Reduce motion blur on Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU & PS4 Pro

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
kingeryck

Reduce motion blur on Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU & PS4 Pro

Post by kingeryck » 11 Sep 2019, 17:53

There's noticeable motion blur when playing the PS4 and I feel like there shouldn't be with this monitor. It's set to 160mhz right now. What can I do to reduce the blur?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Reduce motion blur on Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU & PS4

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Sep 2019, 18:38

The Z321QU monitor is a VA panel -- they tend to ghost quite a bit in dark colors.

To minimize ghosting on VA panels:
(1) Warm the panels up for 30 minutes. They perform much better when warmed up.
(2) Adjust colors to be brighter, or brighter gamma (make the grays much brighter). This can avoid problematic ghosting in certain games.

I suggest a fast IPS panel or a fast TN panel if you want better 60fps at 60Hz console gaming. And if motion blur was still a problem with those, motion blur reduction features are also an option but are not as common at 60 Hz (except on certain models such as the BenQ XL2411P).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TTT

Re: Reduce motion blur on Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU & PS4

Post by TTT » 17 Sep 2019, 11:36

The screen probably isn't running at its max hz, the HDMI input will be locked to 60hz.

And what chief said VA is blurry and traily, it gets better at higher fps but thats only possible on a PC.