Every LED monitor causes eyestrain. Please help.

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
rasmas

Re: Every LED monitor causes eyestrain. Please help.

Post by rasmas » 28 May 2019, 12:15

I don't think it is related to your problem but just in case it can help:

SweetFX (only on PC) helped me to avoid eye strain as it helps to improve ingame images.
I'll paste my settings at the bottom. They are for the 1.4 (not 100% sure) version of the tool, so if you use other you'll have to add values manually (if you want to use mine, if not you can use whatever you want; i think you can modify colours too; or you can use their website to use user-made presets: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/ ).

Keep in mind that you don't have to use it on online games as you can get banned.

I could stop using it because, well, i could get banned xD, and because i trained myself (without knowing) by playing a lot of different games (in Steam, games drop Trading Cards, so by playing these i could stand the games better :D ).

As i said, pretty sure this is not related to your problems, but, just in case... ;)

Good luck.

Code: Select all

/*-----------------------------------------------------------.
  /                      Choose effects                         /
  '-----------------------------------------------------------*/

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING  1            // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines.
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN        1            // [0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM              0            // [0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR                0            // [0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR        0            // [0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX                0            // [0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN      1            // [0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP            1            // [0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE           1            // [0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES             1            // [0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA              0            // [0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE           0            // [0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER             0            // [0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN        0            // [0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/                  SMAA Anti-aliasing settings                /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD         0.20         // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS  32           // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16           // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING   25           // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION   1            // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0            // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/                       LumaSharpen settings                  /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength         3.00         // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp            0.04        // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern                2            // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias            1.0          // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
                         // I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen           0            // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/                       Bloom settings                        /
#define BloomThreshold         20.25        // [0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower             1.446        // [0.0000 to 8.0000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth             0.0142       // [0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/                        HDR settings                         /
#define HDRPower               1.30         // [0.0 to 8.0] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2                0.87         // [0.0 to 8.0] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/                      TECHNICOLOR settings                   /
#define TechniAmount           0.11         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define TechniPower            2.8          // [0.0 to 8.0] 
#define redNegativeAmount      0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define greenNegativeAmount    0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define blueNegativeAmount     0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 

/                      Cineon DPX settings                    /
#define Red                    8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 
#define Green                  8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 
#define Blue                   8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 

#define ColorGamma             2.5          // [0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
#define DPXSaturation          3.0          // [0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.

#define RedC                   0.36         // [0.6 to 0.2] 
#define GreenC                 0.36         // [0.6 to 0.2] 
#define BlueC                  0.34         // [0.6 to 0.2] 

#define Blend                  0.2          // [0.0 to 0.1] How strong the effect should be.

/                      Lift Gamma Gain settings               /
#define RGB_Lift               float3(0.935, 0.900, 0.915) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gamma              float3(1.000, 1.000, 0.950) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain               float3(1.020, 1.020, 1.020) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/                        Tonemap settings                     /
#define Gamma                  1.0          // [0.00 to 2.00] Adjust midtones

#define Exposure               0.00         // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust exposure

#define Saturation             0.00         // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust saturation

#define Bleach                 0.00         // [0.00 to 1.00] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors

#define Defog                  0.000        // [0.00 to 1.00] How much of the color tint to remove
#define FogColor               float3(0.00, 0.00, 2.55) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to remove - default is blue

/                       Vibrance settings                     /
#define Vibrance               0.32         // [-1.0 to 1.0] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/                        Curves settings                      /
#define Curves_contrast        0.32         // [-1.0 to 1.0] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula         7            // [1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use. 

/                         Sepia settings                      /
#define ColorTone              float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to tint the image
#define GreyPower              0.11         // [0.0 to 1.0] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
#define SepiaPower             0.58         // [0.0 to 1.0] How much to tint the image

/                       Vignette settings                     /
#define VignetteRadius         2.80         // [-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount         -2.00        // [-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope          3.9            // [1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter         float2(0.500, 0.500) // [0.00 to 1.00] Center of effect.

