How to make sure games use my custom res.?

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
avrion

How to make sure games use my custom res.?

Post by avrion » 02 Dec 2019, 13:11

Hi,

just got the XL2735 and set up a custom res @120hz with VT tweaks and now I'm wondering how I can confirm that games actually use the custom res. and not the default one?
In all games I checked I can only see 1440p@120hz once, so I'm wondering, does the custom res. overwrite the default?

thx

Q83Ia7ta

Re: How to make sure games use my custom res.?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 02 Dec 2019, 17:53

By OSD (on screen display menu) of monitor. Just press menu button and find information about current resolution and refresh rate. It's in System - Information sections if I recall correctly.

avrion

Post by avrion » 03 Dec 2019, 11:51

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 17:53
By OSD (on screen display menu) of monitor. Just press menu button and find information about current resolution and refresh rate. It's in System - Information sections if I recall correctly.
Yeah true, but how do I know if that's the custom resolution i've created or the default one?
It only shows 1440p@120hz nothing more.
Since all I did was tweak the VT, I don't know how to verify that games use it.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Dec 2019, 14:02

avrion wrote:
03 Dec 2019, 11:51
Yeah true, but how do I know if that's the custom resolution i've created or the default one?
It only shows 1440p@120hz nothing more.
Since all I did was tweak the VT, I don't know how to verify that games use it.
When you change VT, you should edit the current mode in CRU, not add a new one. So there should only be one 1440p@120Hz mode.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 04 Dec 2019, 18:20

avrion wrote:
02 Dec 2019, 13:11
Hi,

just got the XL2735 and set up a custom res @120hz with VT tweaks and now I'm wondering how I can confirm that games actually use the custom res. and not the default one?
In all games I checked I can only see 1440p@120hz once, so I'm wondering, does the custom res. overwrite the default?

thx
I don't own this monitor so I have no idea what resolutions and refresh rates exist in the EDID.

But in most cases, you should go to the "Extension block" in CRU and delete all the resolutions there, except the 60hz native resolution refresh rate and the 120hz one you want to edit. E.g. 2560x1440@60hz. That one should always be present.

Then for your VT tweak, set up 2560x1440 with your custom VT. If at all possible, test the VT in either Nvidia or AMD Relive advanced timing settings to make sure you don't get an out of range error.

BTW does your XL2735 "single frame strobe" at 60hz with blur reduction enabled? I know the original firmwares did not.

You can check for that in UFO Alien invasion by just seeing if the UFO's look 'double imaged' at 60hz or not, when DyAc is enabled.
Double image= double strobing. If the screen is flickering noticeably, then it's single strobing for sure.

The lack of 'single strobe' at 60hz is why I still have not upgraded from the old XL2720Z yet.

avrion

Post by avrion » 06 Dec 2019, 12:40

Hi,

thanks for all the replies, here a few things.
So i just noticed that when i create a custom resolution in nvidia CP it will delete the 120hz entry from the default 1440p and move to the custom 1440p.
So now the default only has 144hz, 100hz and 60hz to select from the and new 1440p only has 120hz to select.
So i guess it does sort of overwrite the default?
One more question, should i put in exactly 120Hz or something like 119.xxHz ?

@Falkentyne
I'm not sure if it double strobes, I can tell it flickers, but I can also see double aliens at the very top but not the entire screen, I can see a little regular overdrive ghosting as well ...
Monitor is second hand and was produced in 2017, so pretty sure it doesn't have some sort of a firmware update for double strobing.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 09 Dec 2019, 17:00

avrion wrote:
06 Dec 2019, 12:40
Hi,

So i just noticed that when i create a custom resolution in nvidia CP it will delete the 120hz entry from the default 1440p and move to the custom 1440p.
So now the default only has 144hz, 100hz and 60hz to select from the and new 1440p only has 120hz to select.

@Falkentyne
I'm not sure if it double strobes, I can tell it flickers, but I can also see double aliens at the very top but not the entire screen, I can see a little regular overdrive ghosting as well ...
Monitor is second hand and was produced in 2017, so pretty sure it doesn't have some sort of a firmware update for double strobing.
Is the center of the screen extremely smooth (like, perfectly clear image) with no image blurring or "double image" at 60hz refresh rate?
(Did you confirm via the monitor OSD that it is reporting 60hz?)
A double strobe means that at 60hz (16.7ms per frame), the monitor will strobe TWICE --meaning two 8.3ms strobes will happen during the 16.7ms refresh interval. That's what gives you a 'double' image. That's 'because a 16.7ms strobe creates a very noticeable flicker. An 8.3ms strobe is twice as fast--thus no flicker.

