Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
AddictFPS

Re: Viewsonic XG270 with 'PureXP" MBR [pre-tuned by Blur Busters!]

Post by AddictFPS » 09 Feb 2020, 06:43

If during a firmware update, unfortunately occurs a power cut, there are any solution user can do, like modern motherboards ? Or RMA and Viewsonic fix ? Anyway, i recommend use UPS for firmware updates.

Besides PureXP+ levels, there are any other change ?

Rtings.com is also waiting the new firmware before XG270 review ? Anyway, if the BFI test is like allways, unfortunately we cannot expect all information about it :(

They not test contrast, brightness and color with strobe modes, that is precisely what matters gamers that buy BFI monitor.

They don't make FullScreen photo to see if there are crosstalk, only a small center part, only with one strobe lenght, only with one strobe level, not allways in all frequencies monitor can strobe, they only are focused in MotionBlur part of BFI, one shame Image

Hope BlurBusters can push this section to make Rtings reviews more concerned about crosstalk issue ;)

BlurBusters talk with Viewsonic about the backlight bleeding issue ?
heckenjoni wrote: i know what ips glow is, and this is 100% the frame pressing against the panel, if i pull the frame back a little it is gone, i am only talking about the part in the red circles, the other is just my handy cam and not visible at all
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5998&start=130#p46327

Sound like easy to fix in manufacturing chain for new units, if Viewsonic take a bit of care about.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 09 Feb 2020, 07:24

i want to be clear i am not pretending to recommend a monitor tech in particular here, i dont work for a crt selling company, i dont work for digital foundry, or whatever, im just another crt monitor user which as been waitng for ages for a real replacement with no luck and dissapointed with modern monitor companies offerings trying to manipulate - cheat you with mediocre products.
LagBuster wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 10:14
I think what's being stated is that it has comparable motion handling to a high-end CRT.
thats one of my main complains with what manufacturers and monitor sites are doing with customers, poor motion quality has been one of the biggest flaws of current tech and they know a lot of people are crying about it (= profit oportunity for them) and pretend to fool users offering motion clarity monitors at the expense of big flaws / side effects, pretending those are not important as long as the user get the motion clarity the customer is asking for, in other words, is like they say: "you want motion clarity? just give us your money and we will give a monitor where you will be able to read things while moving, see thing as clear as they are when not moving, we dont care if your screen gets so dim, we dont care if you have to use a high refresh rates and buy overpriced GPUS to try achieve constant framerates at those refresh rates to achieve your motion clarity you are begging for, etc,etc... just give us your money, get your motion clarity and stop crying about side flaws, after all, what you want is "just motion clarity".

1000WATT wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 13:16
The first pages of the topic indicate the flaws you are talking about. Verllar does not have time to read 19 pages of the forum dedicated to this monitor?
when i agree people should use more common sense and research more instead of looking for quick answers, looking for a blurless motion quality monitor has become very dificult being very hard to find manufacturers or sites describing with honesty its motion clarity features without hiding - underestimating its side effects flaws, which leads to confusion, and vellar instead of being suggested to research more the first pages from this topic, was suggested to buy this XG270 monitor which at its current state, has the same brigtness loss flaw his current monitor has and concerns him in blru reduction modes (Acer VG270U)
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 00:15
Indeed, while we are biased in some advertising -- sure --
thanks for your honesty.

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
If the extra brightness settings are important to you
in my opinion the fact is not to get "extra" brightness, but presever it, today monitors are loosing brigntess when strobing at a massive scale that i find a strobed dim screen just dumb and boring, colors just feel lifeless so that enabling motion clarity becomes worthless
in my opinion.

so, what the next firmware will "improve" to brightess is just variable levels of it at the cost of motion clarity quality from what i see.
also i did not find in that manual a mention of 60hz motion clarity compatibility so the minimum still being 75hz in the next firmware i guess?

AddictFPS

Post by AddictFPS » 09 Feb 2020, 11:14

3dfan wrote: im just another crt monitor user which as been waitng for ages for a real replacement with no luck and dissapointed with modern monitor companies offerings trying to manipulate - cheat you with mediocre products.
+1 :(

My last dissapoint was Asus TUF 2019 series, i have nothing against ASUS, i would say exactly the same of any other brand, and hope they fix in future.

VG27AQ (IPS) and VG27BQ (TN), when i read are capable of Adaptive Sync + Strobe, i was excited, thinking, let's see what Asus has managed to do. I read TFTCentral and Rtings reviews, double strobing issue at all frequencies :shock: , and in HardForum topic abuot these monitors, users complain about to much crosstalk even only with strobe, without mix it whit Adaptive Sync :?

just give us your money, get your motion clarity and stop crying about side flaws, after all, what you want is "just motion clarity".
We would be lucky if it were true, because crosstalk issue break the motion quality. This is Benq/Zowie XL2720z, fine tuned... :?

and vellar instead of being suggested to research more the first pages from this topic, was suggested to buy this XG270 monitor which at its current state, has the same brigtness loss flaw his current monitor has and concerns him in blru reduction modes (Acer VG270U)
I got carried away by enthusiasm :oops:
also i did not find in that manual a mention of 60hz motion clarity compatibility so the minimum still being 75hz in the next firmware i guess?
This topic is for convince Viewsonic to add it.

But be aware, as RealNC say in this forum, that LCD strobe flicker 60Hz is as intense as CRT at 30Hz :!: , due to current strobe tech is not the same as phosphor smooth decay.

