Strobing effect when watching youtube or local media files

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Strobing effect when watching youtube or local media fil

Post by RealNC » 05 Jun 2019, 14:39

susalars wrote:Trying out the SMplayer with MPV engine and your suggested command lines(with output set to GPU). Under 120Hz or 60Hz desktop refreshrate, I didn't notice much of an improvment on the problem...I think I followed the instruction exactly...Hmmm...Is there a way to tweak the "intensity" of the MPV goodness?
Read the thread from the last post. The early posts had the wrong parameters. Use this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5377&start=20#p41109

Also, this will only work at 60Hz. When using 120 or 144, no interpolation will be performed, since 24FPS can be played perfectly at these Hz. 60Hz can not play 24FPS perfectly, and MPV will then interpolate to 30FPS. If you use 100Hz, then it will interpolate to 25FPS. You get the idea, I hope :-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jun 2019, 16:30

susalars wrote:The stutter doesn't seems to be regular, it only happens when there is obvious movement involved.
Are you able to take a high speed video of http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping running in full screen mode? (maximized)

iOS and Android phones usually have a high speed video feature.

Switch to the highest refresh rate & video frame rates that are matching.
Use 120fps video speed for 120Hz refresh, and 240fps video speed for 240Hz refresh.

While this is not conventional use of frameskipping, this will help me with remote analysis of irregular stutter. If you can do a slo-mo video of a high speed video framerate that's fairly well-matched (within 1%) of the refresh rate -- this will determine if there's an additional unforeseen factor that's causing what you're seeing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

susalars

Post by susalars » 06 Jun 2019, 00:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
susalars wrote:The stutter doesn't seems to be regular, it only happens when there is obvious movement involved.
Are you able to take a high speed video of http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping running in full screen mode? (maximized)

iOS and Android phones usually have a high speed video feature.

Switch to the highest refresh rate & video frame rates that are matching.
Use 120fps video speed for 120Hz refresh, and 240fps video speed for 240Hz refresh.
I just checked my phone(Oneplus 6), it only support 1080P@60fps, or 4K@60fps, and no slowmo function... Should I set the PC desktop refreash rate to 60Hz and shoot the video?
I can try install a camera APP on my phone...

susalars

Post by susalars » 06 Jun 2019, 00:55

RealNC wrote:
susalars wrote:Trying out the SMplayer with MPV engine and your suggested command lines(with output set to GPU). Under 120Hz or 60Hz desktop refreshrate, I didn't notice much of an improvment on the problem...I think I followed the instruction exactly...Hmmm...Is there a way to tweak the "intensity" of the MPV goodness?
Read the thread from the last post. The early posts had the wrong parameters. Use this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5377&start=20#p41109

Also, this will only work at 60Hz. When using 120 or 144, no interpolation will be performed, since 24FPS can be played perfectly at these Hz. 60Hz can not play 24FPS perfectly, and MPV will then interpolate to 30FPS. If you use 100Hz, then it will interpolate to 25FPS. You get the idea, I hope :-)
Yes, I followed the later post's instruction under 60Hz. I can see a little improvment if I switch back and forth between the SMplayer and the VLC, but not much.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Jun 2019, 11:11

Is the video you're testing 24FPS or 30FPS? And did you also change the video output to "gpu" as described in that post?

Also, try a smoother filter. They are documented here, in the "--tscale=" option:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#gpu-renderer-options

The smoothest is "--tscale=bicubic".
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

susalars

Post by susalars » 07 Jun 2019, 13:25

RealNC wrote:Is the video you're testing 24FPS or 30FPS? And did you also change the video output to "gpu" as described in that post?

Also, try a smoother filter. They are documented here, in the "--tscale=" option:

https://mpv.io/manual/master/#gpu-renderer-options

The smoothest is "--tscale=bicubic".
Yes, the video is 24FPS, and I changed the output to gpu as described.
I'll try the new command line. Thanks!

susalars

Post by susalars » 17 Jun 2019, 06:45

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Hi, I finally recorded a video(Nikon D5300 at 50FPS pointing at my screen):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cO4u5 ... M7fNRghBRh

I forgot to include the frameskipping test that you mentioned(I feel like an idiot) ,
but I think the video does show the issue that I'm talking about. Hope it helps!

susalars

Post by susalars » 25 Jun 2019, 21:57

Hi, I figured out how to record slowmo in 1080P 240FPS and 720P 480FPS(the only 2 slowmo modes on my phone).
Desktop refresh rate set to 120Hz.

Here is the 720P 480FPS shot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mAINz ... SJ7GuPzUil

Here is the 1080P 240FPS shot:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S6WD7 ... y8D-_4Frax

Hope that helps!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 26 Jun 2019, 07:48

It is frame skipping, but the yellow text warning says something, so the test is probably not valid. I can't read it though. What does it say?

susalars

Post by susalars » 26 Jun 2019, 14:23

RealNC wrote:It is frame skipping, but the yellow text warning says something, so the test is probably not valid. I can't read it though. What does it say?
Thanks for the reply!
It says "high CPU consumption" something like that. And I checked the taskmanager while running the test, the CPU is at about 40%.