RTINGS test 240Hz HP Omen X 25f - Lowest input lag yet

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: RTINGS test 240Hz HP Omen X 25f - Lowest input lag yet

Post by Notty_PT » 05 Aug 2019, 17:32

masneb wrote:Seems like a lot of people on here just buy based on your recommendation, even though you don't actually have the monitor yet.

I've looked over the RTings website and they don't list the panel. The HP website lists this as a 1ms monitor, so I assume it's not using the new AUO panel. It's very difficult to compare reviews between TFT and Rtings till they have some overlap, so there is no way of knowing how this matches up against something like the XF252Q. Subjective experiences here are positive, but people buy something new > always better then what they had. Bias in general.
No one buys based on me, they buy based on the best reviewers eebsite. Actually if you notice it wasnt even me who started tge thread. Plus the monitor is cheap.

As for TfT central, as mentioned several times, their tests are outdated and misleading (IPS 27 165hz panels faster than fast TNs lel) on both response time and input lag so I dont care about that website for ages. Its owner also doesnt admit a single critic and says their input lag tests by SMTT are as good as rtings ones )lel again).

masneb

Post by masneb » 05 Aug 2019, 22:47

Care to elaborate? They test color to color transition times (I assume that's what the 0-255 range is in the response times window), where as Rtings only tests Black to White.

Example for the fast IPS panel? There are some very fast IPS panels with overdrive, however they have issues with overshoot depending on the color range and are by no means perfect (generally worse then TN when the overdrive is all messed up).

As long as the methodology is sound, it doesn't really matter how off the input lag test is as long as it's repeatable and comparable between other monitors. So if it's off lets say by 1ms, it will be off by 1ms for other monitors they test (assuming a static variable such as adding overhead).

I don't really hold a bias for either site, however Rtings as mentioned only has two 240hz monitors and they only test black to white for response times. I believe response times are becoming more and more important with faster refresh rates, so I definitely think that's a pretty big deal.

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 06 Aug 2019, 08:04

@Notty_PT
Plus the monitor is cheap.

Depends, price at the moment in Europe around €380-€420 is not what I call cheap ;)
Keep in mind this monitor has no black frame insertion, black Stabilizer, built-in speakers, swivel or rotate function if you
need those kind of things.

@masneb
The HP website lists this as a 1ms monitor, so I assume it's not using the new AUO panel.

True, you got a good point there, why should HP not listing the 0.5ms G2G in the specs? so for now we can only assume.

Also there's still the panel lottery issue, my unit was suffering from "vertical lines inversion artefact" very thin vertical lines
in the background that blurred the image when moving, I could see it clearly but I must say my eyes are very sensitive although others could see it also, scrolling at a webpage with text was also a bit blurry.

For now the old 120hz Hanns.G "masterpiece" ;) is back in use, think I'm gonna wait a bit longer for other brands releasing their version with the new 240hz panel and for more reviews before I buy another 240hz model, after some time the availability will also be better here in Europe.

Tried the 144hz LG 24gl600 before and for the money you get a fast low input lag monitor that produce a nice image, send it back due the lack of height adjustment but now there's also a version with height adjustment so maybe I'll buy that one to overcome the time waiting.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

do0om

Post by do0om » 06 Aug 2019, 10:09

The HP website lists this as a 1ms monitor, so I assume it's not using the new AUO panel.
True, you got a good point there, why should HP not listing the 0.5ms G2G in the specs? so for now we can only assume.
They list it as 3ms without overdrive which is a characteristic of the new AUO Panel. Correct me if I'm wrong
"The response time of the currently available 1080p panels, and this new 1440p panel is being pushed as well, down from a typical 5ms spec to 3ms."
source : https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/au-op ... ober-2018/

masneb

Post by masneb » 06 Aug 2019, 13:07

Yeah, I think assumptions were made about the .5ms panel as pretty much all high end new gaming monitors coming out right now are using the new AUO panel. Weirdly enough the Rtings article really doesn't list manufacturer specs or info about the panel at all.

It's actually kinda sad the XF252Q looks like a $100 dell monitor, I probably would've bought it already. If anyone has tested the new Omen X 25f and can compare it against the two, I think these are the two biggest contenders right now.

The XF252Q is in a lot of different places in Europe Max_Hz might be able to buy it locally and compare. It's also cheaper then the Omen. Freesync has really made gaming monitors very accessible.

ROCKZ

Post by ROCKZ » 06 Aug 2019, 13:32

masneb wrote:It's actually kinda sad the XF252Q looks like a $100 dell monitor, I probably would've bought it already.
In my opinion, those kinda monitors look way better than your typical GAMING, Red/Black colorway with a huge ass stand and RGB ones.

It's like a really well-made suit vs a clown outfit. But then again people are different.

Retrospective

Post by Retrospective » 06 Aug 2019, 17:52

Max_hz wrote:Tried the 144hz LG 24gl600 before and for the money you get a fast low input lag monitor that produce a nice image, send it back due the lack of height adjustment but now there's also a version with height adjustment so maybe I'll buy that one to overcome the time waiting.
Could you tell me the name of this model? There are two: 24GL600F-B and just 24GL600F, but it looks like they are the same -- that huge inflexible stand is the only reason why I avoid this monitor.

whitepuzzle

Post by whitepuzzle » 06 Aug 2019, 20:37

Wish one of the new M250HTN01.9 monitors would become available in Australia already. The Omen X 25 is up on HP's site but with no international shipping.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Aug 2019, 00:13

Max_hz wrote:@Notty_PT
Plus the monitor is cheap.

Depends, price at the moment in Europe around €380-€420 is not what I call cheap ;)
Keep in mind this monitor has no black frame insertion, black Stabilizer, built-in speakers, swivel or rotate function if you
need those kind of things.

@masneb

Also there's still the panel lottery issue, my unit was suffering from "vertical lines inversion artefact" very thin vertical lines
in the background that blurred the image when moving, I could see it clearly but I must say my eyes are very sensitive although others could see it also, scrolling at a webpage with text was also a bit blurry.

For now the old 120hz Hanns.G "masterpiece" ;) is back in use, think I'm gonna wait a bit longer for other brands releasing their version with the new 240hz panel and for more reviews before I buy another 240hz model, after some time the availability will also be better here in Europe.

Tried the 144hz LG 24gl600 before and for the money you get a fast low input lag monitor that produce a nice image, send it back due the lack of height adjustment but now there's also a version with height adjustment so maybe I'll buy that one to overcome the time waiting.
320€ here. Every other model is 450€++

I dont care about strobing, whats the point of buying an ultra low input lag monitor just to increase it? The stand allows height adjustement so it's fine to me. Coulours etc Useless to mr. What I look for on a 240hz monitor is:

- lowest possible input lag
- lowest possible response time

This model has both, all the rest to me is irrelevant. I want to frag.

Max_hz

Post by Max_hz » 07 Aug 2019, 01:48

Retrospective wrote:
Max_hz wrote:Tried the 144hz LG 24gl600 before and for the money you get a fast low input lag monitor that produce a nice image, send it back due the lack of height adjustment but now there's also a version with height adjustment so maybe I'll buy that one to overcome the time waiting.
Could you tell me the name of this model? There are two: 24GL600F-B and just 24GL600F, but it looks like they are the same -- that huge inflexible stand is the only reason why I avoid this monitor.
24GL650-B if available on your location not sure about that, difference between 24GL600: height adjustment and incl. dp cable
https://www.lg.com/nl/monitoren/lg-24GL650-B
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz