Best 240hz Monitor for Competitive CSGO

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Farsot

Re: Best 240hz Monitor for Competitive CSGO

Post by Farsot » 11 Aug 2019, 05:35

Notty_PT wrote:No , do not trade the xg258q for the pg. The pg25 has noticeable input lag and some bad artifacts on some colour gradients. There is a thread on this forum showing it on fortnite, for example, and is a very recent thread too.

For xg258q overdrive you need to use either UserMode or FPS. Then go to colour and use Warm. Turn down contrast to 70 overdrive level 3 and use the cable that came with the monitor.

Let me know if it improved anything. It did A LOT on my unit.

DO NOT use racing mode because it induces 0 sharpness and even static text will be blurry
Thank you for this settings....
Made a huge difference when switch to
user mode
Brighthness 25 (dark room)
Contrast 70
Blue Light 0
Color Warm
Gamma 2.5
Overdrive 3

aditholmes

Re: Best 240hz Monitor for Competitive CSGO

Post by aditholmes » 03 Mar 2020, 16:05

Notty_PT wrote:
27 Mar 2019, 03:44
Hi there. For counter strike a 240hz monitor is defo the best option because you will easily sustain the required framerate.

Now, as Accelero said, current 240hz panels are pretty much crappy. There isn´t a single model that stands out like we can find on 144hz where 2 or 3 models are defo the way to go and almost "perfect".

With that being said, the persistence/motion clarity + input lag advantages that we find on 240hz and specifically on an old engine like Counter Strike, can easily justify using a "flawed" 240hz monitor.

While on 144hz I would immediatly reccomend Viewsonic XG2402 because it is simply superior to everything else, on 240hz I must give you options and talk about the disadvantages and advantages of each one.

The models I would consider, without any specific order:

AlienWare AW2518HF

. Good price
. Gsync 100% compability tested by me
. Great/best contrast from all the 240hz
. Good colours for TN panel
. Awful overshoot/inverse ghosting on every preset, to the point that you will notice it on bright colours while in game. Won´t even mention on websites, is painful to use this monitor sometimes. Decreasing Contrast helps to aliviate the problem a bit, but you will still notice it on some colours. There are some people that have a kind of "fix" by toying with CRU and other software; but all those fixes are really bad as they have bad secondary effects

Asus XG248Q

. Good price
. Gsync 100% compability tested by me (officially supported by Nvidia)
. Smaller size is good (not even 24 inches, it is 23,8 wich is different from the usual 24. Compared to 24,5 you will notice the increased PPI/Detail
. Very good input lag, faster than AlienWare and almost every model apart from one
. Awful contrast and colours
. Backlight bleed/Clouding issues are very likely to happen, some samples are totally unaceptable, you will take a risk of returning it
. You will need a lot of tweaking to eliminate perceived blur because the panel coating is so aggressive that the grainy/smearing effect will bother a lot
. Overshoot = almost nothing, the best model on that department, very hard to detect it
. strobing at 240hz! Works at 100%, but input lag increases a lot (I can notice it)

Asus XG258Q

. Not a good price
. Gsync 100% compability and now officially supported by Nvidia too on their website
. Acceptable contrast, way better than the XG24; colours are acceptable too
. Backlight bleed free, clouding almost inexistant
. Fastest 240hz monitor input lag wise, to the point that you can really notice side by side with another 240hz model
. Wonky overdrive again. You will need to use "User Mode" or "FPS mode" and tweak colours/gamma from there. The other modes have awful lack of sharpness and on moving objects the blur is completly unaceptable. It is aceptable at "UserMode or FPS" with "Warm" colour mode and with contrast around 60. Risk of overshoot artifacts on some colour gradients
. Some models come bundled with a wrong DisplayPort cable and it will cause this model to show an white screen each 5 min or less. This is VERY concerning and totally unaceptable. Asus is aware of this now and bundling the correct cable, but be aware you can get an older sample

I would pick one from these 3. I think XG258Q ends up being the best choice for serious competitive gaming due to its input lag, but it has flaws and a lot of tweaking to do (I can share my settings if you get this one).

XG248Q is the best buy if you want strobing or better image definition/PPI

AlienWare can be irritating because of the massive inverse ghosting problem (wich varies from sample to sample) and is laggier, but still a good option and the cheapest one. I doubt it would make you play way worse than the other ones.

Didn´t bother to mention Benq XL24 (because they are laggy as you can see on Rtings too, they are barely faster than a 144hz monitor like the XG2402 - 4,1ms vs 3,7ms). I also don´t like Benq overdrive a single bit. I think when we buy a 240hz monitor, we don´t want a model that barely beats a good 144hz monitor input lag wise right? I would stay away from Benq 240hz models.

Didn´t bother to mention ViewSonic Xg25 because it is a really bad model with frameskipping issues (wich can be fixed), high input lag and really bad overdrive. Same with the Acer and AOC models. They have new versions now on the stores, but they are still too slow for my taste.

There is one model I never tested, wich is the MSI Oculux NXG251R. It uses the same AUO panel. MSI has been doing a great job with their recent VA 144hz monitors so who knows how well they did with the NXG. But I didn´t see a single review yet and it is not being sold at an acceptable price here in Europe (500€+, wich is way overpriced)
hello , i would like to know your tweak setting for XG258Q, please sent me email to [email protected] . thanks a lot