/                        Dither settings                      /
//No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

//Note that the checkerboard pattern used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
//This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/                     Splitscreen settings                    /
#define splitscreen_mode       1            // [1|2|3|4|5] 1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 29 May 2019, 18:39

rasmas wrote:I don't think it is related to your problem but just in case it can help:

SweetFX (only on PC) helped me to avoid eye strain as it helps to improve ingame images.
I'll paste my settings at the bottom. They are for the 1.4 (not 100% sure) version of the tool, so if you use other you'll have to add values manually (if you want to use mine, if not you can use whatever you want; i think you can modify colours too; or you can use their website to use user-made presets: http://sfx.thelazy.net/games/ ).

Keep in mind that you don't have to use it on online games as you can get banned.

I could stop using it because, well, i could get banned xD, and because i trained myself (without knowing) by playing a lot of different games (in Steam, games drop Trading Cards, so by playing these i could stand the games better :D ).

As i said, pretty sure this is not related to your problems, but, just in case... ;)

Good luck.

Code: Select all

/                      Choose effects                         /

// Set to 1 for ON or 0 for OFF
#define USE_SMAA_ANTIALIASING  1            // [0 or 1] SMAA Anti-aliasing : Smoothens jagged lines.
#define USE_LUMASHARPEN        1            // [0 or 1] LumaSharpen : Also sharpens the antialiased edges which makes them less smooth - I'm working on fixing that.
#define USE_BLOOM              0            // [0 or 1] Bloom : Makes bright lights bleed their light into their surroundings (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_HDR                0            // [0 or 1] HDR : Not actual HDR - It just tries to mimic an HDR look (relatively high performance cost)
#define USE_TECHNICOLOR        0            // [0 or 1] TECHNICOLOR : Attempts to mimic the look of an old movie using the Technicolor three-strip color process (Techicolor Process 4)
#define USE_DPX                0            // [0 or 1] Cineon DPX : Should make the image look like it's been converted to DXP Cineon - basically it's another movie-like look similar to technicolor.
#define USE_LIFTGAMMAGAIN      1            // [0 or 1] Lift Gamma Gain : Adjust brightness and color of shadows, midtones and highlights (avoids clipping)
#define USE_TONEMAP            1            // [0 or 1] Tonemap : Adjust gamma, exposure, saturation, bleach and defog. (may cause clipping)
#define USE_VIBRANCE           1            // [0 or 1] Vibrance : Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.
#define USE_CURVES             1            // [0 or 1] Curves : Contrast adjustments using S-curves.
#define USE_SEPIA              0            // [0 or 1] Sepia : Sepia tones the image.
#define USE_VIGNETTE           0            // [0 or 1] Vignette : Darkens the edges of the image to make it look more like it was shot with a camera lens. May cause banding artifacts.
#define USE_DITHER             0            // [0 or 1] Dither : Applies dithering to simulate more colors than your monitor can display. This lessens banding artifacts (mostly caused by Vignette)
#define USE_SPLITSCREEN        0            // [0 or 1] Splitscreen : Enables the before-and-after splitscreen comparison mode.

/                  SMAA Anti-aliasing settings                /

#define SMAA_THRESHOLD         0.20         // [0.05 to 0.20] Edge detection threshold
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS  32           // [0 to 98] Determines the radius SMAA will search for aliased edges
#define SMAA_MAX_SEARCH_STEPS_DIAG 16           // [0 to 16] Determines the radius SMAA will search for diagonal aliased edges
#define SMAA_CORNER_ROUNDING   25           // [0 to 100] Determines the percent of antialiasing to apply to corners.

// -- Advanced SMAA settings --
#define COLOR_EDGE_DETECTION   1            // [0 or 1] 1 Enables color edge detection (slower but slightly more acurate) - 0 uses luma edge detection (faster)
#define SMAA_DIRECTX9_LINEAR_BLEND 0            // [0 or 1] Using DX9 HARDWARE? (software version doesn't matter) if so this needs to be 1 - If not, leave it at 0.