Simulate CRT 60Hz phosphor decay in LCD strobe 60Hz is good for less flicker, but undesirable for motion quality, panning in CRT 60Hz a white moving object in a fullscreen black background, cause a long trail WhiteToBlack behind the white object. This same test in XG270 SingleStrobe 60Hz with strobe fast WhiteToBlack, for sure leave much less trail, but with heavy blink :!:

The solution can be set a long strobe lenght at 60Hz for compensate, trade Flicker with MotionBlur.

I hope game developers take note of this problem, and stop limit games at 60FPS, is ridiculous. If a game is designed for console, and detect 60Hz HDTV, run at 60. But make the engine uncapped, and if port it to PC do not limit to 60FPS Image

ELK

Post by ELK » 09 Feb 2020, 13:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
I'm already running the firmware. Personally my favourite compromise is Extreme at night, and Normal during daytime.

Cheers,
Would you share the firmware?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Feb 2020, 04:03

AddictFPS wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 11:14
Simulate CRT 60Hz phosphor decay in LCD strobe 60Hz is good for less flicker, but undesirable for motion quality, panning in CRT 60Hz a white moving object in a fullscreen black background, cause a long trail WhiteToBlack behind the white object. This same test in XG270 SingleStrobe 60Hz with strobe fast WhiteToBlack, for sure leave much less trail, but with heavy blink :!:
I have moved the offtopic discussion to a separate thread to this thread in Area 51: Display Science, Research & Engineering Forum
elexor wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 06:38
Will the new firmware have 60hz singlestrobing? if not have they given you any indication it's going to be added?
The new firmware does not have 60Hz single strobe.
You'll still have to rely on software BFI + 120 Hz in your favourite emulators.
(several, including RetroArch, MAME, WinUAE, has a black frame insertion setting).

(That said, BFI + 120Hz on XG270 looks better than 60 Hz single-strobe on a TN on the very few monitors available that supports single-strobe 60 Hz. Though for 60Hz strobing (via 120Hz+BFI combo) XG270 I'd advise the brightest 'Light' setting in the new firmware. Even though that's 40% persistence at 120Hz, that falls to only 20% persistence for those longer intervals between visible frames at 60fps via 120Hz+BFI. There is no TN-style artifacts that occurs with software BFI on the XG270, no banding and no checkerboard-pixel artifacts, it almost looks like native hardware 60Hz single strobe.)
ELK wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 13:17
Would you share the firmware?
It has to be released through ViewSonic auto update.

It's my understanding that your installed copy of ViewSonic Elite Display Controller software will automatically notify you when a new firmware is available. Once it is, you can connect a USB cable between computer & monitor to execute the firmware installation.

(If you don't want to keep the Controller software installed on your Windows setup -- then wait until you hear firmware to be released, then temporarily install Elite DisplayController to install the new firmware, then uninstall the Windows software after your new monitor firmware is installed. Also, you can also use a different computer, such as a laptop, to install the firmware, if you wish)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

elexor

Post by elexor » 10 Feb 2020, 04:54

120hz BFI only works with emulators real consoles and fpga systems won't beable to do this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Feb 2020, 05:29

AddictFPS wrote:
09 Feb 2020, 11:14
But be aware, as RealNC say in this forum, that LCD strobe flicker 60Hz is as intense as CRT at 30Hz :!: , due to current strobe tech is not the same as phosphor smooth decay.

Simulate CRT 60Hz phosphor decay in LCD strobe 60Hz is good for less flicker, but undesirable for motion quality, panning in CRT 60Hz a white moving object in a fullscreen black background, cause a long trail WhiteToBlack behind the white object.
Actually these are two different issues. The trail is because of phosphor decay. We don't want that, of course. However, it turns out that the less severe flicker of CRT is not due to phosphor decay, but because of the rolling scan. The CRT does not actually flicker. What it does is produce a horizontal light pulse that rolls down from top to bottom. As a result, some part of the screen is being illuminated at all times. In contrast, the majority of LCD monitors do not use a rolling scan backlight. They instead flicker the whole backlight on and off, so the whole screen is black and then bright all at once. This produces more severe flicker compared to rolling scan.

Here is a slow motion video of CRT rolling scan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BJU2dr ... u.be&t=143

This is why 60Hz CRT does not flicker as much as 60Hz LCD strobing. There are some LCD displays out there that do rolling scan, but I think it's only TVs. I'm not aware of computer monitors that do rolling scan.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

heckenjoni

Post by heckenjoni » 10 Feb 2020, 07:56

did anyone saw the vg279qm in person ? would be interesting to hear if it comes close to the xg270 ..

LagBuster

Post by LagBuster » 10 Feb 2020, 15:34

heckenjoni wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 07:56
did anyone saw the vg279qm in person ? would be interesting to hear if it comes close to the xg270 ..
It's not Blur Busters Approved, so no. :lol:

[Important editor's note for readers: Not necessarily. see this note]

heckenjoni

Post by heckenjoni » 11 Feb 2020, 07:54

LagBuster wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 15:34
heckenjoni wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 07:56
It's not Blur Busters Approved, so no. :lol:
hmm hope we dont close our eyes for some monitors just because it is not blur buster approved, i am mostly interested in the vg279qm because i know there will be the vg259qm and i didnt hear anything about a 25" version of the viewsonic, i am mostly fine with 27" but i know there are a lot of ppl that prefere 25" and if the vg279qm/vg259qm comes close to the performence of the xg270 wouldnt that be great ?