Nvidia Low Latency mode and ULMB

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
knypol

Nvidia Low Latency mode and ULMB

Post by knypol » 31 Aug 2019, 03:53

I'm curious if with latest feature of Nvidia driver Low Latency Mode "Ultra" do I still need to substract 0.01 frame with vsync on to reduce input lag when using ULMB?

Does it matter if I use double or triple buffer vsync? I found out that triple is much more fluid in Apex. Or should i use Nvidia panel vsync for ulmb?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Nvidia Low Latency mode and ULMB

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Aug 2019, 04:02

The new NVIDIA Low Latency Mode may make the low-lag VSYNC HOWTO less needed -- latency tests are needed.

Triple has more lag. The problem is you're doing a stutter-vs-lag tradeoff.

If you want fluidity, you should use GSYNC/FreeSync instead. It's usually lower lag than low-lag VSYNC ON.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

knypol

Post by knypol » 31 Aug 2019, 04:10

hmm U sure that triple has more lag than double?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 31 Aug 2019, 06:36

^ With framerates below the refresh rate, typically, yes, it does; "triple" buffer (obviously) means three buffers, whereas "double" means two.

Triple buffer only has less input lag than double buffer when the "triple" we're talking about is a Fast Sync variant (or the like), and only when the framerate is above (usually well above) the refresh rate.

For reference, as stated in G-SYNC 101:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ettings/4/
As for “triple buffer” V-SYNC, while the subject won’t be delved into here due to the fact that G-SYNC is based on a double buffer, the name actually encompasses two entirely separate methods; the first should be considered “alt” triple buffer V-SYNC, and is the method featured in the majority of modern games. Unlike double buffer V-SYNC, it prevents the lock to half the refresh rate when the framerate falls below it, but in turn, adds 1 frame of delay over double buffer V-SYNC when the framerate exceeds the refresh rate; if double buffer adds 2-6 frames of delay, for instance, this method would add 3-7 frames.

“True” triple buffer V-SYNC, like “alt,” prevents the lock to half the refresh rate, but unlike “alt,” can actually reduce V-SYNC latency when the framerate exceeds the refresh rate. This “true” method is rarely used, and its availability, in part, can depend on the game engine’s API (OpenGL, DirectX, etc).

A form of this “true” method is implemented by the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) for borderless and windowed mode, and by Fast Sync, both of which will be explained in more detail further on.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)