/                       LumaSharpen settings                  /
// -- Sharpening --
#define sharp_strength         3.00         // [0.10 to 3.00] Strength of the sharpening
#define sharp_clamp            0.04        // [0.000 to 1.000] Limits maximum amount of sharpening a pixel recieves - Default is 0.035

// -- Advanced sharpening settings --
#define pattern                2            // [1|2|3|4] Choose a sample pattern. 1 = Fast, 2 = Normal, 3 = Wider, 4 = Pyramid shaped.
#define offset_bias            1.0          // [0.0 to 6.0] Offset bias adjusts the radius of the sampling pattern.
                         // I designed the pattern for offset_bias 1.0, but feel free to experiment.

// -- Debug sharpening settings --
#define show_sharpen           0            // [0 or 1] Visualize the strength of the sharpen (multiplied by 4 to see it better)

/                       Bloom settings                        /
#define BloomThreshold         20.25        // [0.00 to 50.00] Threshold for what is a bright light (that causes bloom) and what isn't.
#define BloomPower             1.446        // [0.0000 to 8.0000] Strength of the bloom
#define BloomWidth             0.0142       // [0.0000 to 1.0000] Width of the bloom

/                        HDR settings                         /
#define HDRPower               1.30         // [0.0 to 8.0] Strangely lowering this makes the image brighter
#define radius2                0.87         // [0.0 to 8.0] Raising this seems to make the effect stronger and also brighter

/                      TECHNICOLOR settings                   /
#define TechniAmount           0.11         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define TechniPower            2.8          // [0.0 to 8.0] 
#define redNegativeAmount      0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define greenNegativeAmount    0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 
#define blueNegativeAmount     0.88         // [0.0 to 1.0] 

/                      Cineon DPX settings                    /
#define Red                    8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 
#define Green                  8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 
#define Blue                   8.0          // [1.0 to 15.0] 

#define ColorGamma             2.5          // [0.1 to 2.5] Adjusts the colorfulness of the effect in a manner similar to Vibrance. 1.0 is neutral.
#define DPXSaturation          3.0          // [0.0 to 8.0] Adjust saturation of the effect. 1.0 is neutral.

#define RedC                   0.36         // [0.6 to 0.2] 
#define GreenC                 0.36         // [0.6 to 0.2] 
#define BlueC                  0.34         // [0.6 to 0.2] 

#define Blend                  0.2          // [0.0 to 0.1] How strong the effect should be.

/                      Lift Gamma Gain settings               /
#define RGB_Lift               float3(0.935, 0.900, 0.915) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust shadows for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gamma              float3(1.000, 1.000, 0.950) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust midtones for Red, Green and Blue
#define RGB_Gain               float3(1.020, 1.020, 1.020) // [0.000 to 2.000] Adjust highlights for Red, Green and Blue

/                        Tonemap settings                     /
#define Gamma                  1.0          // [0.00 to 2.00] Adjust midtones

#define Exposure               0.00         // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust exposure

#define Saturation             0.00         // [-1.00 to 1.00] Adjust saturation

#define Bleach                 0.00         // [0.00 to 1.00] Brightens the shadows and fades the colors

#define Defog                  0.000        // [0.00 to 1.00] How much of the color tint to remove
#define FogColor               float3(0.00, 0.00, 2.55) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to remove - default is blue

/                       Vibrance settings                     /
#define Vibrance               0.32         // [-1.0 to 1.0] Intelligently saturates (or desaturates if you use negative values) the pixels depending on their original saturation.

/                        Curves settings                      /
#define Curves_contrast        0.32         // [-1.0 to 1.0] The amount of contrast you want

// -- Advanced curve settings --
#define Curves_formula         7            // [1|2|3|4|5|6|7] The constrast s-curve you want to use. 

