display turning black, computer freezes too

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
nutbuster

display turning black, computer freezes too

Post by nutbuster » 10 Jul 2019, 11:37

So I got this very weird issue. There aren't many topics about it on the internet but some scrubs suggested PSU, one guy on the nvidia forum said it's because of alt+tabbing out of a fullscreen game.
My monitor can go dark when I let the computer turn off the display (it was set to 10 minutes), but I usually turn off the monitor by hand. Only yesterday had I ever had it happen twice mid-game in counter-strike (I had a youtube video running in the bg and the audio got all Matrix distorted (when Neo got that silvery mirror thing on him and it went into his throat)). It seems to be happening way more often too and even when I'm in front of the computer. This doesn't seem to be a monitor issue per se because I can't shutdown the computer via the .lnk shortcut and its keyboard shortcut either. So it definitely freezes.
The eventvwr notifications are down below.
It happened with my 780 ti (*) and it's happening with the rx 580
I bought the rx 580 because I thought the 780 ti was broken. I was running the 780 ti on HDMI for a while but I can't recall if the issue happened because I wasn't gaming at all due to 60hz eye cancer.

Questions
I guess it's a silly question but could setting Strobe in any way damage the monitor? I didn't overclock anything. I have it off atm via the service menu and I will connect the DP cable in a day or two with it turned on.
Why does the model BNQ7F33 come up? I would have skipped this forum, simply bc I wouldn't have thought of it, but I found this via google viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4539
What would you guys tip it is? PSU, SSD?
Could the Displayport be broken? DP Cable oO ? (but with these messages?)
devmgmt.msc had Generic PnP Monitor as driver even though I could have sworn I installed xl2411p drivers. Currently it says ZOWIE XL LCD (HDMI)

My monitor is a xl2411p

Code: Select all

CPU:           AMD FX-6300 (Piledriver/Vishera, OR-C0 (Orochi))
               3500 MHz (17.50x200.0) @ 3000 MHz (15.00x200.0)
Motherboard:   MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693)
BIOS:          V10.6, 01/08/2016
Chipset:       AMD 970 (RX980) + SB920/SB950
Memory:        16384 MBytes @ 800 MHz, 11-11-11-28
               - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905471-030.A00LF
               - 8192 MB PC12800 DDR3 SDRAM - Kingston 9905471-030.A00LF
Graphics:      ASUS DUAL RX 580 OC 4GB
               AMD Radeon RX 580, 4096 MB GDDR5 SDRAM
Drive:         Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB, 244.2 GB, Serial ATA 6Gb/s @ 6Gb/s
Drive:         SAMSUNG HD204UI, 1953.5 GB, Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Sound:         ATI/AMD SB800/Hudson-1 - High Definition Audio Controller
Sound:         ATI/AMD Bermuda/Ellesmere - High Definition Audio Controller
Network:       RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

The error messages are as follows:

Information	2019-07-08 21:38:32	Service Control Manager	7036	None 	The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state.
Information	2019-07-08 21:42:23	Service Control Manager	7036	None 	The Application Experience service entered the running state.
Information	2019-07-08 21:52:23	Service Control Manager	7036	None	The Application Experience service entered the stopped state.
Information	2019-07-08 21:55:32	Display			4107	None	A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API
Information	2019-07-08 21:55:32	Service Control Manager	7036	None	The Diagnostic System Host service entered the running state.
Information	2019-07-08 21:56:00	Display			4107	None	A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API
Warning		2019-07-08 21:56:01	Kernel-PnP		219	(212)	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Warning		2019-07-08 21:56:01	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Information	2019-07-08 21:56:02	Display			4107	None 	A caller specified the SDC_FORCE_MODE_ENUMERATION flag in a call to the SetDisplayConfig() API
Warning		2019-07-08 21:56:04	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Warning		2019-07-08 21:56:05	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Warning		2019-07-08 21:57:18	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Warning		2019-07-08 21:57:24	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Warning		2019-07-08 21:57:24	Kernel-PnP		219	(212) 	The driver \Driver\monitor failed to load for the device DISPLAY\BNQ7F33\5&6ba4849&0&UID512.
Information	2019-07-08 22:07:02	Service Control Manager	7036	None 	The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state.
Information	2019-07-08 22:19:17	Service Control Manager	7036	None 	The Diagnostic System Host service entered the stopped state.
Information	2019-07-09 06:22:04	Kernel-General		12	None 	The operating system started at system time 2019-07-09T04:22:03.860398900Z.
kind of annoying phpBB doesn't use horizontal scrolling for its code box.

