ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Series!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: ANNOUNCED: Blur Busters Strobe Utility -- for BENQ Z-Ser

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Mar 2014, 13:49

Rennkuckuck wrote:@Chief Blur Buster
What would be your recommended settings for the blurbusters strobe utility to have the sweet spot for emilinating the double images in the lower screen trird?
Check out this thread for settings: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=452
Feel free to add your own different, custom settings (for different specific refresh rates, with or without the VT1350 trick!)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

xwgpx55

Post by xwgpx55 » 02 Apr 2014, 08:02

Hey - not too sure where to post this but I figured I might give here a shot.

Recently got my 24" BenQ Z-series monitor. It's my first 144Hz monitor (moved up from a 60hz Asus). I DEFINITELY notice a nice difference playing the game @ 144!

I added the utility, but I guess I still don't know how to use it to my advantage and would like to clear it up. I play a lot of Counter-Strike:GO and would like to optimize my new screen for the game. I'm very green when it comes to all of these settings and was wondering how I could best adjust the monitor settings/strobe utility settings for an optimized gameplay experience. I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction (even with the Blur Buster's tool jacked up all the way for max brightness)

Any suggestions for this game?

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 02 Apr 2014, 08:16

xwgpx55 wrote:I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction
The gamma setting is the first thing you should change in the monitor OSD. By default, it's set to "Gamma 1" (looks washed out, too bright, etc). I'm using "Gamma 5" and it looks good. You can also use the settings used in this review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

xwgpx55

Post by xwgpx55 » 02 Apr 2014, 08:26

masterotaku wrote:
xwgpx55 wrote:I currently think the game seems a bit washed out looking, and I feel like I have trouble seeing some things. I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction
The gamma setting is the first thing you should change in the monitor OSD. By default, it's set to "Gamma 1" (looks washed out, too bright, etc). I'm using "Gamma 5" and it looks good. You can also use the settings used in this review: http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/benq-xl2420z
Wow there's a tremendous amount of info on that link. I'll start with this. Thanks!

Rennkuckuck

Post by Rennkuckuck » 02 Apr 2014, 11:13

I upgraded my 27020Z to Firmware V002 but can not run the Blurbusters Strobe Utility.. instead I got the attached message followed by a red message "Error During Detecting Monitors!" DDC/CI is turned ON.
The BenQ service page lets me adjust strobe duty and phase. I tried different DVI port of my GTX670 but there is no difference - what else could have gone wrong?

Best regards
Rennkuckuck
Attachments
error.jpg
error.jpg (43.31 KiB) Viewed 8555 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 11:40

xwgpx55 wrote:I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction (even with the Blur Buster's tool jacked up all the way for max brightness)
You will get more brightness if you apply the Vertical Total 1350 tweak. The Utility actually uses longer strobe lengths when the VT1350 trick is done, which appears to approximately double the screen brightness.

To fix the gamma, adjust the "Gamma" setting via the monitor -- which will greatly improve this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 11:45

Rennkuckuck wrote:I upgraded my 27020Z to Firmware V002 but can not run the Blurbusters Strobe Utility.. instead I got the attached message followed by a red message "Error During Detecting Monitors!" DDC/CI is turned ON.
The BenQ service page lets me adjust strobe duty and phase. I tried different DVI port of my GTX670 but there is no difference - what else could have gone wrong?
This type of issue can be quite challenging to track down. Which graphics drivers are you using? Also, I have heard that sometimes a specific DVI cable causes problems, because it uses the DDC/CI wire of the cable, and if that wire is missing, it will become unable to control the monitor. Switching between DVI and DisplayPort can help, too. Also, versions of Windows can influence this. Trying a different computer can help (even a laptop) before switching back to the original computer for playing.

As a last resort, yes, the BENQ Service Menu will allow you to adjust the settings (but at greater difficulty and inconvenience). You will want to enable Single Strobe, then adjust Strobe Duty / Strobe Phase in lieu of Persistence / Crosstalk. You will have to readjust everytime you use a different refresh rate, though. Future Versions of Blur Busters software will likely provide enhanced features, such as separate memories/profiles for each different refresh rates.

Rennkuckuck

Post by Rennkuckuck » 02 Apr 2014, 12:42

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Rennkuckuck wrote:I upgraded my 27020Z to Firmware V002 but can not run the Blurbusters Strobe Utility.. instead I got the attached message followed by a red message "Error During Detecting Monitors!" DDC/CI is turned ON.
This type of issue can be quite challenging to track down. Which graphics drivers are you using? Also, I have heard that sometimes a specific DVI cable causes problems, because it uses the DDC/CI wire of the cable, and if that wire is missing, it will become unable to control the monitor. Switching between DVI and DisplayPort can help, too. Also, versions of Windows can influence this. Trying a different computer can help (even a laptop) before switching back to the original computer for playing.

As a last resort, yes, the BENQ Service Menu will allow you to adjust the settings (but at greater difficulty and inconvenience). You will want to enable Single Strobe, then adjust Strobe Duty / Strobe Phase in lieu of Persistence / Crosstalk. You will have to readjust everytime you use a different refresh rate, though. Future Versions of Blur Busters software will likely provide enhanced features, such as separate memories/profiles for each different refresh rates.
I use NVidias latest official driver 335.23 and use the DVI cable that came with the monitor. Also tried another DVI Dual Link cable - with the same result. I do not have a DP cable and my notebook does only have VGA and HDMI output.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 12:47

Rennkuckuck wrote:I use NVidias latest official driver 335.23 and use the DVI cable that came with the monitor. Also tried another DVI Dual Link cable - with the same result. I do not have a DP cable and my notebook does only have VGA and HDMI output.
Can you quickly double check if "DDC/CI" is turned on via your monitor?
Also, Strobe Utility may also work over VGA (which has a DDC line), however it will likely only work at lower refresh rates.
Failing this, continue using the Service Menu settings while viewing moving photos at www.testufo.com/photo in Height-> Full Screen. This will help you calibrate via the Service Menu. Strobe Duty will affect brightness, and Strobe Phase will adjust the vertical positioning of the ghosting zone, while doing the VT1350 trick will allow you to hide most of the ghosting zone in the blanking interval between refreshes.

xwgpx55

Post by xwgpx55 » 02 Apr 2014, 13:20

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
xwgpx55 wrote:I feel like it's a combination of the screen coloring and the lack of brightness due to the blur reduction (even with the Blur Buster's tool jacked up all the way for max brightness)
You will get more brightness if you apply the Vertical Total 1350 tweak. The Utility actually uses longer strobe lengths when the VT1350 trick is done, which appears to approximately double the screen brightness.

To fix the gamma, adjust the "Gamma" setting via the monitor -- which will greatly improve this.

I thought that 1350 tweak doesn't work if you run at 144hz?