Best Monitor for Competitive Xbox and PC Gaming

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
jeffdb123

Best Monitor for Competitive Xbox and PC Gaming

Post by jeffdb123 » 08 Aug 2019, 15:47

Looking for the best crossover monitor to use for both Xbox One X and PC. I care only about the monitor's performance for competitive FPS gaming; so low lag, excellent motion clarity, and overall smoothness are more important than color quality. I have read on here that the ViewSonic XG2402 is a good Xbox One X monitor, but I'm wondering if there is something with a higher ceiling for PC that will work just as well for the Xbox.

For reference, I have an XL2546 that I bought recently for PC, but I'm still playing Xbox more than I expected (and I'm still within the return window). It seems to work OK for the Xbox, but: (1) it doesn't have Freesync support to my knowledge (2) the blur reduction won't work with Xbox because it doesn't single strobe (3) it doesn't seem as clear/has ghosting at the lower Xbox framerates and (4) I do play CS and some older games on PC, but I also play newer BR games where I know I won't hit 240 frames at even 1080p, so I'm wondering if a 1440p monitor for better clarity rendering enemies far away would be more useful for me than the current 240hz panels given I'm also using the Xbox. My PC uses a 2080ti/9900k overclocked.

What I'm considering:
1) Get a 1440p freesync 144hz monitor. The current best seems to be the Dell S2719DGF and its timing per rtings is close to the Viewsonic XG2402, or I could wait for the ASUS TUF VG27BQ to come out. It can do sync and blur reduction at the same time and seems likely superior. I have up until mid-September to return the XL2546.
2) Stay at 1080p and just get the XG2402 for now
3) Stay at 240hz and 1080p but switch to a panel that works better with an Xbox and has freesync support, namely the ASUS XG248Q (or the XL2540?)
4) Keep the XL2546 and see if I can get used to it on Xbox
5) High resolution 144hz freesync IPS panels like the PG279Q or even Predator X27/PG27UQ.. The rtings tests don't show much lag vs. a TN panel but I'm still worried that doesn't tell the whole story. My inclination is that TN will still be better.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best Monitor for Competitive Xbox and PC Gaming

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Aug 2019, 18:06

Very good questions!

The matter of fact is that it's sometimes a very game-specific situation. Crossover monitors are often imperfect compromises, and sometimes it's easier to have 2 separate monitors (one for each). Given you are using a RTX card, that's plenty of horsepower for 240Hz...

The XL2546 has great low latency for 240 Hz but has worse 60 Hz latency than others.

Games with less motion and more faraway objects, can benefit from 1440p.
On the other hand, fast-twitch fast-motion almost always favours 240Hz.

The ASUS ELMB-SYNC is a definitely very interesting option but it won't single strobe at 60fps framerates; it automatically switches to doublestrobe at below approximately ~80fps, which is an excellent compromise for flicker and makes it look much better than GSYNC+ULMB hack. That said, it does not solve the "I can't single-strobe 60Hz" conundrum.

Is two-monitor an option for you?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!