About Asus VG258QR input lag

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MatrixQW

Re: About Asus VG258QR input lag

Post by MatrixQW » 15 Sep 2019, 12:57

leonman44 wrote:Did someone test the input lag in every mode? To be honest i dont really notice any input lag difference between the 3 modes i use (racing,rts/rpg and fps).
I don't notice a difference either.
leonman44 wrote:As for Vividpixel it certainly does add input lag from the moment that the image needs further processing from the original + i find personally the image a little too gimmickly oversharpened. I would just stay away from it.
No idea if it adds input lag. I don't use it because I notice how it makes some letters worse so it doesn't help me.
leonman44 wrote:By increasing the contrast to 80 (default was 50) and decreasing the brightness would allow you to actually use extreme overdrive with almost no overshoot.
I just tried it in https://www.testufo.com/ghosting and introduces alot of blur at 80.
I use TF 100 without overshoot issues with contrast 40.
leonman44 wrote:What i do not actually know is if i get the input lag add just as if i were using the gsync compatible mode from the moment i have the freesync activated in the monitors settings. :?:
I do not know either but you can try it. During a game just turn FreeSync off from the monitor menu (don't touch NVCP) and see if you notice any difference.
leonman44 wrote:Feels dead responsive , like nothing i used before (i owned the pg248q and the pg258q , tested the aw2518h and an lg 24gm77) and i am telling you nothing compared to this display and its actually way cheaper than the gsync ones that most of them had flickering issues and clouding all over the place.
I never tried those monitors but I came from a CRT and can say this one is excellent.
leonman44 wrote:* It seems that i need gsync compatible on and vsync off for this display to perform at best , if i choose fixed refresh rate then all the overshoot issues comes back.
Do not set 'Fixed refresh' in NVCP global configuration. It will disable G-Sync compatibility completely and overshoot is back. You can do it through the monitor or a profile in NVCP.
You need to create a profile in the 'Program Settings' tab and set 'Fixed refresh' there. Check if you set it like this.
I have vsync disabled in global configuration.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 15 Sep 2019, 13:08, edited 2 times in total.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 15 Sep 2019, 13:02

MatrixQW wrote:BTW Karavanasam, I strongly recommend that you get at least a GTX 1060 to take full advantage of the monitor. You will notice the difference in overshoot with FreeSync.
In Fortnite the image is perfect.
Hey man.I am very pleased with recent performance of my monitor.I cant imagine how it can be better than this.I always use at TF:100 setting.Color ghosting is really not a problem for me.Thanks for the advice. :D

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 15 Sep 2019, 13:15

Did someone test the input lag in every mode? To be honest i dont really notice any input lag difference between the 3 modes i use (racing,rts/rpg and fps). I do feel a very noticeable input lag cut by going from trace free 60 to 100 though.

As for Vividpixel it certainly does add input lag from the moment that the image needs further processing from the original + i find personally the image a little too gimmickly oversharpened. I would just stay away from it.

Yes TF:100 makes monitor very fast.Almost like a CRT monitor.I love this speed. :)
Racing mode is great.It decreases blue light which I hate.Also makes monitor's response time faster for my eyes.There may not be a input lag difference maybe.I may remember it wrong.But racing mode is the best mode for me.Less blue light,faster response time.
Vividpixel is a lifesaver for me.I am 40 years old.My eyes cant see perfect like 20 years ago.But I still am a gamer who likes playing multiplayer games.Racing mode's sharpness is not good like other modes but you can make it better by vividpixel.Also I see every ingame objects very detailed and crystal clear.This gives me high advantage in multiplayer fps because I can notice player movements a lot better and faster than other players.My scores are a lot higher now.Even me.A player who doesnt use headphones but just speakers of monitor.You know these people.They are mostly called noobs. :D

