Acer Nitro XF2 (Nitro XF272UP) Extreme Motion Blur

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
GuardianoftheBlind

Acer Nitro XF2 (Nitro XF272UP) Extreme Motion Blur

Post by GuardianoftheBlind » 15 Jan 2020, 13:30

My old Asus PG27AQ (4msc uhdc ipsc 60hz, gsync) is dying. I needed a new monitor. I decided, that I can't stay at 4k, because I can't afford a new gpu, because my 980ti really really struggles with newer games. It's often hard to even reach stable 30fps. My solution was to go with a 1440p monitor, but then with 144hz. I can not a afford a good ips panel and I already had bad experiences with motion blur and trails on a VA Panel. I went with TN and this Acer. I seem to have absolutely unbearable motion blur no matter, what settings in lower framerates. I tried RDR2 and It runs at like 45-50fps and feels quite fluid with 144hz, but it also has unbearable motion blur. No matter if I use VRB or nor. Without VRB it's all just a blurry mess. I can't see anything, when I move the camera. When I activate VRB it gets a bit sharper, but it looks like PS2 Motion blur with more than one frame displayed at once. I filmed this short bit of god of war on the ps4. Because that was easy to capture, but RDR2 was almost as bad, but harder to capture with my mediocre phone. There is no option vor VRB at 60hz, but it also looks like, there is more than 1 frame displayed. I don't get it, why this monitor seems so bad, because it should be a really fast display.
Should I just send it back to amazon?
Can you recommend me a good 1440p 144hz monitor, that also has little motion blur on lower framerates and 60hz (ps4 pro)? It should be around 400€ and easy to order in germany.
I apologize for a few grammar mistakes. English is obviously not my native language.
Here is the youtube link for the God of war video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKuztzv1YHM
Greetings
Stefan
Small Edit: I am Happy with the motion blur at a framerate that goes beyond 100 and it's really good at 144+vsync with VRB on. The problem is, that is diabolical on framerates lower than 100. It's worse in 60fps, than my old screen at 30fps. The playstation has much less blur on my cheap TV with a really slow panel.

AddictFPS

Re: Acer Nitro XF2 (Nitro XF272UP) Extreme Motion Blur

Post by AddictFPS » 17 Jan 2020, 17:57

Your monitor with VRB only can strobe at fixed frequency's, if you set it to 144Hz, strobe also run at 144Hz, so when the GPU can't maintain rock solid 144FPS, with VSync ON, sudenly go down to 72FPS and create Double Images.

If you set Nvidia VSync ON with Adaptive-VSync, in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector tool, when FPS drops below 144, no Double Images, just tearing, and in my opinion, tearing is so much less eye strain that Double Images.

If you continuously drop from 144FPS, is better set monitor at 100Hz.

There are some BenQ Zowie monitors that can strobe at 60Hz, all BenQ Zowie monitor are TN panels:
https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/
NOTE: For the XL2411Z, XL2420Z and XL2720Z, they have a single-strobe mode which looks great at 60 Hz but cause a lot of flicker.

GuardianoftheBlind

Post by GuardianoftheBlind » 18 Jan 2020, 17:56

AddictFPS wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 17:57
Your monitor with VRB only can strobe at fixed frequency's, if you set it to 144Hz, strobe also run at 144Hz, so when the GPU can't maintain rock solid 144FPS, with VSync ON, sudenly go down to 72FPS and create Double Images.

If you set Nvidia VSync ON with Adaptive-VSync, in Nvidia Control Panel or Nvidia Inspector tool, when FPS drops below 144, no Double Images, just tearing, and in my opinion, tearing is so much less eye strain that Double Images.

If you continuously drop from 144FPS, is better set monitor at 100Hz.

