Asus XG248q ELMB ghosting

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
yodanimal

Asus XG248q ELMB ghosting

Post by yodanimal » 19 Jul 2019, 12:56

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for some time attempting to find a good middle ground fix, but I think I need some specific suggestions on what to do about this.

I'm seeing very noticeable artifacts, tearing, or ghosting effects during Fortnite. This is either from its constant fluctuating frames, or I am limiting my frames incorrectly. My frames in game can sometimes go from 300+ all the way down to maybe 120-150, rarely lower.

If I have ELMB on at 240hz, 200hz, 144hz, I am seeing this ghosting effect when spinning the camera around, which is terrible for building mechanic and close range tracking. Otherwise I am getting a ton of motion blur and screen tearing with ELMB off, and G-sync both on or off.

I'm exhausted on what to do, fiddled with dozens of combinations of refreshrates, V-sync on/off with G-sync on/off, Overdrive (0/1/2/3), in game limiting vs RTSS limiting or Scanline sync. And I don't mind adding input lag by improving the clarity of the game. Does anyone have a setting they recommend or have settled on for this balancing act?

Last night I was reading this behemoth of a thread "Why I'm done with 240hz" and feel like I'm even more confused on what settings to use now. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4914

Specs:
Asus XG248q
Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII mobo
i5 6600k (OC 4.6Ghz)
MSI 1070 gaming x (OCed)
Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB) 3000Mhz
Samsung M.2 ssd (OS and Fortnite)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Asus XG248q ELMB ghosting

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jul 2019, 08:36

Forum threads about ghosting in non-strobe mode can be different from forum threads about ghosting (strobe crosstalk) in strobe mode. Do not confuse the two; on some models the differences are really big (e.g. Acer GN246HL is crappy at ghosting in non-strobe, but very good in LightBoost mode). So, first, let’s simplify the troubleshooting first. Sometimes the quality of strobe vs non-strobe corresponds but sometimes they diverge majorly if the factory tuning for one or the other is superior.

So let’s simplify troubleshooting.

First, test TestUFO.
Strobe crosstalk is sometimes a monitor limitation that is only fixed by switching brands of monitors.

Calibrate using
https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk

Article about strobe crosstalk:
https://www.blurbusters.com/crosstalk

First, try to get TestUFO as clear as possible before you start Fortnite again. Test all major refresh rates, including refresh rates as low as 100Hz and 120Hz, and see what refresh rate you get less crosstalk at. Also try the dynamic range compression trick (digitally brighten your blacks, digitally darken your whites) which can reduce ghosting and strobe crosstalk.

Currently, the best usually comes from NVIDIA implementations (LightBoost, ULMB), though one can get pretty good with calibrating a 144Hz 1080p BenQ gaming monitor and a few other models.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yodanimal

Re: Asus XG248q ELMB ghosting

Post by yodanimal » 26 Aug 2019, 13:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Calibrate using
https://www.testufo.com/crosstalk

First, try to get TestUFO as clear as possible before you start Fortnite again. Test all major refresh rates, including refresh rates as low as 100Hz and 120Hz, and see what refresh rate you get less crosstalk at. Also try the dynamic range compression trick (digitally brighten your blacks, digitally darken your whites) which can reduce ghosting and strobe crosstalk.
Thank you for the response!

I am seeing the least amount of crosstalk with ELMB On and refresh rate set to 240hz. Also, I can see a huge improvement in reducing crosstalk using Nvidia control panel and lowing the nvidia brightness to 30-35% and contrast to 20-25%. However, I'm currently settling on 144hz refresh rate, ELMB on, and uncapped framerate, my CPU/GPU can only render sub 100-140fps during busy periods (scrim endgames). It does seem like the monitors gamma setting on 2.2 has the least amount of doubling.

i5-6600k
16gb ram
corsair vengeance 2x8Gb 3000mHz
G Pro Wireless 800 dpi / 1000hz

I'm curious if you have any suggestions/threads on strobe timing adjustments or vertical totals settings for the XG248q? I'm seeing a lot of doubling in Kovaak's Aim Trainer, exaggerated by using a background grid (black w/ white grid-lines) and moving the camera back and forth. The lines are clearly being doubled and I'm not sure if this is a rendering side problem or on the display side. Any ideas on how to reduced this during fast camera movements?

If you pause during this video (not mine) you can see it happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQVr5dnB4GM