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 16 Sep 2019, 02:28

karavanasam wrote: Vividpixel is a lifesaver for me.I am 40 years old.My eyes cant see perfect like 20 years ago.
reshade "Sharpness filter" does better, there are several types and very flexible settings. I am 37 years old.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

karavanasam

Post by karavanasam » 16 Sep 2019, 06:10

1000WATT wrote:
karavanasam wrote: Vividpixel is a lifesaver for me.I am 40 years old.My eyes cant see perfect like 20 years ago.
reshade "Sharpness filter" does better, there are several types and very flexible settings. I am 37 years old.
Thanks for the advice.I like my vividpixel a lot.Everything good for me.Text,image.All good. :)

silver176

Post by silver176 » 14 Oct 2019, 22:33

Hi everyone. I've purchased VG258QR. Does anyone have a good settings for surf web, work with MS office and play CS:GO. Please give me some advise. Tks a lot :D

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 16 Oct 2019, 18:53

Profiles can be saved in monitor's MyFavorite menu. There are three slots.

Racing and sRGB modes are the only ones with correct color profile but wrong sharpness.
FPS mode has correct sharpness. With saturation 40 and brigthness 42% in NVCP the image gets closer to sRGB mode.
Blue Light Filter switches automatically to Racing mode (wich has wrong sharpness) so don't turn it on.
Brightness use whatever you wish, it doesn't hide/show overdrive issues.
Contrast is what shows/hide blur and overshoot. Don't use higher than 78 for web and 60 for games.

Settings for web, apps and movies:
FPS mode
Brightness 70 (NVCP 42%)
Contrast 45
Saturation 40
Color Temp: User Mode RGB 100
Skin Tone: Natural
Smart View: off
Sharpness 50
TraceFree 60
VividPixel 50
ASCR: off
FreeSync: on

Settings for games: (the ones omitted remain the same)
VividPixel 0
Contrast: 40 to 60 (depends on TraceFree and what feels good)
TraceFree: 60, 80 or 100 ( at TF 100, contrast 40 scrolling text is less blurry, contrast higher than 60 overshoots bright colors)
FreeSync: on (if games have visible tearing with fps below 165), off (if games have no visible tearing even with fps below 165)

You can save one profile for FreeSync 'on' and one for 'off'.
If you load a profile with FreeSync 'off' you need to enable FreeSync before shutting off from Windows or the overdrive will not be ok.
Don't disable FreeSync in NVCP Global Configuration. Create an Nvidia profile and set Monitor Technology to fixed refresh if you don't want to load profiles from the monitor menu.
Last edited by MatrixQW on 21 Apr 2020, 19:55, edited 13 times in total.

pwn

Post by pwn » 20 Oct 2019, 03:50

But how much better is it XG258Q (240hz)?

MatrixQW

Post by MatrixQW » 20 Oct 2019, 11:15

I never tried XG258Q.
¿Do you own one?
¿Do you think it's overdrive is bad as people say here?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5415&hilit=xg258

If so, then VG258QR overdrive is better because me and other users don't have problems. The ufo ghosting test is good at TF 60.
There were some users that never got it working but the overdrive is decent (not perfect) with G-Sync compatibility activated.
About input lag it's very responsive for me and I can use TF 100.
So, the only thing I can tell you is try one and return it if you think it's worse than XG258Q.

silver176

Post by silver176 » 22 Oct 2019, 03:32

MatrixQW wrote:Try these settings for everything (web, apps, movies, games). For games just change TraceFree 100.
You can save profiles in monitor's MyFavorite menu.

Cinema mode
Brightness 70
Contrast 40
Saturation 50
Color Temp: user mode RGB 100
Skin Tone: Natural
Smart View: off
Sharpness 50
TraceFree 60
VividPixel 0
ASCR: off
FreeSync: on

Cinema mode gives better blacks and colors.
Blue Light Filter only works in Racing mode so don't turn it on.
Brightness use whatever you wish, it doesn't hide/show overdrive issues.
Contrast higher than 40 you will notice more blur. 60 is still good. Maximum use 78 and set color temp to warm but you can't use TraceFree 100.
VividPixel use 50 for web and apps if you want. I don't use it but you might like it.
The rest never touch them.

To play games without FreeSync create an Nvidia profile and set Monitor Technology to fixed refresh. Don't disable this in Global Configuration.
Thank you :mrgreen: