Freesync vs Gsync 240hz competitive gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
soulhunter0504

Freesync vs Gsync 240hz competitive gaming

Post by soulhunter0504 » 04 Dec 2019, 17:37

Hello, I just recently ordered a 2518hf and have been regretting my decision after reading through the forums and other websites. I have heard at high frames and when fps drops Gsync handles the picture way better than freesync can with variable overdrive and its physical module inside the monitor. This is especially true with ghosting, I will be playing a game where fps will dip from 100-240 fps. Is this true and should I go through the hassle of returning my monitor for the gsync version?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Freesync vs Gsync 240hz competitive gaming

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2019, 17:48

soulhunter0504 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:37
Hello, I just recently ordered a 2518hf and have been regretting my decision after reading through the forums and other websites. I have heard at high frames and when fps drops Gsync handles the picture way better than freesync can with variable overdrive and its physical module inside the monitor. This is especially true with ghosting, I will be playing a game where fps will dip from 100-240 fps. Is this true and should I go through the hassle of returning my monitor for the gsync version?
Depends on how picky you are about ghosting/coronas. If you have been bothered by that in other monitors, then you should definitely pony-up for the G-SYNC premium. It pays for the extra improvements in variable overdrive.

That said, some FreeSync displays are very good. The FreeSync 2 monitors have variable overdrive built-in. Also, the G-SYNC Compatible certified displays (some of which may also be FreeSync certified too) tend to have less obnoxious variable-ghosting behaviours.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

soulhunter0504

Post by soulhunter0504 » 04 Dec 2019, 18:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:48
soulhunter0504 wrote:
04 Dec 2019, 17:37
Depends on how picky you are about ghosting/coronas. If you have been bothered by that in other monitors, then you should definitely pony-up for the G-SYNC premium. It pays for the extra improvements in variable overdrive.

That said, some FreeSync displays are very good. The FreeSync 2 monitors have variable overdrive built-in. Also, the G-SYNC Compatible certified displays (some of which may also be FreeSync certified too) tend to have less obnoxious variable-ghosting behaviours.
How would you say the 2518hf handles freesync/gsync and ghosting? Would a fps that shifts constantly be a big factor too that increases ghosting?

I currently own a xl2411z 144hz and never really noticed ghosting while gaming but when I use the ghosting test and follow the ship with my eyes I can see a clear white corona from the ship and legs, with a blue corona from the alien.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Dec 2019, 18:10

I’ll let others chime in here.

Compared to XL2411Z? Not sure — I have not seen both side by side.
Compared to other 240Hz FreeSync/G-SYNC monitors? Depends on the model.
Compared to AW2518H? (G-SYNC). Definitely the AW2518H, that has lots less ghosting than AW2518HF.

Do you ever use motion blur reduction on XL2411Z? The AW2518HF does not have a blur reduction mode, while the AW2518H does. They come in brand names such as ULMB, PureXP, DyAc, ELMB, etc. (Disclaimer: I tuned PureXP for ViewSonic).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!