AMD Radeon AntiLag

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Stitch7

AMD Radeon AntiLag

Post by Stitch7 » 10 Jun 2019, 19:44

It seems like there is currently no further explanation in this but they claim it is essentially decresing input lag relative to the framerate by untying the input and the fps. If I misunderstood it please do correct me but that would be a huge leap forward in terms of software. Imagine higher polling rates combined with this technology. I'm hyped.

open

Re: AMD Radeon AntiLag

Post by open » 11 Jun 2019, 00:05

The first clue is that they said it has to do with software that exists between the gpu and the monitor. I'm not sure if they meant software specifically on the gpu or not. But those were the words they used.

The second clue is that they showed data that they said was from a 60fps situation. The lag goes from ~55ms to ~45ms.

This may be a vsync related optimization. At 60fps and with the vsync mode not specified there are certainly many possibilities for input lag reduction. I would love to see it be something cool and new.

Perhaps they dynamically shift the rendering constraints to start work at a later time in constrained vsync rendering. Perhaps it works like fast sync requiring much higher fps than refresh rate for maximum benefit. Perhaps it involves more with extra driver optimizations working in conjunction with refresh timing related techniques.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Jun 2019, 01:22

open wrote:Perhaps it works like fast sync requiring much higher fps than refresh rate for maximum benefit.
Nah, they already have that ("AMD Enhanced Sync"). It has to be something else. But everything they said so far is too confusing.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

mello

Post by mello » 11 Jun 2019, 01:53

Don't get your hopes up. There is a reason why they used 60fps scenario. My bet is it won't do anything at high fps/high hz scenarios.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jun 2019, 08:23

AMD doesn't currently have a user-side max pre-rendered frames setting exposed/available, right? Perhaps this trick (at least partially) relies on a reduced pre-rendered CPU and/or GPU frames queue?

That, or some sort of "early" detection or prediction of user input, as they said it's going to be decoupled of framerate, apparently. I've seen similar techniques used in emulators. E.g. RetroArch's "Early" "Poll Type Behaviour" option, where user input is supposedly read before the frame is processed.

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ko4

Post by ko4 » 11 Jun 2019, 10:51

GPU bottleneck can cause input lag in some games, this seems to be a fix/optimization for it

Simon95

Post by Simon95 » 11 Jun 2019, 11:37

Did they made this test with vsync off? I remember that Nvidia promoted the GTX 750 with a big input lag reduction. But there was no difference compared to ohther graphic cards.

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 11 Jun 2019, 17:27

jorimt wrote:AMD doesn't currently have a user-side max pre-rendered frames setting exposed/available, right?
I think radeon pro software has some sort of option like that. Im not too sure

Stitch7

Post by Stitch7 » 11 Jun 2019, 17:31

Simon95 wrote:Did they made this test with vsync off? I remember that Nvidia promoted the GTX 750 with a big input lag reduction. But there was no difference compared to ohther graphic cards.
This is a software/hardware reduction. This most likely is not bs. Espescially since the developer explained it as untying the framerate from the input polling. What concerns me is them saying it is mechanical input to monitor pixel response time. Could also be software driven overdrive or something. I hope it's untied polling.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 11 Jun 2019, 23:10

For what it's worth:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/nvidia- ... lternative
Tony Tamasi, VP of technical marketing, says [Nvidia] has an alternative to [Radeon Anti-lag] too… and has done for over a decade [...] That’s the setting ‘maximum pre-rendered frames’ in the GeForce control panel, which controls the size of the Flip Queue. The higher the number here, the higher the lag between your input and the displayed frame, while lower queue lengths result in less lag but increased strain on your CPU.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)