Apex Legends Input Lag/Stutters/FSO Issues

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
TTT

Apex Legends Input Lag/Stutters/FSO Issues

Post by TTT » 05 Aug 2019, 15:27

Every since I started playing AL on PC I've had this constant intermittent horrible input lag and frametime spikes, also browsing online alot of other people seem to suffer similar problems with no way of fixing it.

Assuming some of you play it or have played it does anybody here get any of these issues?

What I've noticed and what I think might be the issue is for some reason Full Screen Optimisation is forced on by the game, even if you tick the .exe box it doesn't turn it off. I turn it off in other games I do notice a decrease in input lag, but I've never seen a game force it on and doesn't let you override it?!

Also I've noticed that when you put Gsync on windowed mode, it doesn't activate in this game, it only activates on full screen mode.

I have been playing with all syncs off locked to 60fps at 240hz on NCP to try and figure it out but nothing seems to work, it just intermittently comes and goes.

I've also tested the same settings on BO4 online and it runs consistenly fine, also with insanely low input lag and feels super snappy.

I also noticed on NCP when you go on settings specifically for AP NCP sets the Max Pre-Rendered frames to 1 automatically, when usually it just copies the global setting in every other game I've played.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded (If you get this far) But this issue has been driving me crazy. :evil:

boon

Re: Apex Legends Input Lag/Stutters/FSO Issues

Post by boon » 06 Aug 2019, 06:05

A lot of stuttering occurs when windows fills up your ram with useless standby memory that doesn't get deleted like it's supposed to.

Hit ctrl+shift+escape (for task manager), go to the performance tab, click resource monitor, go to the memory tab. You can see the standby memory currently allocated. I noticed that when I alt tabbed from apex sometimes, it completely filled all available memory with standby, possibly from a memory leak. ISLC.exe clears it automatically when it gets full and saves you the stutter from ram issues.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/int ... 0-released

Now, you shouldn't just download any software someone gives you on the internet, but google and search for "intelligent standby list cleaner" and "stutter". Reddit has many discussions on the topic. There are many posts on the black ops 4 subreddit as well. It has helped me quite a lot with game stutters on windows 7.

I used an "unintelligent" standby list cleaner as a scheduled task for a long while, but this one is far better.

PS. I also use parkcontrol and timertool which are also helpful.

PSS. Sometimes I get a crash when booting apex while running these programs. If you get a crash/bsod, just run apex first and it should fix it.

TTT

Post by TTT » 07 Aug 2019, 08:46

boon wrote:A lot of stuttering occurs when windows fills up your ram with useless standby memory that doesn't get deleted like it's supposed to.

Hit ctrl+shift+escape (for task manager), go to the performance tab, click resource monitor, go to the memory tab. You can see the standby memory currently allocated. I noticed that when I alt tabbed from apex sometimes, it completely filled all available memory with standby, possibly from a memory leak. ISLC.exe clears it automatically when it gets full and saves you the stutter from ram issues.

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/int ... 0-released

Now, you shouldn't just download any software someone gives you on the internet, but google and search for "intelligent standby list cleaner" and "stutter". Reddit has many discussions on the topic. There are many posts on the black ops 4 subreddit as well. It has helped me quite a lot with game stutters on windows 7.

I used an "unintelligent" standby list cleaner as a scheduled task for a long while, but this one is far better.

PS. I also use parkcontrol and timertool which are also helpful.

PSS. Sometimes I get a crash when booting apex while running these programs. If you get a crash/bsod, just run apex first and it should fix it.
Thanks I'll check it out.

As for the disabling full screen optimisation, does that also not work for you?

boon

Post by boon » 07 Aug 2019, 15:04

TTT wrote:

There are a lot of other little tweaks that I've used for other games to varying success.

-The disabling of full screen optimizations/dpi scaling in properties.
-Disabling shader cache in nvidia control panel.
-Rivatuner statistics server to cap frame rates.
-Turning game settings down to lowest settings.
-Turning mouse polling down from 1000hz to 500 or 250. If your cpu is really being hammered and can't keep up with realtime processing, this can help.

