Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
witega

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by witega » 29 Nov 2019, 02:19

So if 120hz is the recommended refresh rate for strobing, what is the input lag? G-Sync compatible?

Chief, would this be an upgrade going from an LG TN panel 240hz for competitive CSGO? I play at 240hz but would I be fine dialing that down to 120hz with the ViewSonic?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Nov 2019, 05:13

witega wrote:
29 Nov 2019, 02:19
So if 120hz is the recommended refresh rate for strobing, what is the input lag? G-Sync compatible?

Chief, would this be an upgrade going from an LG TN panel 240hz for competitive CSGO? I play at 240hz but would I be fine dialing that down to 120hz with the ViewSonic?
You can stay at 240 Hz strobed if you want lower-lag strobed with more strobe crosstalk. No 240 Hz panel (TN or IPS or otherwise) are currently capable of low-crosstalk strobing at 240 Hz.

If your priority is getting closest to the zero-blur CRT experience, with less strobe crosstalk, or want to play recreationally (best image quality) -- you definitely want to lower your Hz to get the better strobe quality. Hertzroom is your friend for good CRT-quality strobing.

With all strobe backlights, you do increase lag with lower-Hz strobing, but the lag variability (frametimes) becomes glassfloor-consistent once you sync fps to Hz using one of the many "low latency VSYNC ON equivalents" available. It is a personal preference how you prefer to play. There is always a very slight amount of extra latency (half a refresh cycle more latency) with strobe backlights, but it is far less lag than LightBoost was. And, if you sync the frame rate, the latency is way more 'consistent' (less variable) and you eliminate the amplified microstuttering found with all strobe backlight modes. You've seen reports of improved kills with synchronized framerate operation.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

witega

Post by witega » 29 Nov 2019, 08:02

Thank you so much Chief for the reply!

I just purchased from the Amazon link, so I hope Blur Busters gets comission!

Do you have any recommendations on what the best settings I should use via montor menu? Like contrast, brightness, color etc?

I used to own a Sony FW900 and I miss its motion clarity so to read a comparision to that is awesome!

How can I set up the ViewSonic at 120hz to get it to match the FW900?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Nov 2019, 15:22

Thanks for your support!

For best image quality results
- Switch to 100 Hz or 120 Hz or 144 Hz
- Turn FreeSync off (can't use strobe mode in FreeSync)
- Turn PureXP+ on
- Use VSYNC ON

For lowest lag strobing (worse quality)
- Use highest Hz you can tolerate crosstalk with
- Use VSYNC OFF
- 180Hz to 230Hz is a good compromise via Custom Resoluion
(much less crosstalk than 240 Hz, though much more than 120Hz).

To milk the precision of blur reduction (fix strobe-amplified microstuttering):
- Choose a refresh rate that your game can consistently run at. framerate = refreshate
- Use a recent 1000Hz mouse, set to relatively high dpi (1600dpi+), with lowered in-game sensitivity to compensate.
- Recommended: One of the many low-latency "VSYNC ON" techniques (to fix microstuttering)
- Then your enjoyment can go up (because of the way motion on strobe backlights become 'TestUFO-perfect' with VSYNC ON)
- If you prefer to stick to VSYNC OFF, use overkill framerate (e.g. 300fps+) to compensate.

Everybody is different, and every game is different, but your hit scores may improve with a perfect fps=Hz sync despite extremely slightly increased strobe lag (if you keep lag under proper control), because of glassfloor-consistent lag (non-varying lag). You're trading lowest-lag (but volatile) for a smidgen higher lag (but perfectly consistent), if you decide to optimize for precision and smoothness.

Be noted that current firmware has PureXP brightness is darker than the current firmware. For improved brightness, don't forget to download the new firmware when it comes out. One of the few brands of user-upgradeable firmware monitors, the firmwares is easy-install via monitor's USB port with no dongle needed. First of all, I need to mention that the next firmware (My unit already has it installed, and ViewSonic should be able to release the new firmware early 2020) adds strobe-length adjustment options to PureXP+ to allow it to get up to 2.5x to 4x brighter, in a clarity-versus-brightness tradeoff.

First firmware -- PureXP+ has ON/OFF only
New firmware -- PureXP+ has Light/Normal/Extreme/Ultra/OFF

This is the equivalent of "Pulse Width" / "Strobe Length" adjustments found in some other monitors.

