I feel like my g sync doesnt work properly

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Martinengo

I feel like my g sync doesnt work properly

Post by Martinengo » 13 Nov 2019, 13:00

I'm having some issues with g sync, or maybe these things are normal and I dont know much about the topic.

First of all, I've noticed that even if I disable windowed g sync, it doesnt work (I'm not sure if restarting is necessary to accomplish this, I have tried disabling g sync completely, and re enabling it with just full screen).

Also, I can't get g sync to work in a lot of games/app, and I'm not sure if this is normal. The way I test if g sync is working, if its the counter of my monitor (pg279qz), changes its refresh based on the frame rate of the game, but many games just mantain the 165 static number, meaning its working as a fixed refresh (Brawlhalla is an example, Blasphemous is another example). I've made sure to enable g sync in nvidia control panel, even for those specific games, and I've tried disabling full screen optimizations, but still doesnt work.

Is this normal behaviour?

Thank you

jorimt

Re: I feel like my g sync doesnt work properly

Post by jorimt » 13 Nov 2019, 13:15

It's normal behavior if your framerate is exceeding your refresh rate, and you're not using an FPS limiter to keep the framerate within the working G-SYNC range, and/or the game is in borderless/windowed mode, and G-SYNC is only activated for fullscreen mode in the NVCP.

Though I will note that Brawlhalla is locked to 60 FPS by the game at default, so, if everything is properly configured, your monitor's refresh rate meter should be showing "60" with G-SYNC enabled.

Start by looking at the Optimal G-SYNC settings here:
https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync ... ttings/14/

If you're still experiencing this issue after following the above recommendations, feel free to follow-up here.

EDIT: I just checked (I also own it), and Brawlhalla's "Fullscreen" mode is actually borderless windowed. For games like this, along with the aforementioned optimal G-SYNC settings, refer to the recommendations for borderless/windowed games below (from entry #5 of my Closing FAQ):
Your “Optimal G-SYNC Settings” say I should only “Enable [G-SYNC] for full screen mode” in the NVCP, but what about for games that don’t offer an exclusive fullscreen option?

My Optimal G-SYNC Settings are just that: optimal.

Thus, while G-SYNC (and any game with any syncing solution, for that matter) typically performs best in exclusive fullscreen, it is true that not all games support this mode, so use of G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode” is necessary for games that only offer a borderless or windowed option.

Do note, however, that G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and full screen mode” can apply to non-game apps as well, which will result in stutter and slowdown when affected app windows are dragged and/or focused on due to unintended VRR (variable refresh rate) behavior.

As such, it is recommended to keep G-SYNC set to “Enable for full screen mode” globally, and then to use Nvidia Profile Inspector (download here) to set both “G-SYNC – Application Mode” and “G-SYNC – Global Mode” to “Fullscreen and Windowed” per game profile, as needed:

(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Martinengo

Post by Martinengo » 13 Nov 2019, 15:24

jorimt wrote:It's normal behavior if your framerate is exceeding your refresh rate, and you're not using an FPS limiter to keep the framerate within the working G-SYNC range, and/or the game is in borderless/windowed mode, and G-SYNC is only activated for fullscreen mode in the NVCP.

Though I will note that Brawlhalla is locked to 60 FPS by the game at default, so, if everything is properly configured, your monitor's refresh rate meter should be showing "60" with G-SYNC enabled.

Start by looking at the Optimal G-SYNC settings here:

If you're still experiencing this issue after following the above recommendations, feel free to follow-up here.

EDIT: I just checked (I also own it), and Brawlhalla's "Fullscreen" mode is actually borderless windowed. For games like this, along with the aforementioned optimal G-SYNC settings, refer to the recommendations for borderless/windowed games below (from entry #5 of my Closing FAQ):
Your “Optimal G-SYNC Settings” say I should only “Enable [G-SYNC] for full screen mode” in the NVCP, but what about for games that don’t offer an exclusive fullscreen option?

My Optimal G-SYNC Settings are just that: optimal.

Thus, while G-SYNC (and any game with any syncing solution, for that matter) typically performs best in exclusive fullscreen, it is true that not all games support this mode, so use of G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode” is necessary for games that only offer a borderless or windowed option.

