Cap your fps people (battlenonsense)

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
GFresha

Re: Cap your fps people (battlenonsense)

Post by GFresha » 26 Sep 2019, 16:06

jorimt wrote:
GFresha wrote:Does it matter if we cap below or above the refresh rate?
As long as you're not using a syncing method in your case (V-SYNC OFF @144Hz, 200 FPS), and your framerate is being constantly limited by the set FPS cap, AND your GPU usage isn't maxed, then this should work to reduce input lag at any FPS limit your system can sustain, whether it be above or below the refresh rate.

The method depicted in the video is divorced of syncing solutions and pre-rendered frames queue settings, and instead relies on the set FPS limit to prevent max GPU usage, which (typically) effectively eliminates the pre-rendered frames queue/GPU bottleneck so long as the system FPS is sustained above the set FPS limit at all times.
Is their any benefit to enable ultra low latency for games where I can get FPS 200+ and my CPU and GPU are like barely at 20%? Or should we only use that setting once we are at 99% GPU usage? And if so do we use ultra or on? Not sure you can answer those as this setting is still new but just thought I ask.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 26 Sep 2019, 16:54

^ As far as I'm aware, that new setting (both "on" and "ultra" variants) is typically only useful for reducing input lag in GPU-limited/maxed usage situations.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

disq

Post by disq » 26 Sep 2019, 17:23

what about g-sync (which needs v-sync on, in order to work) we should see a slight increase in input lag vs not using any kind of syncing method, right?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 26 Sep 2019, 18:28

^ The input lag reduction method being discussed in this thread is sync-agnostic, and is at the system-level, not the display-level (aka sync-induced input lag).

As for G-SYNC, its only input lag "increase" over V-SYNC OFF is the lack of tearing at the same framerate (within the refresh rate).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Sep 2019, 07:48

disq wrote:what about g-sync (which needs v-sync on, in order to work) we should see a slight increase in input lag vs not using any kind of syncing method, right?
Gsync doesn't need vsync to work. It only needs vsync to prevent temporary tearing in games that have frametime spikes.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

disq

Post by disq » 27 Sep 2019, 09:53

RealNC wrote:
disq wrote:what about g-sync (which needs v-sync on, in order to work) we should see a slight increase in input lag vs not using any kind of syncing method, right?
Gsync doesn't need vsync to work. It only needs vsync to prevent temporary tearing in games that have frametime spikes.
Isn't that the purpose of Gsync though? To eliminate the tearing/stutter thus making the need of Vsync on a requirement

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 Sep 2019, 17:36

disq wrote:Isn't that the purpose of Gsync though? To eliminate the tearing/stutter thus making the need of Vsync on a requirement
Nope. Gsync is a replacement for vsync. The vsync setting when in gsync mode controls the way the gsync algorithm compensates for unstable frametimes. Most games don't have frametime issues, so you can turn off vsync, cap your FPS and you will never see tearing. However, turning vsync on protects against tearing in games that do have unstable frametimes.

You can read the G-Sync 101 articles:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... -settings/
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 27 Sep 2019, 22:50

I know this was already mentioned by the GOAT Gsync article posted on here, but how much input lag in MS to expect with the following combo?

RTTS 141 FPS cap + Gsync on + vsync on = how much input lag MS?

I know RTTS adds 1 MS, i don't know about gsync on + vsync on at 141 vs gsync on + vsync off on 141 and if they even have a difference in input lag.

I'm too lazy to take a look, if not then its okay

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Sep 2019, 08:29

GFresha wrote:RTTS 141 FPS cap + Gsync on + vsync on = how much input lag MS?
The absolute lag depends on the game of course. If you measure different games with these settings, you'll get different results. In some you get 20ms, in some 30ms, or something else.

Note that G-Sync doesn't play much of a role here. The input lag of a 141FPS cap with g-sync ON and vsync OFF or ON is pretty much the same as g-sync OFF and vsync OFF. The difference is only about 1ms, which really doesn't matter.

Also, RTSS doesn't add 1ms (but I think you meant to say 1 frame, not 1 ms.) It is neutral when it comes to input lag. RTSS will give you the natural input lag of the target frame rate in double-buffer output mode. That turns out to be the 1 frame in the front buffer plus a large part of the 1 frame in the back buffer (how large depends on when the game reads player input after RTSS returns control to the game.) What that means is that RTSS neither adds nor reduces input lag. It's neutral. (Of course getting rid of the GPU bottleneck shows a huge input lag reduction, as demonstrated in the video. RTSS will of course have that effect too. But what I'm saying here is that once the GPU bottleneck disappears due to the frame cap, RTSS gives you the natural input lag of your target FPS. Nothing less, nothing more.)

GFresha

Post by GFresha » 28 Sep 2019, 11:50

Awesome reply man thanks!!!