Awesome a forum! [+Intro of myself, and my LCD work]

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ikjadoon

Re: Awesome a forum! [+Intro of myself, and my LCD work]

Post by ikjadoon » 19 Dec 2013, 15:47

This was a super-cool story. :D

It's crazy to think that, in terms of latency, we've actually gone backwards. :( However, it feels really awesome to be a little cog pushing that giant industry a little forward. :)

shadman

Post by shadman » 20 Dec 2013, 06:07

Very heavy stuff, I liked the story!
You said the picture was vomit, and I had wrongfully assumed that was a hyperbole, but the picture was actual vomit. Should have read more literally

But I'm glad we have enthusiasts in the field working to get things done from the inside as well.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 22 Dec 2013, 19:40

It does take a while to get things done, but we've got some great people working together to get all these display technologies together. Right now, these new 4K Seiki displays are the disruptive force in the marketplace. It's just amazing what these displays can do for so much less money. Especially things like the 120Hz in regular 1080P mode. I just saw the latest 65" and it's shocking how amazing this display is.

4kp60 is still the domain of Display Port MST exclusively, but hopefully we will see HDMI 2.0 compatible graphics cards and the display costs for 4kp60 and modified boards for existing displays will make it easier for more people to do 4kp60 in the future for gaming.

Anyway, just know that as the guy who started the "HDTV Blur" Wiki Page way back when, I'm dedicating a huge amount of my time to making some amazing displays for playing video games available! Stay tuned!

ikjadoon

Post by ikjadoon » 25 Dec 2013, 02:40

Ahigh wrote: 4kp60 is still the domain of Display Port MST exclusively, but hopefully we will see HDMI 2.0 compatible graphics cards and the display costs for 4kp60 and modified boards for existing displays will make it easier for more people to do 4kp60 in the future for gaming.

Anyway, just know that as the guy who started the "HDTV Blur" Wiki Page way back when, I'm dedicating a huge amount of my time to making some amazing displays for playing video games available! Stay tuned!
I thought DisplayPort was cheaper than HDMI, due to royalties and what-not?

Haha, good to hear. :D I'm always up for progress in displays! :D

auxy

Post by auxy » 25 Dec 2013, 07:58

That vomit picture was totally gross! ( ̄ロ ̄lll)

Awesome story tho! キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━!!

Thanks for posting it! Those other pictures are really cool!

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 25 Dec 2013, 11:00

Thanks for the feedback, and if you think looking at the vomit sucks, you should have experienced the hour-and-a-half leading up to that moment. I kept trying to pinpoint what happened. I ate in that time too, so I thought maybe I ate something bad. But it wasn't.

I know there are other people who have this reaction even though it's not extremely common. So sharing my vomit is important. It's important for folks responsible for designing and delivering these displays who think this isn't important to realize that their laziness not to implement backlight strobing is responsible for making people physically ill.

From my view, ALL LED LIT LCD SCREENS should offer backlight strobing as an option. And any that don't are just broken for video games! That's my extreme view. So there you have it!

I am excited though to see even one on the market.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 25 Dec 2013, 11:07

Ahigh wrote:Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:38 PM
Software development always precedes hardware availability. The thing that is critical is that presentation in the future is indeed a reality. The fact that things are not affordable and/or available at the moment is just a temporary condition. I've been doing professional video game development now for over 25 years, and it's always the case that you do development with what is generally crippled systems compared to the final delivery mechanism. But I am truly excited about the final end product on a display that can actually reproduce pinball gameplay far more faithfully than anything that is currently available.

We had this for a short while with UltraPin before the LCD was put into the development cabinet. So I know first hand how awesome it can be. But not many people were able to play the game this way to understand this. The OLED and other new display technologies are going to marry the best of LCD and CRT technologies and go the step further with higher image quality to boot.
After Mark took over "HDTV Blur" and decided to do the first backlight strobe, I did announce that I was coming back. I didn't think it would take a year before I was doing anything significant, but I had a really good high paying job I had to finish up with here in Las Vegas that had nothing to do with creating gameplay dependent on backlight strobing.

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showt ... ntry160199

But yeah, "I'm back" -- officially now. Thanks to work by folks like Mark and others with the display manufacturers. I wouldn't have been surprised if it took another five to ten years for anybody else to care about this issue, though. I want to thank everyone for their interest, though, because I would ABSOLUTELY NOT WORK ON VIDEO PINBALL AGAIN without the right display to support the gameplay.

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 28 Dec 2013, 00:50

God's speed, brother Ahigh! It's been years since I've been able to play games, and I miss it, but the people I really feel for are all the kids out there who don't even know what it's like to play a game without lag and blurriness.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 28 Dec 2013, 01:06

Bad news, is yeah, the 120hz still doesn't work on the 39" Seiki.

Good news is that the cat is entertained with Mark's app.

phpBB [video]

auxy

Post by auxy » 28 Dec 2013, 20:29

Ahaha! (^o^) That kitty!