There are some BenQ Zowie monitors that can strobe at 60Hz, all BenQ Zowie monitor are TN panels:
https://www.blurbusters.com/benq/strobe-utility/
NOTE: For the XL2411Z, XL2420Z and XL2720Z, they have a single-strobe mode which looks great at 60 Hz but cause a lot of flicker.
Thanks for the answer.
I know that with strobing. My old IPS monitor had no strobing at all. But that doesn't explain the horrible image quality at 60hz. Because the monitor can't do strobing below 75hz. The playstation for example looks way worse, than on my old screen and on my really cheap china TV, that has no motion processing and overdrive at all.

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 19 Jan 2020, 12:51

Most monitors with strobe On, do not single-strobe below 85Hz approximately, for example all monitors whit GSync module in strobe mode (ULMB) have this behavior, so if you set 60Hz with strobe mode on these monitors, backlight apply Double Sttrobing to avoid flicker. This cause Double Images, and is very annoying, as you say. Sound like your monitor is one of this list.

Set monitor at 100Hz, mouse 500 or 1000Hz, try maintain 100FPS steady (some games need good SSD drive to avoid bad frametimes), VSync ON with Adaptive-VSync, or with Triple Buffer (D3DOverrider) if you prefer a bit of lag instead tearing, not use the default double buffer VSync ON that cause double images when FPS down from 100.

If now you not see double image, and blur is reduced, all is working good. Open a old game to test, or move view to sky in FPS game to get easy 100FPS to test.

So, if this is your problem, you need a new GPU that can maintain 100FPS with current game settings, or can lower image quality effects in order to get the desired sutained speed with the current GPU.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Jan 2020, 18:39

It's almost impossible to fix motion blur of low frame rates (20fps-40fps).

First, choose games that will let you run at a framerate within a strobe range. Most strobe backlights are arbitrarily rate-locked not to work below ~75Hz-85fps. Therefore, before using a blur-reduction mode, try to optimize your system to allow framerates closer to 100fps if possible. 100fps will have approximately one-third motion blur of 30fps just by sheer reductions in the persistence blur (sample and hold blurring).

Now if that was not enough motion blur reduction -- a motion blur reduction mode such as PureXP or VRB or ULMB helps! To go beyond that, Upgrade your GPU, reduce game settings, reduce your resolution. Then you've got the ability to enable a motion blur reduction mode -- from 16ms-33ms of motion blur to as little as ~0.5ms to 1.0ms of motion blur -- almost two orders of magnitude reduction of motion blur!

To improve quality of motion blur reduction (strobe modes), while not interfering with competitive performance, do this:
  1. Choose good quality strobe brand.
    That's why we started Blur Busters Approved
    -
  2. Use hertz headroom.
    120Hz strobe at 240Hz is superior to 120Hz strobe at 144Hz. Choose a lower Hz if you want low strobe crosstalk. Run at the Hz that your GPU can run at the framerate of (e.g. 100 fps at 100 Hz). If strobe performance is high priority, buy a 240 Hz monitor even if you don't plan to use 240 Hz, to give you headroom for reduced strobe crosstalk.
    -
  3. Eliminate mouse as microstutter weak link
    Use a good mouse, good mouse pad, good mouse feet, set to highest accurate DPI (1600 dpi+), low in-game sensitivity. This allows jitter-free slowturns and fastturns. Mouseturns as smooth as keyboard strafe left/right. Maximizing the motion clarity benefits of your strobed mode, seeing clearly during turning/panning/scrolling/etc.
    -
  4. Eliminate your amplified microstutters from fps mismatch with Hz
    Option A: Framerate = Hz using favourite low-lag capping method
    (Low-Lag VSYNC ON or RTSS S-Sync or Fast Sync + ingame cap, VSYNC ON + NULL, etc).
    Option B: Super overkill framerate well above Hz (e.g. >300fps at 120Hz), this can compensate.

When using blur reduction mode, you should configure it to reduce double images, reduce microstuttering, and reduce crosstalk. This allows you to maximize your image-quality enjoyment of a motion blur reduction mode. Blur reduction amplifies visibility of microstutters, as there is no motion blur to hide microstutters. Given the right parameters, it can look amazing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!