random "freeze" stutters like disk accesses, system freezes, brief game engine pauses, etc

GSYNC fixes those single-framedrop-style stutters. But GSYNC won't fix the appearance of smooth 30fps versus smooth 60fps though can make the framerate transition more seamless as long as the framerate change is gradual. Slow framerate changes create random stutter (common dropped-frame stutter), and that random stutter is the part that GSYNC can fix.
Creating a visually seamless framerate transition (demo of GSYNC versus VSYNC ON).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 10 Jun 2019, 07:36

RealNC wrote:Enable the g-sync indicator in the nvidia control panel:

If you got more than one monitor, disconnect them (don't just turn them off, but disconnect their cable) and reboot. gsync has issues with multiple monitors.
Yes i already wrote that i did that and it says GSync on but thats even when im at 400 FPS lol, so thats confusing.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Jun 2019, 08:27

yungracks wrote:

Yes i already wrote that i did that and it says GSync on but thats even when im at 400 FPS lol, so thats confusing.
That indicator only tells you G-SYNC "mode" is active and ready, not that it is actually adjusting the refresh rate to the framerate at that point in time...

Like, say you have G-SYNC enabled, but the V-SYNC option disabled on a 180Hz monitor and you're getting 400 FPS; since the V-SYNC option is off AND you don't have an FPS limit set within the refresh rate, when the FPS hits or exceeds 180, G-SYNC deactivates and you're getting plain old, standalone V-SYNC OFF until the framerate drops within the refresh rate again, at which point G-SYNC begins to adjust the refresh rate to the framerate.

In these instances, the G-SYNC indicator will still appear, whether it is currently "active" or not. Unlike the monitor's built-in meter, it can't tell you when it's jumping in and out of the G-SYNC range (like in the above scenario). All it tells you is whether the G-SYNC option is enabled in the NVCP, and whether the current game supports/accepts G-SYNC functionality.

Again, if you want to see if/when G-SYNC is actually adjusting the refresh rate to the framerate, use your monitor's built-in meter. If the framerate is within the refresh rate and G-SYNC is working, the meter will move. If G-SYNC isn't working (either because it is disabled in the control panel, the framerate is above the refresh rate, or you're using borderless/windowed mode and the game window is unfocused; like when you're using your mouse on another window in secondary monitor, etc), the meter will stay at your max refresh rate number (144, 180, 240, etc), and it won't move.

Also, have you read my G-SYNC 101 series? Because there is a lot of basic (as well as in-depth) G-SYNC info that may help answer/address some of your existing questions/concerns.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 10 Jun 2019, 10:48

jorimt wrote:
yungracks wrote:

That indicator only tells you G-SYNC "mode" is active and ready, not that it is actually adjusting the refresh rate to the framerate at that point in time...

Like, say you have G-SYNC enabled, but the V-SYNC option disabled on a 180Hz monitor and you're getting 400 FPS; since the V-SYNC option is off AND you don't have an FPS limit set within the refresh rate, when the FPS hits or exceeds 180, G-SYNC deactivates and you're getting plain old, standalone V-SYNC OFF until the framerate drops within the refresh rate again, at which point G-SYNC begins to adjust the refresh rate to the framerate.

In these instances, the G-SYNC indicator will still appear, whether it is currently "active" or not. Unlike the monitor's built-in meter, it can't tell you when it's jumping in and out of the G-SYNC range (like in the above scenario). All it tells you is whether the G-SYNC option is enabled in the NVCP, and whether the current game supports/accepts G-SYNC functionality.

Again, if you want to see if/when G-SYNC is actually adjusting the refresh rate to the framerate, use your monitor's built-in meter. If the framerate is within the refresh rate and G-SYNC is working, the meter will move. If G-SYNC isn't working (either because it is disabled in the control panel, the framerate is above the refresh rate, or you're using borderless/windowed mode and the game window is unfocused; like when you're using your mouse on another window in secondary monitor, etc), the meter will stay at your max refresh rate number (144, 180, 240, etc), and it won't move.

