Frame capping question with weaker GPUs

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
djbigbear

Frame capping question with weaker GPUs

Post by djbigbear » 27 Jan 2020, 22:29

Hi,

If I have 180hz G-sync monitor, but my meek 1060 3GB could only perform 60 or 90 minimum FPS in certain games, should I cap those game performance to 60 FPS and 90 FPS each or should I just leave it at 177 FPS?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Frame capping question with weaker GPUs

Post by RealNC » 28 Jan 2020, 06:49

I like to cap my FPS to somewhere near the average FPS of a game. It feels more consistent that way. I don't like my FPS to go from 80 to 150 and then back again all the time. Also, in many cases being capped reduces input lag somewhat as well.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

djbigbear

Post by djbigbear » 28 Jan 2020, 10:06

Ah! so that's how it is with G-sync.. thank you very much!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Jan 2020, 12:57

djbigbear wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 10:06
Ah! so that's how it is with G-sync.. thank you very much!
Being able to cap my FPS to whatever value I want without getting stutter is actually one of the primary reasons I got a gsync display :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

djbigbear

Post by djbigbear » 28 Jan 2020, 18:29

RealNC wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 12:57
Being able to cap my FPS to whatever value I want without getting stutter is actually one of the primary reasons I got a gsync display :mrgreen:
I am so impressed by this tech.. it kinda went sideways from what I knew about conventional GPU performance.
But hours ago I tried installing an old RTS game Red Alert 3 Uprising which has in-game cap of 30 FPS, the G-Sync went ballistic... My mouse cursor. and camera scroll stutters badly, but if I keep the camera still on 1 spot, everything is smooth.
Maybe this is the limitation of G-sync for 30 FPS and below, you could fool the display but you couldn't fool the input rate. I hope there would be a fix for this in the future.

ELK

Post by ELK » 01 Feb 2020, 14:54

djbigbear wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 18:29
RealNC wrote:
28 Jan 2020, 12:57
I am so impressed by this tech.. it kinda went sideways from what I knew about conventional GPU performance.
But hours ago I tried installing an old RTS game Red Alert 3 Uprising which has in-game cap of 30 FPS, the G-Sync went ballistic... My mouse cursor. and camera scroll stutters badly, but if I keep the camera still on 1 spot, everything is smooth.
Maybe this is the limitation of G-sync for 30 FPS and below, you could fool the display but you couldn't fool the input rate. I hope there would be a fix for this in the future.

Gsync has a minimum fps. If you go below this fps then it starts showing frames twice. If your display has a minimum gsync refresh rate of 40 then you will see 20fps in a 30fps game.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 02 Feb 2020, 13:31

ELK wrote:
01 Feb 2020, 14:54
Gsync has a minimum fps. If you go below this fps then it starts showing frames twice. If your display has a minimum gsync refresh rate of 40 then you will see 20fps in a 30fps game.
That's not correct. You will see 30FPS just fine because of LFC (30FPS will result in 60, 90, 120, etc, Hz, depending of what the LFC algorithm thinks is best.)