What is pixel transition time?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gulul

What is pixel transition time?

Post by gulul » 09 Oct 2019, 06:30

Hi,
After almost 2 years on my 240hz monitor (zowie xl2540) I am back on my 144hz because I can't handle it anymore. I play high level csgo (3k+ elo faceit, rank A+ on ESEA both in EU). I like the 240hz smoothness and the lower input lag but there is a problem since day 1 and after two years is literally the same. I can't hold angles and it looks like everyone prefires me. As soon as I switch to my old 144hz monitor is like my reflex are 10 times better and the same enemies are now a lot slower, can't even shot at me. I thought it was because I had to get accustomed to my new monitor, but the problem is that when someone peeks me I can't follow him with my eyes. It should be easy with the 240hz but it isn't. My monitor isn't faulty because I have changed multiple units and the problem is still the same. When someone peeks me is like my brain has some delay to process the image. Now I always thought it was placebo etc., but yesterday I saw these graphs on rtings.

https://ibb.co/ZXg2dd4
https://ibb.co/QXnqb1y

Is pixel persistence related to blur? Because I hate the blur more than inputlag. I can't stand it, I am used to CRT, I still think it's the best technology and should have never been abandoned. I hate the delay on every LCD monitor, but I can't stand motion blur. So, is pixel persistence affecting blur? Especially the two values 0-80 and 100-80 are so high on my xl2540, definitely higher than my benq 144hz. The second image is from the new omex 25f, and the values are so much better I am thinking about buying it. Can someone explain to me if that high pixel transition time can have the effect I am describing in game? Thanks a lot!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: What is pixel transition time?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Oct 2019, 11:27

Very good images....

It's hard to say if pixel transition time may have the biggest effect on you or not --

There are potentially many causes so it's careful to choose the right tree in the forest, and not go on a wild goose chase for a red herring. So let's try to narrow it down a little bit. There are two different pixel response benchmarks. GtG and MPRT.

Pixel Response FAQ: GtG versus MPRT

Also, have you turned ON/OFF the motion blur reduction feature? How does your performance change with it ON versus OFF? The exact factors affecting you is unknown, but could be many factors

-- Ghosting/Blurring, as seen in LCD Motion Artifacts FAQ
-- Strobe Crosstalk, as seen in strobe crosstalk FAQ
-- Stroboscopic artifacts, as seen in Stroboscopic effect of finite frame rate displays
-- symmetric blur versus asymmetric blur (ghosting/coronas)

Another thing is about latency inconsistencies throughout the screen's plane that varies on LCD (Strobed/nonstrobed) vs CRT, see this post I made.

Some things that might help us narrow down your issue:
-- Are you being most bothered by blurs/ghosting during eye-tracking, or blurs/ghosting during stationary gaze?
That said, MPRT has more an effect than GtG on motion blur.
-- Asymmetric blur (e.g. ghosting/coronas) is caused by GtG being different for different color combinations than others. Overdrive tries to fixes some of this (reduces ghosting but may create coronas).
-- Microstuttering's influence in blur. Microstuttering can blend into blur and vice versa, given there exists a continuum between stutter and blur (animation1, animation2) since high-frequency stuttering blends into extra blur above and beyond GtG/MPRT.
-- Consider beat frequencies between frame-rate cap versus refresh rate. There may be more microstuttering at 240Hz MODULUS 300fps cap, than 144Hz MODULUS 300fps cap. Choose your frame rate cap wisely, to modify the microstutter mechanics during VSYNC OFF operation.
-- The absolute latency; the latency from the GPU output, to when a pixel starts beginning GtG.
-- The lag training effect (change in latency you need to retrain for).

Different people are sensitive to totally different things. I've been seeing situations where some 144Hz players improve with 240Hz, and some situations where some 144Hz players worsen with a specific 240Hz monitor. It's something Blur Busters is watching closely and is very interested in explaining why these kinds of effects happen.

If you get the Omen 25f (or the ASUS XG248, another high-rated 240Hz monitor peformance-wise), let us know!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Falkentyne

Re: What is pixel transition time?

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Oct 2019, 21:19

gulul wrote:Hi,
After almost 2 years on my 240hz monitor (zowie xl2540) I am back on my 144hz because I can't handle it anymore. I play high level csgo (3k+ elo faceit, rank A+ on ESEA both in EU). I like the 240hz smoothness and the lower input lag but there is a problem since day 1 and after two years is literally the same. I can't hold angles and it looks like everyone prefires me. As soon as I switch to my old 144hz monitor is like my reflex are 10 times better and the same enemies are now a lot slower, can't even shot at me. I thought it was because I had to get accustomed to my new monitor, but the problem is that when someone peeks me I can't follow him with my eyes. It should be easy with the 240hz but it isn't. My monitor isn't faulty because I have changed multiple units and the problem is still the same. When someone peeks me is like my brain has some delay to process the image. Now I always thought it was placebo etc., but yesterday I saw these graphs on rtings.

https://ibb.co/ZXg2dd4
https://ibb.co/QXnqb1y

Is pixel persistence related to blur? Because I hate the blur more than inputlag. I can't stand it, I am used to CRT, I still think it's the best technology and should have never been abandoned. I hate the delay on every LCD monitor, but I can't stand motion blur. So, is pixel persistence affecting blur? Especially the two values 0-80 and 100-80 are so high on my xl2540, definitely higher than my benq 144hz. The second image is from the new omex 25f, and the values are so much better I am thinking about buying it. Can someone explain to me if that high pixel transition time can have the effect I am describing in game? Thanks a lot!
With AMA set to "high", go into the factory menu (this combo used to be--power the monitor off, hold buttons #3 and #4, then while holding them down, press the power button and wait until the screen appears, then release, then press button 5 to enter the factory menu), Go to the "OD Gain" setting, and mess with different values between 00 and FF. Try stuff like 20, 4C, 8D, A0 or anything reasonably close (I do not have this monitor--I don't know which values work or not). Then see if your aim/reaction/tracking improves.

Note that ANY resolution or refresh rate change will revert the change and you will have to change the OD Gain option again.

The same option works with AMA Premium however I can't vouch for how it will look.