TTT

Post by TTT » 09 Aug 2019, 08:20

boon wrote:
TTT wrote:

There are a lot of other little tweaks that I've used for other games to varying success.

-The disabling of full screen optimizations/dpi scaling in properties.
-Disabling shader cache in nvidia control panel.
-Rivatuner statistics server to cap frame rates.
-Turning game settings down to lowest settings.
-Turning mouse polling down from 1000hz to 500 or 250. If your cpu is really being hammered and can't keep up with realtime processing, this can help.

When you tick the disable full screen optimisation in the .exe does it actually disable it though? My game forces it on and ticking the box doesn't make it stop.

Shrib

Post by Shrib » 13 Aug 2019, 05:35

It feels like the game rejects my input sometimes but after fiddling with Win 10 it seems good now (it's pretty bad on my Win 8.1 build though). I'd recommending ensuring you're on the latest Windows 10 1903 build (released on 26th July, it fixes some dpc latency issues on Win 10), that game mode is on. Pre-rendered frames 1. Maybe try lowering your resolution since it certainly helps frames and framerate consistency. High performance power plan.

Also go to Security Centre, disable all the exploit protections for r5apex.exe (Control Flow guard etc)/systemwide if you like to live dangerously. That seemed to improve my fps a lot and tbh it's pretty good now.

In regards to fullscreen optimizations I'm fairly certain with the latest build it's forced on even if you tweak through registry but I'm not 100%. Possibly removing the r5apex executable in regedit will remove the FSE detection, however, when I tried there was no r5apex executable. It does feel like FSE is permanently on now.

nick4567

Post by nick4567 » 13 Aug 2019, 16:35

the problem you have is internet related and there is no fix u might have fiddeled with some windows settings which made it ok but it will come back do you experience hit reg issues when the lag happens spray feels off and the player movement seems off? the fix is to move to an area without this issue btw switching isps wont work either viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3536 look at this thread it will explain it better

disq

Post by disq » 15 Aug 2019, 10:50

What makes you say that when you tick "disable fullscreen optimizations" it doesn't work as intended?

goa604

Post by goa604 » 15 Aug 2019, 17:06

I come from old school arena FPS world of shooters and i definitely feel huge input lag in Apex. It literally makes me unabled to transfer my skill into Apex. I found this post on reddit.
Yeah, I can 100% confirm this. For me there's over 5ms more input latency compared to CS:GO, which I always use as my baseline.

With my setup (1000Hz mouse polling, 240Hz monitor) CS:GO has a total input lag of 7.9ms while running around 400fps (between mouse movement and first change on screen), which is also close to what I get in other fps games. Testing Apex Legends shows an input lag of 13.5ms, while also running at around 400fps (Google how to unlock it). That difference is easily felt if you're a decent player with good reflexes.

Before someone tells me, yes I did try tricks like +m_rawinput 1 or disabling full screen optimizations, all the Nvidia control panel stuff or disabling Origin overlay.

Now here's my testing method if you're interested:

I take slow motion video in a way that both my mouse and my screen are in the frame. Then I would bump the mouse with another object from the side (the reason for this is that it makes it easy to tell the exact frame when it started moving) then count the frames between the mouse moving and the screen changing. I only have 240fps slow motion, which is about 4ms per frame, but this is why I always average at least 10-15 mouse bumps to get a more accurate result. My testing is really consistent, I can always go back and reproduce the same numbers well within a millisecond. A 5ms+ difference like this one is way outside of my margin of error.
whole conversation is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/co ... put_delay/

knypol

Post by knypol » 15 Aug 2019, 17:12

Wanted to join this thread to ask u 240Hz owners...have U noticed that beyond 144 fps this game getting more blurried than at 144fps? I have PG258q and had to limit fps to 144fps because i couldnt stand the mess beyond it (dont know how to describe it but i see something like double images - blending one into another). Tested on BF 5 and there is no such blurryness between 144-200+