You mentioned flicker. How bad was it? 60hz flicker (single strobe) should be extremely obvious and annoying to some people.
If it were double strobing, if you set the refresh rate to 120hz, the 'flicker' should be 100% identical to 60hz (this is proof of double strobing). Looking at the screen visibility for flicker and switching between 60hz and 120hz and also smoothness of the UFO's in the middle should tell you if it's double strobing or single strobe (lots of flicker).

If the 60hz flicker is twice as intense and noticeable compared to 120hz, then it's most likely single strobing for sure.
Another good test to look for 'double' strobing at 60hz is to look VERY carefully at the edges of the UFO's at the middle of the screen.
If it's double strobing, you will see two 'left' and two 'right' edges, that look like two frames right next to each other. If you see this, it's double strobing. (combine this 'look' with how much the entire screen is flickering at 60hz vs 120hz).

If it's clearly only one 'left' and one 'right' edge of the UFO, without any double images on either side, it's single strobing.

I just want to make sure before I toss $500 on a monitor...

avrion

Post by avrion » 13 Dec 2019, 12:09

Falkentyne wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 17:00
avrion wrote:
Hi,

@Falkentyne
Is the center of the screen extremely smooth (like, perfectly clear image) with no image blurring or "double image" at 60hz refresh rate?
A double strobe means that at 60hz (16.7ms per frame), the monitor will strobe TWICE --meaning two 8.3ms strobes will happen during the 16.7ms refresh interval. That's what gives you a 'double' image. That's 'because a 16.7ms strobe creates a very noticeable flicker. An 8.3ms strobe is twice as fast--thus no flicker.

You mentioned flicker. How bad was it? 60hz flicker (single strobe) should be extremely obvious and annoying to some people.
If it were double strobing, if you set the refresh rate to 120hz, the 'flicker' should be 100% identical to 60hz (this is proof of double strobing). Looking at the screen visibility for flicker and switching between 60hz and 120hz and also smoothness of the UFO's in the middle should tell you if it's double strobing or single strobe (lots of flicker).

If the 60hz flicker is twice as intense and noticeable compared to 120hz, then it's most likely single strobing for sure.
Another good test to look for 'double' strobing at 60hz is to look VERY carefully at the edges of the UFO's at the middle of the screen.
If it's double strobing, you will see two 'left' and two 'right' edges, that look like two frames right next to each other. If you see this, it's double strobing. (combine this 'look' with how much the entire screen is flickering at 60hz vs 120hz).

If it's clearly only one 'left' and one 'right' edge of the UFO, without any double images on either side, it's single strobing.

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm sure its not double strobing.
Flicker is noticeable, like a 60hz CRT.
But the middle is relatively clear, not like 120hz, but still clear ... its pretty bad at the top (or bottom if you shift it with the Strobe utility)

So you can save your money if you absolutely need double strobing.

May I ask why though? Why not just run at 120hz/strobed?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Dec 2019, 19:50

avrion wrote:
13 Dec 2019, 12:09
Falkentyne wrote:
09 Dec 2019, 17:00
avrion wrote:
Hi,

@Falkentyne

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm sure its not double strobing.
Flicker is noticeable, like a 60hz CRT.
But the middle is relatively clear, not like 120hz, but still clear ... its pretty bad at the top (or bottom if you shift it with the Strobe utility)

So you can save your money if you absolutely need double strobing.

May I ask why though? Why not just run at 120hz/strobed?
Nono, I need single strobing (the 60hz flicker), not double strobing. Double strobing is completely awful!

You can't run 120hz strobed on 60hz locked games that force the refresh rate to 60hz. See?
I know when the XL2740 first came out (as well as the XL2735, XL2540, XL2546, etc), it did NOT single strobe at 60hz. Someone did a testUFO test with blur reduction (Dyac) enabled and saw a "double UFO" image when blur reduction was enabled, throughout the screen (was not clear in the middle, and there was no flicker).

I just wanted to check and make sure that it's actually single strobing now, unlike before. Benq is unresponsive and no one knows how to update firmware on these monitors anymore.