ULMB vs CRT

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Vega

Re: ULMB vs CRT

Post by Vega » 03 Oct 2019, 14:28

IMO my FW900 at 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz had the best motion clarity I've ever seen. LCD back-light strobing can be decent (although typically dim), but there will always be some cross-talk that won't be able to keep up with a great CRT even if it has a little phosphor decay.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Oct 2019, 15:37

Vega wrote:IMO my FW900 at 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz had the best motion clarity I've ever seen.
For me this was already the case at 60Hz. I didn't see any better motion clarity when running the CRT at 120Hz. The flicker was gone obviously, and there was much less stroboscopic effect going on, but other than that, 60Hz on a CRT monitor was already crystal clear.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Oct 2019, 17:52

On impulse displays, motion blur is controlled by the impulse length. Phosphor persistence (for a given brightness) is fixed, so motion blur of a CRT doesn't change. The brighter, the longer persistence.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vega

Post by Vega » 04 Oct 2019, 01:31

RealNC wrote:
Vega wrote:IMO my FW900 at 1920x1200 @ 96 Hz had the best motion clarity I've ever seen.
For me this was already the case at 60Hz. I didn't see any better motion clarity when running the CRT at 120Hz. The flicker was gone obviously, and there was much less stroboscopic effect going on, but other than that, 60Hz on a CRT monitor was already crystal clear.
Yes without flicker is implied. I can't use a CRT at 60 Hz, and any strobe/BFI at 60 Hz, drives me crazy.

BlurBoss

Post by BlurBoss » 04 Oct 2019, 04:33

Maybe I should find FW900 too? Is this the best CRT monitor?
This article inspired me to try CRT monitor https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... t-monitors
BenQ XL2546, i9-9900K @ 5.0 GHz, RTX 2080 Ti, 32GB (2 x 16GB) 3200 MHz CL14 RAM, Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac.

Nikorasu081

Post by Nikorasu081 » 22 Nov 2019, 19:19

BlurBoss wrote: Maybe I should find FW900 too? Is this the best CRT monitor?
This article inspired me to try CRT monitor https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... t-monitors
That's the holy grail of CRTs!!! If had that, my ASUS PG27UQ would go in my closet!
I'm actually having a hard time enjoying gaming after experimenting with CRT vs LCD. I got a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB I picked up for free and it looks so smooth at 60Hz vs my PG27UQ at 144Hz. I can easily track objects in 3D/2D games rather I be scrolling, panning/rotating the camera 360°. It's insane that decade old technology can beat the most expensive gaming monitor on the market when it comes to motion clarity. I'm ready for microLED to become mainstream and hit the PC monitor market. I want 4K 60Hz with the 0-motion blur like CRT. After playing with CRT for a week, I've come to hate motion blur more than I love HDR/4K. Playing on CRT has made it hard for me to enjoy gaming on LCD again due to experiencing the smooth clarity of 0-motionblur on the CRT. Our eyes produce motion blur naturally, monitors shouldn't!!
Chief Blur Buster wrote:On impulse displays, motion blur is controlled by the impulse length. Phosphor persistence (for a given brightness) is fixed, so motion blur of a CRT doesn't change. The brighter, the longer persistence.
Any hope for MicroLED producing 0-motion blur at 60Hz without the need for strobing/black frame insertion? MicroLED is even faster than OLED when it comes to pure response time G2G and MPRT according to this https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/upl ... OLED-1.png MicroLED has a response time measured in nano seconds vs OLED which is microseconds, is that alone fast enough not to have any motion-blur at 60Hz? Also, couldn't MicroLED emulate CRT's since the LEDs could act as scanlines like how CRTs work? My biggest question overall is MicroLED a "sample and hold" display for that nanosecond response time to even matter? I for one assume isn't because those microscopic LEDs are basically acting as pixels.