Turning off display overdrive on a laptop

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
pofono

Turning off display overdrive on a laptop

Post by pofono » 05 Jul 2019, 23:18

I have a razer blade 15 and the display has overdrive turned on by default and way too high. I can see pretty bad inverse trailing when scrolling. around a dark gray webpage with white text. At 144hz, the effect is bearable (still not good), but at 60hz, it is way too much and is very distracting.
Is there a way to turn this feature off on a laptop? I don't mind a bit if ghosting if it means I don't have to deal with the inverse tails.
Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Turning off display overdrive on a laptop

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jul 2019, 22:08

Razer Blade 15! Lovely gaming laptop.

Does laptop have FreeSync? Try turning that on/off. Different overdrive tuning is often done when this is turned on versus off.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pofono

Post by pofono » 08 Jul 2019, 22:43

I do not think the display have free sync. It has the BOE07AF panel.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Jul 2019, 23:55

If you want to risk screwing up display settings, one method is to download Entech Taiwan softmccs and try all undocumented DDC commands (including 0xE0 thru 0xFF) to see if there's an undocumented "Overdrive Gain" adjustment register. Remember to dump all existing values before you try modifying values, especially undocumented values. Disclaimers: No guarantees and you might modify registers that does something bad or brick your screen or void your warranty.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

pofono

Post by pofono » 10 Jul 2019, 23:54

It says DCC/CI "Not supported (missing DPtx services)"

pofono

Post by pofono » 17 Jul 2019, 23:19

Is there nothing I can do then?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2019, 08:35

Probably not. Unless it's the cable that doesn't allow DDC.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.