24gl600f

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jason38

Re: 24gl600f

Post by Jason38 » 12 Jun 2019, 12:34

This monitor is incredible. I have been playing my RetroAVS which is FPGA for NES carts and it's just unbelievable. Contrast at 50 overdrive on max and visually I can't see any problems with blur. 8 hour gaming sessions no eye strain.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Jun 2019, 16:54

This monitor is a gem. A matured LG 144hz panel with the perfect size for 1080p and competitive gaming imo. It needs a version wirh height adjustement.

But tbh for 180€ no one can complain.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 13 Jun 2019, 13:03

I nominate this monitor for best console gaming monitor. Beating out the Benq2411p because the over drive feature allows me to play old systems with no eyestrain. You have to use the 60hz strobing on the benq and it's immediate eye pain for me. I just gave this LG monitor the Sonic 2 test and it is so playable. I played it on my Mega SG(FPGA). It's not CRT quality but it's the best I have ever seen on LED for old consoles.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Jun 2019, 16:19

You are using max overdrive with contrast 50? I need to give it a go! When I tried the max it had artifacts, but the next option had 0 artifacts, as good as XG2402 (Viewsonic, well known for its high end overdrive).

oof_oof

Post by oof_oof » 13 Jun 2019, 16:58

do you own both the xg258q and this 24gl600f Notty??

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 13 Jun 2019, 17:49

Does lowering the contrast setting in the OSD to improve response hurt the contrast ratio, or was it set too high from factory?

Anyone check this monitor with colorimeter? Might get one is it beats my XG240R's unexciting 93% sRGB coverage and 720:1 contrast.

Edit: just noticed this monitor has "extended" and "basic" freesync options... Cheap low quality scaler chip in use? :? :? Brightness flickering and artifacts in extended mode?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Jun 2019, 20:27

whitepuzzle wrote:Does lowering the contrast setting in the OSD to improve response hurt the contrast ratio
Yes, unfortunately.

This is because overdrive algorithms depends on "overshoot room". Having room below black, and room above whites, helps overdrive to work better. So you're trading pick-a-poison, reducing contrast for getting better overdrive (less ghosting, less strobe crosstalk). This is a compromise that often has to be made on LCD panels.

Fortunately you only need to reduce color gamut by maybe 5%-10% to see massive improvements in strobe crosstalk if overdrive is interfering with strobe quality (e.g. 80%-90% reduction in strobe crosstalk for motion blur reduction modes such as ULMB!)
whitepuzzle wrote:or was it set too high from factory?
No, it's simply law of physics of how overdrive algorithms work.

It's often a manufacturer decision what to prioritize: Prioritize maximum color gamut OR prioritize fastest pixel response for all color combinations.

Pixel response is often slower at either the minimum or the maximum, and often slower when moving towards them than away from them since overdrive is essentially (mathematically effectively) disabled for those specific pixels even if you have overdrive set to maximum for the whole panel, because the color-pair (original pixel color, new pixel color) disallows overdrive headroom.

Slight gamut reduction allows you to use the outside edges of the gamut as overdrive overshoot headroom, thus having unform pixel response speedups. For example, you need to use full-white to speed up a pixel transition from dark-grey to light-grey. But a pixel transition from dark-grey to white, can be impossible to speed up to faster response, since there's no overdrive headroom above white without intentionally reducing the digital white level.

It's par for the course, a tradeoff effect -- is the manufacturer prioritizing on contrast ratio, or is the manufacturer prioritizing on uniform pixel response speed for all colors, etc.

Faster native pixel response (without needing overdrive) helps a lot to reduce the tradeoff effect, and that is already happening, but we still need a slight amount of overdrive to reduce ghosting of many LCD panels, especially at high refresh rates. The higher the refresh rate, the more necessary overdrive algorithms become.
whitepuzzle wrote:Anyone check this monitor with colorimeter? Might get one is it beats my XG240R's unexciting 93% sRGB coverage and 720:1 contrast.
One can use some overkill gamut coverage (e.g. >100% RGB coverage) so you have gamutroom to reduce contrast to improve strobe quality.

Until we have native 0.5ms GtG without overdrive, we are in a pick-your-poison fight for people who are super-picky about ghosting problems / overdrive problems / strobe crosstalk.

Also keep in mind, enabling FreeSync on some models of monitors, automatically disables overdrive. If you are worried about ghosting quality during FreeSync or GSYNC, choose AMD FreeSync monitors officially certified by NVIDIA as "G-SYNC Compatible" even if you plan to use an AMD card. Those monitors typically have less ghosting than the average FreeSync monitor -- even if you use an AMD card with them.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 13 Jun 2019, 21:12

At any rate I found the OD on my 27GK750F in "fast" mode (second fastest setting) and without touching contrast or RGB gain, to be decent, with an acceptable amount of overshoot. One would hope this new 144Hz LG panel couldn't possibly be any worse.

I looked at hardwareunboxed's review and they got 95% sRGB and 1,100:1 contrast on their 24GL600F. Not bad, but I don't think it's worth the upgrade over my XG240R unless a G-sync version comes out.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 14 Jun 2019, 01:32

oof_oof wrote:do you own both the xg258q and this 24gl600f Notty??
Yes I do!

TN_fun

Post by TN_fun » 26 Jun 2019, 11:11

Hey. I am looking for information about this monitor.
- what is the minimum brightness? Is not too bright?
- Is the matte anti-glare as 24 "and 24.5" or better? Is the graininess the same as on these panels or less?
- any inversion artifacts, scan lines? 24 has pixel inversion, 24.5 have vertical scan lines.
Is there something here?
- freesync. Does it work well? Does overdrive work with freesync or is it completely off?
Thanks