Second XF252Q (On Fourth). QA issues.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
masneb

Second XF252Q (On Fourth). QA issues.

Post by masneb » 21 Aug 2019, 23:04

So before I send my second monitor back I'd like to inquire as to if anyone else is having these issues. It seems as though this monitor shimmers or pulsates with Freesync on, like when you have ULMB on, however it's obviously not on. I suspect poor power delivery is responsible for this and not only is it a ticking bomb, but it's also very hard on the eyes. It happens during videos on the desktop as well occasionally and is quite distracting.

Also while this one doesn't have any stuck pixels, I've noticed like a moire or screen door effect which is much more prominent then the first one.

Although I could potentially get used to the shimmer, I think I'd rather turn Freesync off as it is very hard on the eyes.
Last edited by masneb on 25 Sep 2019, 19:22, edited 3 times in total.

masneb

Re: Second XF252Q

Post by masneb » 21 Aug 2019, 23:30

Plugged the first one back in and indeed it's a issue with the second display. First one was almost perfect except for the stuck red pixel.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 22 Aug 2019, 03:31

masneb wrote:Plugged the first one back in and indeed it's a issue with the second display. First one was almost perfect except for the stuck red pixel.
I have myself XF252Q and my friend has it also. We have no any problems whatsoever with the units, (although both have different backlight diformity and backlight bleeding)

Overall unlucky, you just got a faulty unit and that happens everywhere. Good luck getting a new one! :)

masneb

Post by masneb » 22 Aug 2019, 14:42

Yeah, just making sure. Are you running with Freesync enabled both on the monitor and in the Nvidia control panel with the compatibility mode ticked?

It's most evident when playing games where the FPS fluctuates quite a bit. I'm going to give it some more time and see if leaving the backlight on at 100% overnight for a couple days fixes it.

steel116

Post by steel116 » 23 Aug 2019, 11:19

masneb wrote:Yeah, just making sure. Are you running with Freesync enabled both on the monitor and in the Nvidia control panel with the compatibility mode ticked?

It's most evident when playing games where the FPS fluctuates quite a bit. I'm going to give it some more time and see if leaving the backlight on at 100% overnight for a couple days fixes it.

Ofc, Freesync with g-sync compatible mode is a must have to use this monitor and many others. I wouldn't be able to handle all the ghosting if you had to play without G-Sync Compatible.

masneb

Post by masneb » 23 Aug 2019, 14:47

Freesync removes tearing, has nothing to do with ghosting. :l

steel116

Post by steel116 » 24 Aug 2019, 08:54

masneb wrote:Freesync removes tearing, has nothing to do with ghosting. :l
It does.

Try it urself. Check it on UFO Ghosting tool developed by blurbusters.

Freesync (g-sync compatible) actually reduces ghosting greatly. I tried myself already like 5 240hz monitors, on most G-Sync compatible reduced ghosting (except Asus XG258Q - he was something kinda strange)

but on Dell AW2518HF worked as well great.

masneb

Post by masneb » 30 Aug 2019, 09:17

My third XF252Q is going to be going back. There is a bright oval in the center of the screen you can see whenever something is dark blueish or dark grey. I didn't notice it at first, but once you see it, you can't unsee it and moving in any scrolling type game like a moba it pops out immediately.

I've also noticed the Amazon listing for the XF252Q is now replaced with the XF240YU, which is a different model entirely.

This is really a darn shame if this was a limited run model and I got three duds in a row considering how good it is if QA wasn't all over the place. My first panel would've been great if it wasn't for that one stuck red pixel.

Max_hz

Re: Second XF252Q (Third)

Post by Max_hz » 31 Aug 2019, 04:02

Wow three duds in a row, that's unacceptable high, are they selecting only the bad panels for sale?
It's still on Amazon.com but with the "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock." message, maybe that's a good thing ;)
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Second XF252Q (Third)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2019, 04:06

I recognize this exact pattern.
That's the monitor rear doing pressure on the panel.
This happens when the monitor box is stored/shipped horizontally.

You know how pressing a finger on the monitor causes color deformation at that spot? Yep. Exactly. Except this time, it's the weight of the monitor rear continuously pressing on the screen, for an incorrectly-stored gaming monitor.

Complain to Amazon that the monitors have was incorrectly stored or shipped horizontally, and that the monitor got damage because of this. The pressure formed this permanent spot. This is why online stores should warehouse monitors vertically -- never stored flat

Possible Workaround: BREAK IN TIME
In small cases (e.g. 10% of the time) this can disappear. More easy to fix if it was only stored flat for one day (e.g. at a FedEx depot) rather than weeks at the original warehouse. Disable screen saver, max-out screen brightness to make it run as hot as safely possible (high temps helps an LCD to settle), and run monitor 24/7 running a full screen video loop or gaming loop. See if the liquid crystals "settle in" to remove these pressure spots caused by incorrect warehouse storage of gaming monitors. Please allow 1 week (~200 hours of 24/7) for monitors to break in. If fail, get monitor returned/exchanged. This should be well-within Amazon return periods. Try this first.

...Just like it takes a few seconds for a finger-pressed LCD to have its color deformation disappear -- it can take several days for a rear-pressured incorrectly-stored LCD that a day or two of pressure -- for the pressure to undo itself. But if the monitor was stored for days, weeks or months in this state, the damage may be permanent.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!