Alienware 240hz GSYNC HELP

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ARozay

Alienware 240hz GSYNC HELP

Post by ARozay » 19 Jul 2019, 07:55

Whats up guys, seems like this is the go to forum for the monitor gurus. I am a competitive game and for context monitor is connected from display port to 2080ti fe. Here is my issue, want to make sure its not my ocd or im not being crazy. The monitor is just not crystal crystal clear or crisp. It looks great watching videos and gaming, but browsing or on windows somethings are fringy like text, for example spotify the play button looks all fringy and pix-elated, have not changed any setings besides enabling g sync and putting 240hz on and some basic settings in my nvidia control panel. I also used an icc color profile calibration profile. Any help is greatly appreciated if someone can fix this or just help me out I will donate to them or what ever I need to do. Very frustating spending 400 dollars on a monitor and just doesn't feel as crisp as I want when not in game. I plugged in my gpu and pc into a 4k t.v and looks amazing so not the pc as it was just built and runs great. I am hoping this is just me being ocd and maybe there is a monitor settings or something, I played with cleartype text, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, I am still in the return policy but no point of returning for another 240hz unless there is a clear cut winner for a more crisp picture. They all use the same panels in most models. Might just get a 1440 g sync 165 hz monitor and see if I like that better but all my tournaments are on 240hz

TTT

Re: Alienware 240hz GSYNC HELP

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 08:57

Its just the monitor, I have the the Predator XB252Q which is the same but the Acer version and I guess the same panel. The picture is pretty soft and there are no sharpness adjustments you can make on it. I end up completely turning off AA in games and putting up with the rough edges and flickering so I can actually see properly otherwise I find it was too soft and blurry.

Make sure your NVP is set to full, but the default with DP cable in will be that anyway, otherwise theres not much else you can do.

Also if you do go for a 1440p Gsync, don't get the Predator 24" version. The whole screen is like a strange matte finish and you can literally see every single pixel on the screen, I returned that before I bought my current one.

ARozay

Post by ARozay » 19 Jul 2019, 09:36

Thank you so much, I have to figure you out if it’s going to be okay to competitive game on 1440, thanks so much for the reply. I figured it was just me being picky. It’s nothing serious but something’s could be sharper. Any recommendations for high end competitive gaming on fortnite with 1440p g sync

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 09:57

ARozay wrote:Thank you so much, I have to figure you out if it’s going to be okay to competitive game on 1440, thanks so much for the reply. I figured it was just me being picky. It’s nothing serious but something’s could be sharper. Any recommendations for high end competitive gaming on fortnite with 1440p g sync
You are still going to get high framerates on fortnite with 1440p with your set up, the Rog and Predator Gsync 1440p 27" panels overclock from 144hz up to 165hz as well, you can still get TN panel version for better pixel response or IPS with a bit higher but better picture quality.

I can't advise a screen but the Predator and Rog ones are both pretty much the same, I would definitely go 27" at 1440p though.

ARozay

Post by ARozay » 19 Jul 2019, 10:03

What monitor what you recommended for competitive play. Really want a sharper picture I also have a vg248 and its super fringy and pixealted and its only a year and half old. I know its so old and not a great panel, what monitor do you recommend for competitive play not to repeat myself so I get the high frames on fortnite. Thanks again, happy I figured this out

TTT

Post by TTT » 19 Jul 2019, 10:10

ARozay wrote:What monitor what you recommended for competitive play. Really want a sharper picture I also have a vg248 and its super fringy and pixealted and its only a year and half old. I know its so old and not a great panel, what monitor do you recommend for competitive play not to repeat myself so I get the high frames on fortnite. Thanks again, happy I figured this out
Well 1440p is more pixels so it will be sharper, on 24" its super sharp but you have to run windows scale at none native (Over 100%) to stop everything being tiny, but then its still not crisp because its enlarged and a bit blurry.

You have to have it one way or the other though, 240hz screens are not brilliant picture quality, they are made for speed. 1440P is going to take more resources to run so less frames but more pixels = sharper picture.

The new 240hz panel screens are just releasing now with the 0.5 pixel response time, I'm not sure how else they differ from the first gen ones. Have a look here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5484

Also if you want the best of both, Lenovo are releasing the first 1440P 240HZ, if you have the cash and you can wait a bit that is probably your best bet. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4826

crossjeremiah

Post by crossjeremiah » 22 Jul 2019, 19:16

It could be your overdrive. Don't put it on the highest mode Super Fast it causes a lot of ghosting and artifacts you don't want. You want to keep your contrast below 50ish % any higher than that also causes ghosting, bluring, artifacts you don't want on your monitor.

You can QFT the monitor , make the scan rate faster than the refresh rate ie (144hz with 240hz scanout rate) I use (60hz with 144hz ULMB freq) .
I don't play too many games with fluctuating frame rates so gsync is useless too me. But you can take advantage of QFT that gsync is able to provide.

TTT

Post by TTT » 23 Jul 2019, 18:05

crossjeremiah wrote:It could be your overdrive. Don't put it on the highest mode Super Fast it causes a lot of ghosting and artifacts you don't want. You want to keep your contrast below 50ish % any higher than that also causes ghosting, bluring, artifacts you don't want on your monitor.

You can QFT the monitor , make the scan rate faster than the refresh rate ie (144hz with 240hz scanout rate) I use (60hz with 144hz ULMB freq) .
I don't play too many games with fluctuating frame rates so gsync is useless too me. But you can take advantage of QFT that gsync is able to provide.
Even if you use a locked framerate Gsync is still going to sync the GPU to the monitor though, if you don't want it you will save alot getting a monitor without it I guess.