/                         Sepia settings                      /
#define ColorTone              float3(1.40, 1.10, 0.90) // [0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00, 0.00 to 1.00] What color to tint the image
#define GreyPower              0.11         // [0.0 to 1.0] How much desaturate the image before tinting it
#define SepiaPower             0.58         // [0.0 to 1.0] How much to tint the image

/                       Vignette settings                     /
#define VignetteRadius         2.80         // [-1.00 to 3.00] lower values = stronger radial effect from center
#define VignetteAmount         -2.00        // [-2.00 to 1.00] Strength of black. -2.00 = Max Black, 1.00 = Max White.
#define VignetteSlope          3.9            // [1 to 16] How far away from the center the change should start to really grow strong (odd numbers cause a larger fps drop than even numbers)
#define VignetteCenter         float2(0.500, 0.500) // [0.00 to 1.00] Center of effect.

/                        Dither settings                      /
//No settings yet, beyond switching it on or off in the top section.

//Note that the checkerboard pattern used by Dither, makes an image harder to compress.
//This can make your screenshots and video recordings take up more space.

/                     Splitscreen settings                    /
#define splitscreen_mode       1            // [1|2|3|4|5] 1 = Vertical 50/50 split, 2 = Vertical 25/50/25 split, 3 = Vertical 50/50 angled split, 4 = Horizontal 50/50 split, 5 = Horizontal 25/50/25 split
Thanks but my problem is mostly LED related. Almost a zero tolerance to anything that uses LED.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 29 May 2019, 19:51

This article came out yesterday but it looks like Dell is putting new LED's into their laptop. I wish it was more specific with information. The question remains is it a flicker free laptop? I wish these companies would combine these two things as issues people have with LEDS. Samsung S10 is apparently eye safe certified but it still flickers.

It's kind of cool though because the lights emit less blue light so it's hardware solution not a nonsense software solution. I am going to email them see if I can get an answer.
Part of the article
Dell also partnered with Eye Safe to bring its low blue-light technology as an optional feature to the XPS 13 convertible's displays. This technology embeds new LEDs into the panel that produce blue light that is less harsh than other displays. Before employing any blue-light limiting software, the XPS 13 convertible's display should be easier on the eyes than that of other machines.

link to the article
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05 ... 13-2-in-1/

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 30 Jun 2019, 17:24

I wanted to wait about a month of testing before I posted this just to be sure. Chief I want to thank you for all your help and information really in my opinion you seem to have the most information when it comes to screens and LED's It's just crazy. I originally was going to try the View Sonic 2402 and if that didn't work I was going to buy a new computer and a 240HZ refresh rate monitor. I saw a user on your forum Notty posting about LG Ultragear 24GL600F-B and how amazing it was. So I bought that instead and in 11 - 12 years forget how long this has been going on this is the first monitor that doesn't cause me crazy pain. I get no pain as far as I can tell. I game on it all the time now. I believe because of the info your provided I am able to prove to myself that probably motion blur is probably my biggest problem. LED at 60HZ is really slow and it doesn't matter what panel type I buy it's instant pain. When I run this monitor at the max overdrive settings I have no issues. I have done 8 hour gaming sessions on it no issues now. I have also had my PS4 hooked up to it and my FPGA systems. It seems to run 60hz consoles incredibly and I have never seen anything like this with LED before. You had made mention in this giant thread of information you provided how CRT is easier on the eyes. I was at a garage sale and I picked up a Sony Wega CRT. The interesting thing was when these LED problems started happening all those years ago I couldn't use CRT TV's anymore. This Wega TV gives me no pain. I game on it like crazy now to. I have a N64 hooked up to it and tried my Sega Genesis no issues. I found out that Sony had some sort of patent on the way their TV's were designed and that it's different then every other model of tube TV. All link it here because someone on this site might find it interesting.
https://hackaday.com/2018/01/03/why-son ... -the-best/

