(Please Help!) Brand new HP Omen 17-an130ca Ghosting Problem

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
ghostbeater

(Please Help!) Brand new HP Omen 17-an130ca Ghosting Problem

Post by ghostbeater » 10 Oct 2019, 05:06

Hey guys, this is my first post here, so please bear with me!

Like the title says, I bought a brand new HP Omen 17-an130ca a couple days ago, and noticed something pretty quickly... The screen is pretty blurry when I tried out my first few games on it. I thought at first that maybe it was just because I wasn't used to the fancy new 120hz screen that it comes with; my usual screen is only 75hz. Regardless, I started to look around online, where I came across this lovely website. With it, I first read the term 'ghosting.' I looked around both here and on google images for examples of ghosting, and figure it's about the closest thing to what I am experiencing: a sort of saturated glow following moving images, VERY noticeable in games. Trying out the UFO test and others showed that it wasn't just an in game thing, but seemingly everywhere on the PC. Even the mouse has a glow to it when it moves (not the usual mouse-duplication-trail that I know is a setting in windows.)

Here are some specs:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20 GHz, 2208 Mhz, 6 Cores 12 Logical Processors
GeForce GTX 1070 NVIDIA
16 GB RAM
BaseBoard HP 846A Version 98.21
BIOS Version/Date AMI F.09 2019-04-24

I plugged in an external monitor (the one that I use with my desktop PC) to my Omen 17 and tried the same games / the same tests, and noticed quite a bit of a difference, despite being plugged into the laptop. I contacted HP support and used the live agent chat service to rule out a number of things. We updated BIOS, NVIDIA Drivers, as well as all Windows 10 updates available, and still the issue persists only on the laptop's main screen.

I've tried playing with G sync, Latency mode, global V sync, in game V sync, and changed the refresh rate from 120 hz down to 60 hz with no change (although from reading on here, apparently 120hz over 60hz is supposed to help solve tearing / ghosting, right?) None of these have made any difference at all. Neither does raising or lowering any of my settings for the games.

From what I can tell, there is no information online that will tell me what the HP Omen 17's monitor response time is (In MS or otherwise) , only the refresh rate in Hertz. For reference, the monitor I have plugged in externally is a 75hz @ 7.5ms

I've also read online that some other versions of HP Omen have had this issue, so I'm not sure if this is just the laptop's standard, or if I have a defective model.

If anyone has any tips or advice, or experience with this issue and / or with this laptop, it would be greatly appreciated! I'm at a total loss. :oops:

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: (Please Help!) Brand new HP Omen 17-an130ca Ghosting Pro

Post by RealNC » 10 Oct 2019, 06:25

Well, if the screen is ghosting and/or blurry, then that's it. There isn't anything you can do about it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

ghostbeater

Post by ghostbeater » 10 Oct 2019, 18:44

Really, that's it? There's no other suggestion or troubleshoot to try, nothing I may have missed?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 11 Oct 2019, 01:18

I don't think there is. LCD pixels aren't configurable. They are what they are.

Normally, the only way to affect ghosting is to change the display's overdrive setting (sometimes called "response time setting.") But this is a laptop, so overdrive isn't configurable. Unless yours has some form of display OSD where you can configure the display.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.