MBR vs Freesync vs Override:Boost AOC Monitor !!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Avrahammer

Re: MBR vs Freesync vs Override:Boost AOC Monitor !!

Post by Avrahammer » 22 Aug 2019, 18:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
CAN0N wrote:3-MBR "Motion Blur Reduction"
As i increase MBR in a scale from 0 to 20 , the monitors dimms as i increase it.
Excellent to know that this is an adjustable-persistence (adjustable-MPRT) strobing monitor including optional access to <1ms MPRT.

Blur Busters is a strong advocate of adjustable-persistence, like the old LightBoost 10%-vs-50%-vs-100%

A good adjustable-MPRT benchmark is TestUFO Panning Map Test at 3000 pixels/second. You will see text clarity differences on this map everytime you adjust MBR. But at one point, it becomes too dark to be useful -- so basically it can be used as your brightness adjustment too.

To see maximum MBR benefits in games, you will need perfect framerate=Hz sync (either VSYNC ON or Low-Lag VSYNC or RTSS Scanline Sync, and reduce your Hz to be at the bottom end of your game's framerate range) AND at least 1600dpi+ on your gaming mouse. One of the better modern 12800dpi sensors running in ~3200dpi-6400dpi also work well if your game's sensitivity can be lowered sufficiently dramatically to make it feel like a 400dpi mouse that many esports player are familiar with -- this turns the mouse "TestUFO-smooth" with strobign. Eliminates strobe jitteriness with ultrahigh DPI + ultra good mousepad + fresh mouse feet helps. Since strobing (MBR) amplifies visibility of microstuttering. Once optimized (if strobing is bright and colorful enough on your monitor), strobing looks amazing. But it's still the Right Tool for the Right Job.

Controlling all sources of microstutter is extremely critical if you want to see maximal motion clarity benefits of <1ms MPRT. I can see human-eye visible differences between 0.5ms MPRT and 1.0ms MPRT in the TestUFO Google Map 3000 pixels/sec test. But to do that, you need to optimize your game to be properly TestUFO-smooth.
CAN0N wrote:Note : i'm currently using Strong + FreeSync due to high brightness and beatiful colors
...That said, FreeSync can be a more fun experience in very stuttery games.

You may prefer to stick to FreeSync. That said, getting familiar with how to optimize MBR is a useful skill so you can use it for games that benefits more from MBR than from FreeSync (like very scrolly games and heavy-eyetracking-games that has no crosshairs for your eyes to stationarily-fixate on). Or if you're a fan of CRT motion clarity.

Assuming MBR colors are good and bright (it's not always on all models of monitors -- very tough to do colorful MBR) .... MBR can become superior to FreeSync if you manage to do perfect framerate=Hz (trying to do that, often requires VSYNC ON that often adds a little input lag).

If you're prioritizing on brightness/colors and de-stuttering, FreeSync is a hell lot easier.

If you're prioritizing on motion clarity in certain games you'd use MBR + VSYNC ON(and related low-lag alternatives) + at least 1600dpi+ mouse.
What is the optimal setting for MBR if i wanna have a tear-free experience with minimum latency?
I use g-sync with the optimal settings of RTSS limiter and VSYNC ON and everything is great but i play Rainbow Six Siege and wanna use the MBR setting for the AOC c24g1.
Also, Does the low-latency mode that nvidia just released with the new driver factor into all of this?

senny22

Post by senny22 » 23 Aug 2019, 02:36

Avrahammer wrote:
What is the optimal setting for MBR if i wanna have a tear-free experience with minimum latency?
I use g-sync with the optimal settings of RTSS limiter and VSYNC ON and everything is great but i play Rainbow Six Siege and wanna use the MBR setting for the AOC c24g1.
Also, Does the low-latency mode that nvidia just released with the new driver factor into all of this?
Problem is you can't use MBR with adaptive sync. Your best bet is to stick with G-sync for games with lower frames. For games where your fps is much higher though like CS:GO, you can either run the framerate at a ton of frames or use v-sync or scanline sync together with MBR.

Avrahammer

Post by Avrahammer » 23 Aug 2019, 08:42

senny22 wrote:
Avrahammer wrote:
Problem is you can't use MBR with adaptive sync. Your best bet is to stick with G-sync for games with lower frames. For games where your fps is much higher though like CS:GO, you can either run the framerate at a ton of frames or use v-sync or scanline sync together with MBR.
Yes i am aware that i have to choose between MBR and GSYNC, but i can run R6 siege at 144 fps. Question is, does it have to be 100% steady or is it ok for it to be 143/144 and sometimes dipping to high 130s? If it has to be steady as a rock i can just change to 120hz.
But for lowest input lag and no tears Scanline sync is the way to go?

senny22

Post by senny22 » 23 Aug 2019, 14:16

Avrahammer wrote:
senny22 wrote:
Avrahammer wrote:
Yes i am aware that i have to choose between MBR and GSYNC, but i can run R6 siege at 144 fps. Question is, does it have to be 100% steady or is it ok for it to be 143/144 and sometimes dipping to high 130s? If it has to be steady as a rock i can just change to 120hz.
But for lowest input lag and no tears Scanline sync is the way to go?
Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what happens when fps drops below refresh rate using strobing but as I've understood, some very poor stuttering will occur when using scanline sync (or vsync for that matter) when your frame rate drops and using MBR will only amplify this stuttering. Thus you should use a refresh rate of which your frames basically never drop below and then limit your frames at that refresh rate using scanline sync (or vsync but that has higher input lag). This way strobing works at it's best.