XF252Q Up on Amazon!

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ROCKZ

Re: XF252Q Up on Amazon!

Post by ROCKZ » 06 Aug 2019, 10:55

For people who are still confused about QX and Q models, here's the TFTcentral's response on it Image

open

Post by open » 06 Aug 2019, 20:22

TFT did measure overshoot. The ave is higher and the peak is higher.

Range and ave together give a good enough idea about how the monitor will feel in terms of responsiveness.

I think the point is that if you have ever used a really good display in terms of persistence and response, then you understand that even todays 240hz are a big letdown. And the best thing you can say about this new monitor is that the peak transition is 35% lower than the pg258q. Other comparisons are less generous. It's a slight upgrade not a big step toward that great expereince something the right crt dlp or oled would produce at these refresh rates. And it doesn't come close to the 0.3ms transitions or the improvement that that spec implies.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Aug 2019, 00:16

As usual I wouldnt take reviews from that website serious. PG258Q with those good values... Such a joke. Try one and you will be confused. Just like they made IPS 165hz panels faster than some really fast 144hz TNs, lol

masneb

Post by masneb » 07 Aug 2019, 00:57

Yeah, the PG258Q has a lot to be desired, however learning to extrapolate data is part of what's going on here. The PG258Q has lots of variance, that's part of the problem and why I'm pointing out that a lot of monitors have high variance, even if their average time is lower, isn't a good thing. Don't just look at the average, look at the distribution and the variance (which they don't calculate and put on the website).

The Rtings reviews only have black to white times for response time. The TFT central reviews show color to color response times, found in their display graphs. It isn't only about the range, it's about the distribution. A range is min and max, there is more then three data points for response times, ideally there would be tens of thousands of measurements from different color to colors, but since that isn't feasible at least in the way current websites are testing, we have to go with what we have. Rtings doesn't test anything more then black to white, so while maybe they'll get one or two monitors right, it doesn't tell the whole story.

I'm not saying TFT is flawless by any means, however they actually test color to color transitions.

Open: Overshoot is error. Average, min, and max are transition times. They're two different categories showing two different things. It's possible to have low response times without any error. Error makes those data points much, much less valuable for the sake of seeing a clear picture. Overshoot/undershoot (error) introduces artifacting which muddles the picture.

Response times has less to do with 'responsiveness' and much more to do with clarity. Input delay/lag is what you're looking for for responsiveness. You're confusing terminology.

forcedreg

Post by forcedreg » 07 Aug 2019, 03:07

ROCKZ wrote:For people who are still confused about QX and Q models, here's the TFTcentral's response on it https://i.imgur.com/FMXC0qp.png
I'm still confused about this, a lot of websites list the QX and state 1ms response which would imply that it's the older panel model. I wonder if there's a way to check that. Don't want to order this just to get the older version so I won't buy one for now. Way to go acer marketing team. :roll:

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 07 Aug 2019, 05:04

Rtings shows pictures of their own "ufo" test plus graphs with very detailed info, are you kidding me? Are you by any chance a tft central smurf account? Lol I have like 5
or 6 websites before I ever consider a tft central review.

Btw rtings graphs. Anyway I'm done debating this. I trust rtings 100% because I had as many monitors as they did (maybe more even) and their analysis always went accordingly to what I seen, plus their methodologies are all explained and use very advanced tools. But Im done debating this.

masneb

Post by masneb » 07 Aug 2019, 16:05

Notty_PT wrote:Rtings shows pictures of their own "ufo" test plus graphs with very detailed info, are you kidding me? Are you by any chance a tft central smurf account? Lol I have like 5
or 6 websites before I ever consider a tft central review.

Btw rtings graphs. Anyway I'm done debating this. I trust rtings 100% because I had as many monitors as they did (maybe more even) and their analysis always went accordingly to what I seen, plus their methodologies are all explained and use very advanced tools. But Im done debating this.
Yup I saw those. That's 20-80% of their particular logo. It's not even black to white or a color range. It doesn't go from one color range to another (blue to red for instance). So it's partial transition times and not of a color. They have a video on the website which I watched already, showing their methodology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AHDZqMuvgM

What other websites go in nearly as much detail as Rtings or TFT? Part of where this all stems from is the lack of comparable websites that go into depth.

I'm not sure I exactly understand the disconnect. As mentioned by many people, Blur Chief included, response times vary by color to color and even back again. So red>blue isn't going to be the same speed as blue>red. That's why it's important to test more then gtg or black to white. Rtings only tests their logo moving across the speed and that's not even a particular color or range AFAIK.

ROCKZ

Post by ROCKZ » 07 Aug 2019, 18:13

forcedreg wrote:
ROCKZ wrote:For people who are still confused about QX and Q models, here's the TFTcentral's response on it https://i.imgur.com/FMXC0qp.png
I'm still confused about this, a lot of websites list the QX and state 1ms response which would imply that it's the older panel model. I wonder if there's a way to check that. Don't want to order this just to get the older version so I won't buy one for now. Way to go acer marketing team. :roll:
Even Acer themselves label it as a 1ms GTG so you shouldn't worry.

ROCKZ

Post by ROCKZ » 07 Aug 2019, 18:13

ROCKZ wrote:
forcedreg wrote:
Even Acer themselves label the XF252Q as a 1ms GTG so you shouldn't worry.

boon

Post by boon » 07 Aug 2019, 21:35

Just bought it. I really wanted the 240hz ULMB, and it was in my price range. Upgrading from a 120hz Benq xl2410t, so I don't have much experience with high refresh rate nor Motion blur reduction.