Stutter warnings

NEW for 2017: Discussion about the testufo.com Blur Busters Motion Tests. Widely used by enthusiasts, display tweakers, YouTubers reviewers, monitor manufacturers and VR headset makers!
elric

Stutter warnings

Post by elric » 20 Dec 2019, 01:27

Hi,

I never managed to get a clean test on https://www.testufo.com/ , always got "STUTTER WARNING:
Browser stutter detected (1+). Close other apps and tabs."

No others tabs, tried with Chrome and Firefox.. What could be the issue?

Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Stutter warnings

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2020, 02:19

Usually it's a browser quirk or power management quirk.

Try Balanced Mode or High Performance Mode.

Can you post a screenshot of www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph -- It's usually a browser frametime spike every second, caused by internal TestUFO processing that normally should take under a millisecond but sometimes takes several milliseconds.

Also try screenshotting www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph#measure=rendering to see TestUFO frametimes .... If you see frametimes suddenly udulate up and down, that's the power management switching behaviour. Spin your mouse arrow on top of the animated TestUFO area (completely within the animation time graph) and it may sometimes stay low frametime and it goes green.

If this is what is happening to you, we may have a fix for this later in 2020. But to help us debug, please PM, email or post screenshots of both graphs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Pavelicii

Post by Pavelicii » 01 Jan 2024, 20:30

Hi Chief Blur Buster,

I'm having the same issue, here's the animation time graph screenshot:

I found what's causing it. I use AIDA64 to monitor temperature of my CPU an GPU by placing the corresponding number in tray. Basically it stutters every second, I guess whenever it reads the info from my hardware. If I disable it, there is no stuttering, but also I don't know the temperature.

I also tried HWiNFO, but then it's even worse:

First of all, the stuttering on the 1st screenshot doesn't look that bad. Which effect does it have on my system?

Second, of course ideally I would like to have no stuttering. Is there a monitoring software which doesn't have such downside?
Attachments
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png (137.17 KiB) Viewed 3160 times
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (105.78 KiB) Viewed 3160 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Feb 2024, 18:59

Temporarily exit all system monitoring software (no Task Manager either!) and see how this graph looks. Monitoring software, apparently sometimes adds stutters, sadly. Ditto for inefficient RGB software, too.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Randomizer23

Post by Randomizer23 » 25 Mar 2024, 19:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Jan 2020, 02:19
Usually it's a browser quirk or power management quirk.

Try Balanced Mode or High Performance Mode.

Can you post a screenshot of -- It's usually a browser frametime spike every second, caused by internal TestUFO processing that normally should take under a millisecond but sometimes takes several milliseconds.

Also try screenshotting to see TestUFO frametimes .... If you see frametimes suddenly udulate up and down, that's the power management switching behaviour. Spin your mouse arrow on top of the animated TestUFO area (completely within the animation time graph) and it may sometimes stay low frametime and it goes green.

If this is what is happening to you, we may have a fix for this later in 2020. But to help us debug, please PM, email or post screenshots of both graphs.
Is there an update on this? I get spikes with Balaned plan, would like to keep balanced as I want my CPU to downclock, just without the spikes.