This is also the first CRT in years that gives me no pain so it's just unbelievable. I told my wife that I really need to buy a better computer because you keep posting all these new monitors on your forum that look super cool and I don't have a good enough computer to run them. LG UltraGear 27GL850 Gaming Monitor this monitor you posted a couple weeks back the first IPS 1ms GtG Response looks super cool. If the overdrive is the same as the TN panel I have to get it. I have been slowly looking at some LED light bulbs but haven't settled on anything yet. I was going to try a CRI 95 if I could find one depends on the price. I looked in a few stores and these manufacturers are not very honest with the CRI or if they are flicker free or not. Usually you have look on the packing and see that it says dimmable. I would love to try one of these new ones with violet chips but they need to drive the price down first. I still get my incandescent bulbs for 1.50 for 2. I love your site keep up the good work I believe you help so many people with all the information you have on here. Have a good weekend!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 02 Jul 2019, 09:20

Jason38 wrote:I wanted to wait about a month of testing before I posted this just to be sure. Chief I want to thank you for all your help and information really in my opinion you seem to have the most information when it comes to screens and LED's It's just crazy. I originally was going to try the View Sonic 2402 and if that didn't work I was going to buy a new computer and a 240HZ refresh rate monitor. I saw a user on your forum Notty posting about LG Ultragear 24GL600F-B and how amazing it was. So I bought that instead and in 11 - 12 years forget how long this has been going on this is the first monitor that doesn't cause me crazy pain. I get no pain as far as I can tell. I game on it all the time now. I believe because of the info your provided I am able to prove to myself that probably motion blur is probably my biggest problem. LED at 60HZ is really slow and it doesn't matter what panel type I buy it's instant pain. When I run this monitor at the max overdrive settings I have no issues. I have done 8 hour gaming sessions on it no issues now. I have also had my PS4 hooked up to it and my FPGA systems. It seems to run 60hz consoles incredibly and I have never seen anything like this with LED before. You had made mention in this giant thread of information you provided how CRT is easier on the eyes. I was at a garage sale and I picked up a Sony Wega CRT. The interesting thing was when these LED problems started happening all those years ago I couldn't use CRT TV's anymore. This Wega TV gives me no pain. I game on it like crazy now to. I have a N64 hooked up to it and tried my Sega Genesis no issues. I found out that Sony had some sort of patent on the way their TV's were designed and that it's different then every other model of tube TV. All link it here because someone on this site might find it interesting.
https://hackaday.com/2018/01/03/why-son ... -the-best/

This is also the first CRT in years that gives me no pain so it's just unbelievable. I told my wife that I really need to buy a better computer because you keep posting all these new monitors on your forum that look super cool and I don't have a good enough computer to run them. LG UltraGear 27GL850 Gaming Monitor this monitor you posted a couple weeks back the first IPS 1ms GtG Response looks super cool. If the overdrive is the same as the TN panel I have to get it. I have been slowly looking at some LED light bulbs but haven't settled on anything yet. I was going to try a CRI 95 if I could find one depends on the price. I looked in a few stores and these manufacturers are not very honest with the CRI or if they are flicker free or not. Usually you have look on the packing and see that it says dimmable. I would love to try one of these new ones with violet chips but they need to drive the price down first. I still get my incandescent bulbs for 1.50 for 2. I love your site keep up the good work I believe you help so many people with all the information you have on here. Have a good weekend!
Can i ask how do you see blur compared to your plasma TVs? Also, do you use it on text or internet browsing? Does it make your eyes tired? And do you run it a 144Hz or at 60Hz? (i mean on PC; on consoles you already stated it's at 60Hz). Have you used the strobing method it has?

Thanks anyway for the very interesting info (both the monitor and CRT-TV), and glad you found a nice monitor for your eyes ;) .

