Random screen flashing gsync compatibility LG C9

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
tygeezy

Random screen flashing gsync compatibility LG C9

Post by tygeezy » 28 Nov 2019, 13:59

Hey guys, I got a lg c9 a couple of weeks ago. I’ve noticed that when I’m playing any games I get these random screen flashes or flickers. It can take a minute to happen or happen once every 10-15 minutes, but it’s extremely annoying. Does anybody have a clue what could be going on? I’m using a GeForce 2070 super with Windows 10 and a 7700k. It’s been happening on the last two game ready drivers, which are the only drivers I’ve used with this display. Here’s a video I was able to capture of it.

phpBB [video]

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Random screen flashing gsync compatibility LG C9

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 15:01

Hmmm.

Troubleshooting
Have you upgraded to the latest LG c9 firmware and latest NVIDIA drivers?
Or it only started to happen with the latest drivers?

Technical Explanation
For background knowledge;
I've seen VRR flashing happen with driver bugs or display bugs which causes:
(1) Refresh rate range to be exceeded (refresh interval beyond spec); or
(2) Buggy LFC (refresh-repeat creates a refresh interval outside VRR range spec); or
(3) Incorrect EDID/DisplayID timings or incorrect processing of (creating refresh interval beyond spec); or
(4) VRR slewrate beyond spec (frametime suddenly varies, like from top-of-VRR-range suddenly to bottom-of-VRR-range). This should not happen as there's no slewrate restriction but I've occasionally seen bugs from excess refresh rate slewrate (rapid change in Hz).
(5) Other VRR issues;

Or a combination of the above.
You could also see if there are settings that modifies LFC operation.
Adding an RTSS frame rate cap might help solve top-end-of-VRR-range spec issues, though not always.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 28 Nov 2019, 15:28

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 15:01
Hmmm.

Troubleshooting
Have you upgraded to the latest LG c9 firmware and latest NVIDIA drivers?
Or it only started to happen with the latest drivers?

Technical Explanation
For background knowledge;
I've seen VRR flashing happen with driver bugs or display bugs which causes:
(1) Refresh rate range to be exceeded (refresh interval beyond spec); or
(2) Buggy LFC (refresh-repeat creates a refresh interval outside VRR range spec); or
(3) Incorrect EDID/DisplayID timings or incorrect processing of (creating refresh interval beyond spec); or
(4) VRR slewrate beyond spec (frametime suddenly varies, like from top-of-VRR-range suddenly to bottom-of-VRR-range). This should not happen as there's no slewrate restriction but I've occasionally seen bugs from excess refresh rate slewrate (rapid change in Hz).
(5) Other VRR issues;

Or a combination of the above.
You could also see if there are settings that modifies LFC operation.
Adding an RTSS frame rate cap might help solve top-end-of-VRR-range spec issues, though not always.
I’m on the latest firmware for my television. I e only used two drivers with this tv and this flashing happens on both.

According to lg this tv currently doesn’t support lfc. Here is a link to a discussion about it:

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/c ... ment_15425

Things I’ve tried. Using different hdmi cables, disabling GeForce experience overlay.

I’m using maximum power in Nvidia control panel. I’m going to try setting it to default which I think is performance.

Also, Windows thinks I have two displays because I’m running a hdmi cable from my onboard intel gpu to my receiver so that I can get uncompressed 5.1 audio.

Earc on the tv currently will only send stereo pcm, but I’ll try unplugging the other hdmi cable so that I’m not getting a clone display to see if that will also fix it.

Also, I am using rtss to cap below refresh rate in this game. If a game has a in game capper I use that instead.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 30 Nov 2019, 01:33

Okay, so I unplugged the hdmi cable going to my receiver and I’m now just using earc and the Dolby atmos app for the surround audio.

It seems to have helped, but now I just get it much less frequently. I believe it’s corresponding with a stutter.

I’m not the only person with this yo yo experience this. A few people on avs forum are also reporting this issue.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Dec 2019, 02:44

If it corresponds with a stutter, that could mean the driver is not disengaging VRR mode when the frame time gets too high, and as a result the pixels undergo a "whiteout" due to not getting refreshed in time. So it could be a driver issue.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 01 Dec 2019, 14:00

RealNC wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 02:44
If it corresponds with a stutter, that could mean the driver is not disengaging VRR mode when the frame time gets too high, and as a result the pixels undergo a "whiteout" due to not getting refreshed in time. So it could be a driver issue.
Yeah, I’m not sure if I t does or not. I’m not feeling a stutter when it happens. Is it possible I also have a faulty tv? I have coil whine coming from my tv as well.. I’m not the only person that has reported this issue with the flashing, but some people claim they don’t get it either.

On loading screens I will get a pulsing screen as well. I have an old gsync monitor that does that as well though, but it has zero issues in actual gameplay.
https://youtu.be/AbWbtsBuBJU

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 02 Dec 2019, 16:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:
01 Dec 2019, 02:44

So i'm not the only person with this issue. Now, im not sure how widespread this is. Other people with c9's say they don't have an issue. Could it possibly be an issue with the panel itself? The uniformity on my panel is very good and i'm afraid of exchanging this for another c9, not fixing the flashing and then getting a panel with a lot of vertical banding and or horrible tinting.

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/8 ... -c9#latest
https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... ith_gsync/

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Dec 2019, 08:46

Your guess is as good as mine :-/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 03 Dec 2019, 14:58

RealNC wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 08:46
Your guess is as good as mine :-/
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
I could have a tcon board failure... Check out this video from linus. The relevant info starts at 2:20, but the entire thing is worth a watch. LG is sending out a tech tomorrow that i've already briefed on the situation.

phpBB [video]

tygeezy

Post by tygeezy » 04 Dec 2019, 02:46

Deleted.
Last edited by tygeezy on 07 Jan 2020, 19:15, edited 1 time in total.