Do note, however, that G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and full screen mode” can apply to non-game apps as well, which will result in stutter and slowdown when affected app windows are dragged and/or focused on due to unintended VRR (variable refresh rate) behavior.

As such, it is recommended to keep G-SYNC set to “Enable for full screen mode” globally, and then to use Nvidia Profile Inspector (download here) to set both “G-SYNC – Application Mode” and “G-SYNC – Global Mode” to “Fullscreen and Windowed” per game profile, as needed:

Wow, that really worked, thank you!

By the way, I'm reinstalling again, but at some point I had a problem with Sekiro, and not sure if you could have an idea of what cause it.

I installed a mod that allows to uncap fps, and it would worked in windowed and fixed refresh (100-165 fps), but g sync limited the refresh rate to 60. I remember at first it didnt happen and it worked with g sync, but suddenly it didnt.

By the way, should I disable fullscreen optimizations and games like brawlhalla, rocket league, fortnite, etc?, and what about low latency mode?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Nov 2019, 15:52

Martinengo wrote:By the way, I'm reinstalling again, but at some point I had a problem with Sekiro, and not sure if you could have an idea of what cause it.

I installed a mod that allows to uncap fps, and it would worked in windowed and fixed refresh (100-165 fps), but g sync limited the refresh rate to 60. I remember at first it didnt happen and it worked with g sync, but suddenly it didnt.
Sekiro locks the max physical refresh rate to 60Hz with G-SYNC and fullscreen optimizations enabled for some reason. Try disabling fullscreen optimizations for the game exe.
Martinengo wrote:By the way, should I disable fullscreen optimizations and games like brawlhalla, rocket league, fortnite, etc?, and what about low latency mode?
While fullscreen optimizations sometimes causes strange (often refresh rate related) quirks in some games (like Sekiro), it typically doesn't have a performance or input lag impact vs. it being disabled, and it almost never has an effect on borderless/windowed games, only exclusive fullscreen. It's usually safe to leave it enabled (and it's worth noting that some legacy DX9 games may require it to be enabled for G-SYNC to function), unless you notice any strange behavior that doesn't occur with it disabled.

As for "Low Latency Mode," I recently added a section for it to my Optimal G-SYNC Settings:

You can also refer to this recent post regarding Low Latency Mode when used with G-SYNC:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5903&p=44825#p44825

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Martinengo

Post by Martinengo » 13 Nov 2019, 16:30

Ok thank you! I still have one doubt, for Brawlhalla, since it is capped at 60 fps, would still be more benefitial to enable v sync?

By the way, this is kind of off topic, but, have you ever heard of "heavy car bug" in Rocket League?, since you are an expert in these kind of things, I wonder if you have an opinion. I wont assume is not mental (i dont think it is though), and to me is not only Rocket League, but I experience big inconsistencies in how smooth a game looks and feels. One day Rocket League feels like butter, and I can di everything my mind is thinking, and the next day I struggle to challenge every ball, control my car. The menu looks choppy, even my computer, generally browsing, feels off, not super smooth, regardless of the refresh being at 165.

Anyways, if it is too much of an off topic, I might make a thread later, I wonder what some people think here. You can look it up on google, even for Brawlhalla or fifa.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Nov 2019, 17:06

Martinengo wrote:for Brawlhalla, since it is capped at 60 fps, would still be more benefitial to enable v sync?
There's no input lag benefit in disabling V-SYNC with G-SYNC in that scenario, if that's what you're getting at, and if there were, the "benefit" would be tearing (the only way you're going to get any lower input lag than G-SYNC is tearing, and the effective input lag difference between the two is virtually nothing at the same framerate within the G-SYNC range).
Martinengo wrote:By the way, this is kind of off topic, but, have you ever heard of "heavy car bug" in Rocket League?
I haven't, and I haven't played Rocket League myself, but since Rocket League is primarily played online, while it may or may not apply to your situation, some of that sounds like netcode issues to me; depending on your connection, other players' connections, the server/server load, server tick (update) rate, time of day (etc), the feeling in overall responsiveness can vary, and is separate of your local configuration and system's framerate/monitor's refresh rate.

Here's a couple videos on Rocket League netcode for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unzRzLKg7Mc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c373LsgiXBc