Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
GammaLyrae

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by GammaLyrae » 13 Dec 2019, 17:56

I wish RTings / TFTcentral were tracking this monitor a little more closely. I can accept at face value that 120hz PureXP+ is good, but it'd be nice to know stuff like what the actual contrast ratio is (with and without backlight strobing), or what the overshoot / response times look like if it can't be hidden in a backlight strobing mode.

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 14 Dec 2019, 09:57

I'd like to clarify the comment that was made earlier about this replacing the FW900. The poster made it sound like he owned a FW900 and he got rid of it because he got this monitor, but if you read his review on Amazon (the updated version) he says he owned the FW900 5 years ago. 5 years is a long time, not to mention that side-by-side comparisons are important.

Personally I've learned to not give into hype for any reason until there's solid data presented from different sources, which is why I suggested this monitor for review at RTINGS (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/suggestions). Readers here will know that this technology (new calibrated IPS panels) is not the end of the road for display technology, there's still much progress to be made (https://www.blurbusters.com/blur-buster ... e-and-hold). CRT really was the pinnacle for gaming monitors, but that technology is now dead and that's a fact, and it will never come back. Glad I still have mine, though (in case I ever take it out the basement again... :lol:).

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 14 Dec 2019, 10:06

It would also be awesome if someone could donate this monitor to this guy:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=238
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ84gh ... gT33wm1f2g

I'm pretty sure that if someone gives it to him on the condition that he reviews it he will gladly do it, and his reviews are high quality.

witega

Post by witega » 14 Dec 2019, 11:39

LagBuster wrote:
14 Dec 2019, 09:57
I'd like to clarify the comment that was made earlier about this replacing the FW900. The poster made it sound like he owned a FW900 and he got rid of it because he got this monitor, but if you read his review on Amazon (the updated version) he says he owned the FW900 5 years ago. 5 years is a long time, not to mention that side-by-side comparisons are important.
No if you read further I said I do not miss having the FW900 on my desk with the XG270. I purchased the FW900 5 years ago but recently sold it, for a few reasons.

Every LCD panel I've ever owned for PC gaming has been inferior to where I am always longing for a CRT. Even a budget CRT I would prefer over a 4k LCD panel. Nothing can beat the glass. The FW900 is in a completely different class of CRT.

Is the FW900 a better monitor than the XG270? In some ways yes, in some ways no. But this is the first time I have owned an LCD panel that gives me the closet analog reproduction of a CRT, with CRT-like colors (except for the inky blacks) and none of that phosophor-glow-"smearing" of details at 1080p. I have always wanted a CRT-like panel with the sharpness of an LCD, and I get both with the XG270.

As I said in my review, purists will prefer the FW900, but if you are willing to compromise a little bit, it is the closest you'll get to it and also having the benefits of an LCD panel.

Trust me, I hate how quickly we adopted to LCD technology. The CRT was killed way too soon. I am a CRT lover at heart. Heck I just bought another Trinitron TV for my retro games recently. Any emulated box (like a Super NT or SNES Classic) still doesn't compare.

I also do not appreciate this attempt to undermine my own personal opinions on this monitor. I gave as much as an honest review as I could, while also giving the perspective of where I am coming from as a CRT enthusiast. You can make your own judgement on whether or not it has value.

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 14 Dec 2019, 12:31

Thanks for clarifying. It wasn't an attempt to undermine your opinion (it's not like opinions are factual anyway), it was more of a comment meant to neutralize the hype a little bit based on what was said (and perhaps what was said wasn't clear enough, or perhaps I misunderstood) - but I do agree that the FW900 is a special kind of CRT, which is why I was skeptical when you gave the impression that this monitor had replaced yours. Good to know that you sold it for other reasons, though. I can tell you why my IBM CRT is sitting in the basement right now, and that's because that thing is huge and heavier than a bag of rocks and because I don't play games competitively anymore. It also badly needs to be calibrated but I don't have the proper calibration hardware.

Thormus

Post by Thormus » 16 Dec 2019, 10:08

Can we blow the mong conch and get the XG270 on top of the rtings list? I paid 5 bucks and got 5 extra votes which boosted it up the chain. We just need about 5-7 people to do the same and we can get it to the top. There are 2 days left. Whose with me? I get my XG270 on Tuesday and pretty excited.

ELK

Post by ELK » 16 Dec 2019, 16:41

Thormus wrote:
16 Dec 2019, 10:08
Can we blow the mong conch and get the XG270 on top of the rtings list? I paid 5 bucks and got 5 extra votes which boosted it up the chain. We just need about 5-7 people to do the same and we can get it to the top. There are 2 days left. Whose with me? I get my XG270 on Tuesday and pretty excited.
I already voted

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 17 Dec 2019, 10:53

Wow, it got up to 33 votes, which is impressive. It won't make it to the top of the list for this deadline (unless a miracle happens), but at this rate it's very likely that it makes it for the next.

Thanks to everyone who voted so far!

Thormus

Post by Thormus » 17 Dec 2019, 11:23

I plan on using the XG270 for classic world of warcraft. I have a i7 7700k with a 1070ti. If I am unable to attain 240hz full time what would be the best settings for appearance and input lag? highest average hz, gsync compatable = on, vsync = on, purexp = on?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Dec 2019, 00:53

LagBuster wrote:
17 Dec 2019, 10:53
Wow, it got up to 33 votes, which is impressive. It won't make it to the top of the list for this deadline (unless a miracle happens), but at this rate it's very likely that it makes it for the next.

Thanks to everyone who voted so far!
Wow, 37 votes already thanks to you all enthusaic readers!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!