minimum FPS for 100hz/120hz lightboost above refresh rate!

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
blutr

minimum FPS for 100hz/120hz lightboost above refresh rate!

Post by blutr » 29 Oct 2019, 14:12

Hi, I play UT4 (arena fps) and find using toasty x lightboost improves my close combat as well as some other situations. The fps online has been set to max 150 for a long time and I read somewhere its better to have fps=refresh rate, when the game demands it I use either 100 or 120, and sometime 144 hz without lightboost for certain situations.

Because the input lag increases the lower your fps is in this game, I now have a problem using lightboost on some servers as they increased the fps cap on one of them to 200. I read somewhere a long time ago there were specific recommendations for how much more fps you need to have for lightboost to run well above the refresh rate, but I just cant find it anywhere after an hour or so searching this site and some links from it. iirc you need something above 200+ fps for 100 hz and 300+ fps for 120 hz.

I at least tried to play on another server that recently tried to increase fps cap to 500, where my pc had troubles with 500 fps stable even under minimal pc load, but the game ran more smoothly than ever on 120hz 10% strobing brightness and I felt like I was hitting everything.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: minimum FPS for 100hz/120hz lightboost above refresh rat

Post by RealNC » 07 Nov 2019, 08:45

Without vsync, the higher the better.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

blutr

Re: minimum FPS for 100hz/120hz lightboost above refresh rate!

Post by blutr » 28 Nov 2019, 18:23

I thought I read somewhere, you need to have it pegged on the same frame rate as refresh rate or at least have it double the refresh rate?

I sometimes feel like 120 fps at 120 hz is better than say 150 fps at 120 hz? Am I just delusional and should always cap frame rate on max (which in my game often is 150)?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: minimum FPS for 100hz/120hz lightboost above refresh rate!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 19:31

Here you go:

(1) Newer technologies have much better quality and lower latency "LightBoost-equivalent" modes. LightBoost is one of the oldest. There are better modes nowadays, see Motion Blur Reduction FAQ. For example, the ViewSonic XG270, which I, of Blur Busters, have factory-tuned the monitor's PureXP strobe mode for ViewSonic

(2) Now, that said, aiming accuracy does greatly improve with strobe backlights when you synchronize framerate=Hz. It reduces latency variability dramatically. Unlike a very jittery input lag that varies a lot, you get a glassfloor input lag when the frame rate is synchronized to refresh rate. Sometimes a higher-lag but glassfloor-lag is superior for aiming. That's what happening; it's possible to have better aiming with more lag, just simply because the lag is now predictable.

(3) You may need to upgrade to a monitor that reliably strobes at the frame rate the game server is doing. 180fps to 200fps strobing is a little more strobe-crosstalky (double images from LCD GtG pixel response limitations), but some monitors such as ViewSonic XG270 and BenQ XL2540/2546/2740, will strobe at any custom refresh rates anywhere between 75Hz and 240Hz, unlike LightBoost being limited to 100Hz or 120Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!