FreeSync Eliminating Overdrive Inverse Ghosting

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
Metal Phantom

FreeSync Eliminating Overdrive Inverse Ghosting

Post by Metal Phantom » 05 Jul 2019, 14:10

Hey there,
recently I was messing with some setting regarding Input Lag on my Samsung S24E370DL and I've accidentally discovered that when FreeSync was on there was absolutely no Inverse Ghosting with the exact same settings.

I've been playing games with FreeSync on since forever and with unlocked framerates, which isn't rly ideal in terms of input lag especially for FPS multiplayer games, but so wasn't my 4 ms 75 Hz PLS in general, so I never really cared that much, but I was still just curious to see how much Input lag I had and whether I could even notice it without any special equipment/tests.

I thought that the UT movement tutorial starting area would be sufficient enough.
I found that I could indeed sense some noticeable difference with FreeSync On/Off while running with unlocked fps.
What I also [accidentally] noticed while tinkering and switching setting around was that with FreeSync ON there was practically and virtually zero Overshoot/Inverse Ghosting @ any Overdrive level.

I was quite surprised when I discovered that, even more so after I've found other ppl complaining of the exact opposite situation when I tried searching for whether anyone else had a similar experience .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAQncTc7B8
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a ... _monitors/

What also seems significant imo, is the fact that FreeSync seems to eliminate the Overshoot even outside it's effective range.
Above 75 Hz/FPS in my case.

I wasn't sure what to make of this and since I couldn't find many ppl talking about this, I've decided to post this in case anyone finds it useful in any way. I'm planing to see whether capping the framerate with RTSS will reduce the input lag, which [theoretically] should be the case.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: FreeSync Eliminating Overdrive Inverse Ghosting

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2019, 22:41

It has been posted here but is still very little known, and not a widely-shared advice.

However, this can happen that overdrive tuning is superior when FreeSync is enabled (even if the overdrive is not dynamic/variable).

Monitors often use very different overdrive tuning settings when FreeSync is enabled, versus when FreeSync is disabled.

This is very monitor dependant -- some models have no visible differences (at max Hz / max frame rate) when FreeSync is enabled/disabled.

This can be a good workaround when the fixed-Hz overdrive tuning is not as good as it should be.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

fenderjaguar

Post by fenderjaguar » 12 Jul 2019, 13:30

So exactly what setting was this that you adjusted on the monitor?

My AG251FZ has insane inverse ghosting at frame rates lower than 80 fps, in freesync mode, unless the overdrive is turned down to medium, at which point there seems to be no inverse ghosting.

kebabasalt

Post by kebabasalt » 14 Jun 2020, 23:58

Hello falks. I found out the same behaviour on mine asus vg258qr.
If Trace free is on max 100 you get unusable screen vith lots of overshoots and inverse ghosting. But if I turn on Freesync in OSD everything disapears (All that crap overshoots and inverse ghostings )
And it apears working if I disable freesync in driver panel so basically I dont use freesync and I get less input latency at the same time vith clear screen vithout cons of max overdrive. Sorry for my bad English. Cheers !

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Jun 2020, 17:38

Overdrive tuning can be different in FreeSync mode versus non-FreeSync mode, so turning on FreeSync can improve overdrive -- at least for certain framerate ranges (especially desktop frame rates).

You may still have some overdrive issues with certain frame rates but some monitor models (Such as these models) can have better 120fps@120Hz overdrive with VRR=ON than VRR=OFF.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 18 Jun 2020, 11:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
17 Jun 2020, 17:38
Overdrive tuning can be different in FreeSync mode versus non-FreeSync mode, so turning on FreeSync can improve overdrive -- at least for certain framerate ranges (especially desktop frame rates).

You may still have some overdrive issues with certain frame rates but some monitor models (Such as these models) can have better 120fps@120Hz overdrive with VRR=ON than VRR=OFF.
I definitely noticed it on my XG2402, the overdrive had different behaviours at the same refresh rate with Freesync ON/OFF.

Freesync on my VG259QM has no impact at all on overdrive.

Can I ask you a question Chief? I noticed that you recommend NULL in your Gsync 101 guide, can the same concept be applied with Radeon Anti-Lag w/ Freesync?
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he