here's a pastebin for slightly better readability if wrap lines (firefox) are turned off https://pastebin.com/raw/KQJNhX2Z

--------------------------------

(*) 780 ti error messages. I think all these messages happened while I was on displayport.
All error messages have the same timestamp

--------------------------------------------
Error	2019-07-03 20:55:54	nvlddmkm	14	None
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

\Device\Video7
0c71(1750) 84015a93 a5a5a5ad
Warning	2019-07-03 20:56:08	Display	4101	None
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Error	2019-07-03 20:56:15	nvlddmkm	14	None
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

\Device\Video7
3d6c(25b0) 00000000 00000000
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

\Device\Video7
Graphics Exception: ILLEGAL_OPCODE
The description for Event ID 13 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

\Device\Video7
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000004

\Device\Video7
Graphics Exception:  MISSING_MACRO_DATA

\Device\Video7
Graphics Exception: ESR 0x404490=0x80000001

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7

\Device\Video7
0c71(1750) 00000000 00000000

posting this and going afk in hope the computer doesn't freeze again. -.-

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: display turning black, computer freezes too

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jul 2019, 18:48

The Alt+Tabs and PSU can be contributing factors.

Try a slight underclock of your CPU and GPU too.

If you think the cable is contributing, try a better DisplayPort cable and keep it away from electromagnetic interference (EMI) sources (e.g. transformers, wifi routers, and high-current cables, including those embedded in some walls). Different port on monitor too. Different port on card too. I know hotplugging DisplayPort can cause Windows to crash sometimes.

Also BNQ7F33 is the ID number of the port on your specific model of monitor. Strobe Utility would have no bearing on this, unless you have the old-firmware backlight overvoltaging bug (XL2720 V2). But all models with DisplayPort, AFAIK, does not have this issue. So it would be non applicable in your case. In all situations, I've seen exactly the same thing happen without Utility.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

nutbuster

Post by nutbuster » 11 Jul 2019, 03:24

Overnight the displayport cable was in with single strobe enabled and the computer hasn't frozen. I opened csgo and the computer pulled 150w from the wall and it froze on me with that awful sound.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:If you think the cable is contributing, try a better DisplayPort cable and keep it away from electromagnetic interference (EMI) sources (e.g. transformers, wifi routers, and high-current cables, including those embedded in some walls). Different port on monitor too. Different port on card too. I know hotplugging DisplayPort can cause Windows to crash sometimes.
I don't think that's the case here but could such scenario really freeze a computer? oO Like I said it's not that just the screen goes dark the computer seems unresponsive. I can't reboot via shortcuts.

I will try a downclock. I might upgrade soon anyway but it's still very annoying since I don't really know what part it is. I guess at this point I would say it's either mobo or PSU.
I don't think it's technically possible for a monitor to freeze a computer.. ?

Thanks for reading my post and the time. YOu don't seem to have a donate button

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Jul 2019, 14:32

nutbuster wrote:I don't think it's technically possible for a monitor to freeze a computer.. ?
Very rare, but it has happened -- e.g. DisplayPort hotplug bug. (The art of disconnecting/reconnecting a DisplayPort cable causes a lot of initialization events to happen.). A malfunctioning/loose cable can produce a stream of hotplug events that your driver automatically executes, or cause a BSOD because of a driver bug.

There is some software that automatically executes inside the driver, everytime a video cable is plugged in, and unplugged. DisplayPort is a very complex protocol (much more so than VGA and DVI) which is prone to software bugs. Although early DisplayPort has nothing to do with Thunderbolt, there is overlap between DisplayPort and the Thunderbolt protocols in the newest implementations too. It's literally just almost TCP/IP for video (micropacketization) and other data can be embedded between, such as for PCI Express data or audio or other data on the same DisplayPort "stream", and so such a complex protocol is prone to driver bugs that can crash a computer....

Ideally it should just behave like a cable. But is a complex digital pipe nowadays.

Nontheless...

It probably does not affect your situation. But it's worth mentioning.

Try the underclock.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!