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 02 Jul 2019, 13:07

The truth is this monitor is so good I can't visibly tell the difference between this and my plasma in terms of motion blur. I played sonic 2 on it and couldn't believe how smooth it was. When I have it running on my computer the max I can get is 120hz because I don't have display port. It still causes me no strain in Windows 10. I need to upgrade my computer in the future to get the BFI and 144hz. It seems BFI is only supported on display port. It's kind of funny because it's getting to the point of me just gaming on this monitor and not my plasma TVs. I think I played games on it last night for six hours no strain. Considering it's a TN the side viewing isn't that bad either. I really want to get the IPS version of this monitor if it has the same overdrive abilities as this one.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 03 Jul 2019, 08:24

That sounds really good! Thank you for the answer, i'll have to try it :) .

;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2019, 12:06

Jason38 wrote:I wanted to wait about a month of testing before I posted this just to be sure. Chief I want to thank you for all your help and information really in my opinion you seem to have the most information when it comes to screens and LED's It's just crazy.
Jason38 wrote:I saw a user on your forum Notty posting about LG Ultragear 24GL600F-B and how amazing it was. So I bought that instead and in 11 - 12 years forget how long this has been going on this is the first monitor that doesn't cause me crazy pain. I get no pain as far as I can tell. I game on it all the time now. I believe because of the info your provided I am able to prove to myself that probably motion blur is probably my biggest problem.
Thank you for the compliment! Blur Busters for the win.

I am glad that I helped solve your LCD eyestrain problem for the large part!

Although eye train was not the raison d'etre of Blur Busters -- the name sake of Blur Busters get unexpected visitors about unusual causes of eyestrain, just because we're called "Blur Busters".

I believe more researchers need to also study the multiple eyestrain causes of displays, which are woefully imperfect representations of real world motion in so many ways (motion blur, light spectrum, color gamut, flicker, stroboscopics, artifacts, etc).

Hopefully your next monitor upgrade you get will not end up being a downgrade unexpectedly -- e.g. a 240Hz monitor that has stronger blue light than that 144Hz monitor -- or some other unexpected hidden downgrade. At least now you've got a comfortable gaming monitor you can use as your personal ergonomic reference gaming display from now on!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 27 Jul 2019, 06:09

Jason38 If you are still arround here and you don't mind if i ask you some things:
Did you change anything on the settings of the LG 24GL600F-B?
Have you checked other monitors to see if they still hurt you?

Also, if you get the IPS monitor, i'd love to hear your thoughts :) .

I got the LG 24GL600F too, but by now i am using it at 75Hz because the Displayport cable has been delayed a bit (and can only reach 75Hz by HDMI), and although sometimes "feels" like an old CRT i have, it's taking me some time to getting used to it (hope than at higher Hz i like it more).

By the way Chief Blur Buster if you read this i have found something that can lead to a new test, and with your knowledge i'd like to hear your opinion-explanation, so, can i PM it to you? (not posting here because found it on a "grey" website xD).

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 28 Jul 2019, 16:48

rasmas wrote:Jason38 If you are still arround here and you don't mind if i ask you some things:
Did you change anything on the settings of the LG 24GL600F-B?
Have you checked other monitors to see if they still hurt you?

Also, if you get the IPS monitor, i'd love to hear your thoughts :) .

I got the LG 24GL600F too, but by now i am using it at 75Hz because the Displayport cable has been delayed a bit (and can only reach 75Hz by HDMI), and although sometimes "feels" like an old CRT i have, it's taking me some time to getting used to it (hope than at higher Hz i like it more).

By the way Chief Blur Buster if you read this i have found something that can lead to a new test, and with your knowledge i'd like to hear your opinion-explanation, so, can i PM it to you? (not posting here because found it on a "grey" website xD).
I can use this monitor at 60 Hz with the overdrive set to max. I play consoles on it all the time. The max I can get over my computer through HDMI is 120hz. My settings are as follows
Brightness 0
Contrast 55
Black stabilizer 55
Response time - faster
Black level low

Have you tried turning over the windows night light just to turn down the brightness a bit well reading web pages? It's a strange problem I have but I guess I like dim screens especially when reading text. When I'm gaming I don't play with the windows night light I leave it off.