Looking for an upgrade

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Arixen

Looking for an upgrade

Post by Arixen » 21 Dec 2019, 16:25

Hey,
I've came across this forum and it seems to me you guys know your stuff. I'm currently running 144hz XL2411Z from benq and I would like to do an upgrade to 240hz.(My specs if its relevant: i7-8700 + RX570 (going to upgrade and switch to nvidia in may probably) + 16GB ram 3200mhz). There are so many 240hz monitors and their models that I just cannot make up my mind. My budget is around $600. I was looking at:
-ASUS ROG STRIX XG258Q, requires configuration as out of box config is bad?
-Benq XL2546, good MBR, no free/G-sync, only 320nits brightness?
-Alienware AW2518HF, I've read on your forum that it's not a really good choice.
-XF252Q Xbmiiprzx, I've read that it is also good. I don't know why the price is so low?
-Acer XN253Q Xbmiprzx, doesn't have freesync? Will utilise to full potential only after GPU upgrade?

or maybe u can recommend something else. I want a monitor that has great performance (minimal input lag and smooth image). I do not really care about colours. I'm all about raw performance.
I've read on your forum that XN253Q is really great but I wont utilise Gsync until I upgrade my GPU(or should I even play with Gsync on? I've heard it increases input lag).
I mostly play Apex legends, CS:GO and LoL.
I'm looking forward to your opinions I am really lost.
-Ari

TwentyFoe

Re: Looking for an upgrade

Post by TwentyFoe » 21 Dec 2019, 21:29

Some of the words you've used have led me to believe you've read some of my comments and/or this thread in particular, and I think there's one thing you should know which will make things much more clearer.

There's a difference between 'genuine' G-SYNC monitors (which include the G-SYNC hardware module in them), and "G-SYNC compatible" monitors (which do not have the hardware module installed), which enable G-SYNC via software alone. FreeSync (the AMD 'equivalent' of NVIDIA's G-SYNC) does not require a hardware module.

That is exactly why AW2518HF (FreeSync & G-SYNC compatible) is so much cheaper than the AW2518H (Genuine G-SYNC version this monitor).
That is why XF252QX (FreeSync & G-SYNC compatible) is so much cheaper than the XN253QX (Genuine G-SYNC version this monitor, which yes, does have FreeSync, because as I explained, that is available via DisplayPort/HDMI and does not require additional hardware).

You mentioned that you couldn't care less about the picture, so maybe there's no reason for you to wait for the upcoming ~24.5" 240Hz IPS monitors to release (IPS panels produce a better quality/accurate picture than TN panels), and you can pick your monitor form the already available selection. XF252QX & XN253QX have the new AUO panel and they seem to be doing very well in reviews, so if I were you, I'd probably pick one of those. As you noticed, there's a pretty huge price gap between these two. I explained why, meaning that you can now make an informed decision on whether you will utilize G-SYNC or not.

G-SYNC shines in games with unstable FPS. That seems to be case in many Battle Royale games, where your FPS can change drastically based on your location and what not. In a game like CS:GO, where you can maintain 240+ FPS pretty easily, maybe there's no point in utilizing that. I'm not sure if Apex Legends is similar to Fortnite in terms of FPS variation, but if it's also unstable, maybe you should consider G-SYNC.
Last edited by TwentyFoe on 22 Dec 2019, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

Arixen

Post by Arixen » 21 Dec 2019, 21:38

Thank you for the answer, I think I'll get one of the two. However, I have a question, if I don't upgrade to nvidia and would stay with amd, I would just waste money buying the more expensive model right? I want to know if that hardware module that nvidia g sync uses is somewhat utilised by amd cards or freesync? If the more expensive one also has freesync does having that extra gsync hardware module help?

TwentyFoe

Post by TwentyFoe » 22 Dec 2019, 01:10

Arixen wrote:
21 Dec 2019, 21:38
Thank you for the answer, I think I'll get one of the two. However, I have a question, if I don't upgrade to nvidia and would stay with amd, I would just waste money buying the more expensive model right?
Yup.
Arixen wrote:
I want to know if that hardware module that nvidia g sync uses is somewhat utilised by amd cards or freesync?
Nope.
Arixen wrote:
If the more expensive one also has freesync does having that extra gsync hardware module help?
Nope.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gsync ... ard-nvidia

Arixen

Post by Arixen » 22 Dec 2019, 09:38

Ok I'll get the XF252QX then. Last question tho, how does freesync and g-sync compatible compare to true g-sync? Can you "feel" the difference?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 22 Dec 2019, 10:14

Arixen wrote:
22 Dec 2019, 09:38
how does freesync and g-sync compatible compare to true g-sync? Can you "feel" the difference?
Depends on the FreeSync model, and whether it is officially "G-SYNC Compatible." Biggest possible differences between G-SYNC w/module and software-driven G-SYNC is 1) LFC range, and 2) dynamic overdrive.

1) For G-SYNC w/module, you're guaranteed an effective 0 to max refresh rate G-SYNC range. With FreeSync, it depends on the given monitor. LFC range and support can differ quite heavily, but the best FreeSync models (like FreeSync 2), are basically a match in this regard, especially if they're officially "G-SYNC Compatible."

2) G-SYNC w/module features dynamic overdrive, which prevents more ghosting during variable framerates. The majority of FreeSync monitors (whether they be G-SYNC Compatible or no) do not.

Otherwise, the experience should be relatively equal, but you do get something for that extra money when you spring for a G-SYNC monitor containing a module. Up to the individual as to whether it's "worth" it to them though.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Arixen

Post by Arixen » 22 Dec 2019, 12:40

Ok thank you everyone for clearing up my mind. From all of the current 240hz monitos on the market I am going to purchase Acer Predator XF252QX with the new panel 1.9.