Also, have you read my G-SYNC 101 series? Because there is a lot of basic (as well as in-depth) G-SYNC info that may help answer/address some of your existing questions/concerns.
I mean GSync works cause its below 180 with the indicator & i got no tears, but my frames dont feel smooth, i recorded it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrV_cncJwa8

First you see me 180 fps smooth & than 120 unsmooth

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 10 Jun 2019, 12:19

yungracks wrote:First you see me 180 fps smooth & than 120 unsmooth
It's what I've been telling you; it's the direct contrast between 180> FPS @180Hz and <120 FPS @180Hz.

Lower framerates (especially when well inside the max refresh rate) always feel worse/less smooth/laggier than framerates at or above the refresh rate. The lower the framerate, the less updates to the screen there are per second.

For instance, when you play a console game at a rock solid 30 FPS 100% of the time using a 60Hz display, it feels fine. But then, if you play that same game via a PC port at 60 FPS on a 60Hz display, 30 FPS all of the sudden feels horrible. And then you play that same game at 120 FPS on a 120Hz display, and all of the sudden 60 FPS feels horrible.

With a high Hz G-SYNC display, when the framerate plummets, you can see this difference happen immediately in real-time as G-SYNC lowers the refresh rate to match. There's no time to "get used" to a lower framerate (like with the above scenarios), thus the difference is more noticeable.

G-SYNC can't and won't fix this. G-SYNC won't make lower framerates feel higher than they are, or make them feel the same as higher framerates on high refresh rate displays.

G-SYNC can only:

1. Eliminate sync-induced stutter within the refresh rate (it can't fix system stutter from background asset loading/HDD/SSD access, poor network performance, etc).
2. Eliminate tearing within the refresh rate.
3. Eliminate V-SYNC input lag within the refresh rate (it can't eliminate input lag caused directly by lower framerates).
4. Smooth the transition from higher framerates to lower framerates and visa-vera within the refresh rate (it can't prevent lower framerates from feeling worse than higher framerates).

If you want to avoid what you've been describing, lower your graphics settings and/or resolution until you can sustain higher framerates at all times, or find the lowest framerate your game drops to and cap the FPS to that to keep everything feeling consistent.

yungracks

Post by yungracks » 10 Jun 2019, 16:07

jorimt wrote:
yungracks wrote:First you see me 180 fps smooth & than 120 unsmooth
It's what I've been telling you; it's the direct contrast between 180> FPS @180Hz and <120 FPS @180Hz.

Lower framerates (especially when well inside the max refresh rate) always feel worse/less smooth/laggier than framerates at or above the refresh rate. The lower the framerate, the less updates to the screen there are per second.

For instance, when you play a console game at a rock solid 30 FPS 100% of the time using a 60Hz display, it feels fine. But then, if you play that same game via a PC port at 60 FPS on a 60Hz display, 30 FPS all of the sudden feels horrible. And then you play that same game at 120 FPS on a 120Hz display, and all of the sudden 60 FPS feels horrible.

With a high Hz G-SYNC display, when the framerate plummets, you can see this difference happen immediately in real-time as G-SYNC lowers the refresh rate to match. There's no time to "get used" to a lower framerate (like with the above scenarios), thus the difference is more noticeable.
Thank you!

G-SYNC can't and won't fix this. G-SYNC won't make lower framerates feel higher than they are, or make them feel the same as higher framerates on high refresh rate displays.

G-SYNC can only:

1. Eliminate sync-induced stutter within the refresh rate (it can't fix system stutter from background asset loading/HDD/SSD access, poor network performance, etc).
2. Eliminate tearing within the refresh rate.
3. Eliminate V-SYNC input lag within the refresh rate (it can't eliminate input lag caused directly by lower framerates).
4. Smooth the transition from higher framerates to lower framerates and visa-vera within the refresh rate (it can't prevent lower framerates from feeling worse than higher framerates).

If you want to avoid what you've been describing, lower your graphics settings and/or resolution until you can sustain higher framerates at all times, or find the lowest framerate your game drops to and cap the FPS to that to keep everything feeling consistent.