Should I keep trying to clean these?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
buzinski

Should I keep trying to clean these?

Post by buzinski » 06 Aug 2019, 13:07

So i've been an idiot and left oil spots for longer than usual on my monitor and now I just can't clean the bloody spots even with dishwashing liquid, at least not entirely. I have 5 of these on my dell aw2518h monitor: https://imgur.com/a/7SCd9UM

I managed to clean enough so that they're impossible to see with the display dry no matter how I look at it or how I shine a flashlight on it, but will they cause any harm to the coating in time? I might keep on scraping the display some more but I'm afraid that would damage the coating.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Should I keep trying to clean these?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Aug 2019, 16:56

Continuing to clean will cause some further inconsistencies -- there is a risk of too much polishing-down the matteness of the antiglare coating -- which can look worse than an almost-gone oil spot. There are solvents designed for monitor screens that work much better than dishwashing liquid, and doesn't require you to riskily scrub with a cloth.

But at this stage -- if it's good when dry, then it's best not to do any further action -- it's possible to overpolish a matte film, creating glossy-vs-matte inconsistencies on the coating.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!