Overclock to 147hz to use Gsync with 144fps

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
comemierda

Overclock to 147hz to use Gsync with 144fps

Post by comemierda » 10 Jun 2019, 14:31

I have a Viewsonig XG2401, now compatible with g-sync.
You guys recommend a -3fps cap, so in my case, I would have to cap games to 141fps.
But what if I overclock the display to 147hz and cap the games at 144 fps? Would that also work?

Also what if I increase G-sync range to 147hz with toastyx's CRU? Would I still need to cap the games at 141fps while running 144hz?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Overclock to 147hz to use Gsync with 144fps

Post by RealNC » 10 Jun 2019, 15:10

Maybe. But... why? There isn't going to be any difference with a 3FPS increase.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

comemierda

Post by comemierda » 10 Jun 2019, 20:23

Why not? :P It doesnt take any effort to do

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2019, 18:40

As a general rule of thumb, if the manufacturer doesn't advertise overclocking, the G-SYNC monitor is often not overclockable.

Keep in mind that overdrive gets worse during overclocking, so 147Hz may be blurrier than 144Hz in some cases -- I've seen some monitors become blurrier at max-Hz than at optimal-Hz because of a major degradation in overdrive.

Not all manufacturers provide overclock-optimized overdrive tuning. Occasionally, GtG pixel response increases more than the time differential of (1/144sec) - (1/147sec) ~= 0.142ms = 142 microsecond difference in one refresh cycle time between 144Hz and 147Hz. You never want GtG pixel response to worsen faster than the refreshtime difference, otherwise higher Hz becomes blurrier!

This does not always happen, but it happens. This is something to bear in mind!

If the number 141 bothers you, use a 140 cap. Nicer number. ;)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

comemierda

Post by comemierda » 12 Jun 2019, 07:00

Thanks, thought a +3hz overclock would not affect stuff like GtG ms.
Im fine with 141fps, I was just curious as if this could be a solution to use 144fps.

What about increasing g-sync range to 147hz on toastyx's CRU, but capping the game at 144fps?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Jun 2019, 14:50

The frame time difference (and by extension also motion blur difference) between 141FPS and 144FPS is 0.1ms. There really, really is no difference. Neither in motion blur nor in latency. If you wanted to go to something like 200Hz, which would be a difference of 2ms in latency and blur, then yeah, that would be a noticeable difference, especially in motion blur. But 141 vs 144? No point whatsoever. The higher the refresh rate gets, the less difference a fixed increase in Hz makes. For example, 57FPS vs 60FPS makes somewhat of a difference (0.8ms). But once you get to high refresh rates like 144, a difference of 3 means absolutely nothing.

Just use 141FPS and be happy :) You really are losing absolutely nothing whatsoever compared to 144FPS.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2019, 15:47

3fps is noticeable at 30fps non-VRR, but certainly not at 144fps VRR.

There's no such thing as a framedrop with GSYNC or FreeSync -- since there's no missed VSYNCs. The monitor waits for the game instead! You don't have human visible "stutter-differences" between 141fps vs 144fps vs 147fps if those framerates are within the VRR range of the monitor.

When stutter-differences are gone, the primary differences is motion blur (as long as pixel response time doesn't enroach significantly into refresh time -- that's why 144Hz-vs-165Hz is bigger on TN panels than IPS panels). As a rule of thumb, you need to increase frame rates and refresh rate by at least 25-50% to be truly noticeable. Some can notice much smaller than that. So thusly the geometerically big jumps recommended 60Hz -> 120Hz -> 240Hz -> 480Hz recommended for refresh rate race towards retina refresh rates of the future.

However, a 3fps difference with variable refresh rate (during triple-digit refresh rate operation) is generally not human-visible.

It might be possible to overclock to 147Hz without seeing any degradations, but the degradation hump may come more quickly on some panels, it's all about the "ultra-tiny improvement":"ultra-tiny degradation" ratio that 3fps will give, in terms of the "slight overclock:slight degrade" fighting against each other. The more overclock, the more improvement in Hz but the more potential GtG performance degradation might occur. But at these small differentials, it doesn't matter.

3fps probably may not tip the scales but regardless, 3fps is not worth worrying about because there's no such thing as a framedrop with GSYNC or FreeSync.

3fps does create stutter differences if you're trying to do fixed-Hz (e.g. framerate=Hz) since 3fps-differential stutter is indeed visible for fixed-Hz operation.

But with GSYNC -- nope, nada, zilch, zip -- there's no such thing as a "missed VSYNC" framedrop with GSYNC -- 1fps framerate differences are essentially completely erased from human-perceivable visibility. Even in other measurement arenas, the difference of 0.25ms GtG vs 0.5ms pixel response is more human-visible than the 3fps difference during VRR operation (e.g. well-framepaced 141fps versus well-framepaced 144fps).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

comemierda

Post by comemierda » 15 Jun 2019, 11:42

Thanks for the replies.