Strongly Recommended with strobe backlights: Use a low-latency VSYNC ON technique (current simplest is VSYNC ON + NULL, or use Fast Sync + NULL + framerate cap, or use RTSS Scanline Sync). This fixes the increased microstuttering trait of strobe backlights (it also happens on CRT but is particularly more visible with LCDs due to the LCD resolution crispness). The lack of motion blur makes stutters easier to see, which is why you have to upgrade your stutter-elimination technique to score well with strobe backlights.

Many games will benefit more from 240 Hz non-strobed, while other games benefit more from 120 Hz or 144 Hz PureXP (fps=Hz). It all depends on the types of the motion the game has, and how often your eyes tracking on moving objects benefits from the motion blur reduction. Stationary-gaze at crosshairs means strobe backlights won't benefit as much, while tracking eyes on objects during turning makes a big difference with strobe backlights. The same effect is observed for CRT.

You will see me rewriting some strobe HOWTOs between now and Christmas, because there are new tips and tricks. So some of my forum postings will become FAQs on the main site in the coming weeks.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

writer21

Post by writer21 » 30 Nov 2019, 12:52

Do you know how soon a 24 inch version will be coming out for this monitor and will it use the same PureXp?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Dec 2019, 10:11

writer21 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 12:52
Do you know how soon a 24 inch version will be coming out for this monitor and will it use the same PureXp?
No date set yet for release of 24" 240Hz 1ms panels.

But given how good they are, I think the manufacturers have heard loud and clear about them.

nib

Post by nib » 02 Dec 2019, 10:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 20:30
ViewSonic had me factory-optimize the ClearXP+ strobe backlight mode on this monitor.
Thins pre-calibration is a firmware thing and thus can be applied to any XG270 worldwide, am I right?

writer21

Post by writer21 » 02 Dec 2019, 12:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 10:11
writer21 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 12:52
No date set yet for release of 24" 240Hz 1ms panels.

But given how good they are, I think the manufacturers have heard loud and clear about them.
Thanks for your response.
I have one more question. I understand if you're not allowed to answer but are you working on purexp for 24 inch versions as well? I've ordered the 24g2 and just ordered the vg259q because I'm tired of waiting for 24 inch versions. But if you confirm I might have to wait alittle longer because strobing tech on other ips monitors were very poor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Dec 2019, 13:19

nib wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 10:13
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2019, 20:30
ViewSonic had me factory-optimize the ClearXP+ strobe backlight mode on this monitor.
Thins pre-calibration is a firmware thing and thus can be applied to any XG270 worldwide, am I right?
It's factory pre-calibrated and installed into the firmware.

The XG270 is user easy firmware upgradeable via the monitor's USB port. Plug and play upgrading. No proprietary MSTAR dongle needed.

A firmware upgrade will be coming out in the near future (by CES 2020) that safely improves the brightness options of the blur reduction (up to 2.5x - 4x brighter).

I'm VERY PLEASED that ViewSonic made the decision to make their XG270 user-firmware-upgradeable. The new Blur Busters Approved initiative encourages firmware upgradeability, and it's a strong goal of Blur Busters to convince manufacturers to release more upgradeable monitors.

Monitor development is getting complex. FreeSync. G-SYNC. Overdrive. Blur reduction. Latency Reducing features. Complex menus. Etc. Bugs happen. Features sometimes fail. Frameskipping. Unadjustable Overdrive. Latency bugs. Crosstalky. Warranty claims. RMA. Sometimes just for a simple one-line firmware bug sometimes.

It's a shame many manufacturers don't let their users firmware-upgrade their monitors. Kudos to manufacturers that has made the decision to follow Blur Busters recommendation of firmware upgradeability.

By CES 2020, we will be publishing our Blur Busters Approved program criteria in the near future so everyone understands what made ViewSonic XG270 the world's first Blur Busters Certified monitor, but yes, we've made "user firmware upgradeable" one of the criteria for the Blur Busters seal of approval.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Dec 2019, 13:26

writer21 wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 12:41
Thanks for your response.
I have one more question. I understand if you're not allowed to answer but are you working on purexp for 24 inch versions as well? I've ordered the 24g2 and just ordered the vg259q because I'm tired of waiting for 24 inch versions. But if you confirm I might have to wait alittle longer because strobing tech on other ips monitors were very poor.
Currently, I'm still waiting to hear if there's any plans on 24 inch. I'm part of the waiting game, as well.

Alas, I have no date either. And I don't even have a secret release date under NDA or press embargo, so there you go. Make your buying decision accordingly...

I know 24 inch is popular and all the manufacturers know players are demanding 24 inch options too! It's just that 27 inch ultrafast IPS arrived first.