Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Caronizeeee

Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Post by Caronizeeee » 10 Feb 2020, 02:06

Hello guys, I apologize for my English.

I am a competitive Fortnite player and have an Alienware AW2518HF (Freesync version). Depending on the mode and the game, many players arrive at the end in the space of a very small map, or it is called "End Game", and at that moment there is no PC that is safe or a stable FPS. When the FPS is unstable, falling into the world, I feel the game very heavy, low fluidity or "broken", and I feel Inpug Lag in the crosshairs. In these games I could or should limit my FPS from 237 to 144hz to improve stability at the end of competitive games (mainly in squad mode, in solo mode it doesn't happen) ???? If I limit 144fps in this case, could I leave GSYNC (Fressync) + Vsync ON + Latency Mode ON? Or in this case, limit 100fps below my monitor's refresh rate and change something on the nvidia panel?

Another question would be, can I play NVCP with the game open during games or should I close the game first if I test other settings (like VSYNC, leave the latency mode in Ultra, etc.)

Thanks

1000WATT

Re: Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Post by 1000WATT » 12 Feb 2020, 10:58

If I understand you correctly.
When you use vrr. Limit your FPS to any value that is convenient for you within the vrr range for better input consistency. Try to keep the monitor refresh rate (Hz) as high as possible.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Caronizeeee

Re: Cap 144fps on 240hz monitor (NVCP Freesync (Alienware aw2518hf) + VSYNC ON and Latency Mode ON.

Post by Caronizeeee » 12 Feb 2020, 14:55

Sorry, VRR would be Freesync? Freesync + Vsync On + Low Latency Mode Online and limit my fps to 237 in Fortnite. However, some games or the FPS fluctuate a lot, I wish I could limit it to 144 for example, to keep Frametime more stable. Would I have to turn anything off on the NVIDIA panel or limit my fps? If you leave 144 fps on my 240 hz monitor, with Freesync + Vsync + Low latency mode connected to the nvidia panel, do you have a problem? In some competitive matches with a lot of players alive at the end, I feel a certain delay of entry, I believe that due to the very fluctuating FPS, as something to improve this? Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Feb 2020, 20:25

Understanding Capping When Capping Low:
Capping To Prioritize Frametime Consistency / Lag Consistency

Use the in-game frame rate cap.

It can definitely be advantageous to cap closer to the floor of your framerate range if you prioritize latency-consistency over latency-lowness. This will make your target-aiming less erratic.

Occasionally, I've seen esports players score higher with "higher-but-consistent" lag, versus "low-but-volatile" lag.

Let's say, you're slewing your target at 4000 pixels/sec. Your latency suddenly decreases by 1ms temporarily. Now your aiming is 4 pixels early becuse your lag unexpectedly decreased by 1ms. Okay, what if your lag suddenly decreases by 5ms? Okay, your aiming is 20 pixels off to the side! This can make it hard to aim at fast-moving far-away targets like airplanes flying over you.

So some esports players prefer "higher-but-consistent" lag. Capping at the valley of your framerate fluctuation range, can help you do that, if your aim training benefits from consistent lag.

Ideally, you do need to re-train using your favourite aimtrainer to your new latency regimen though, before the game "will feel right" again.

Now, not all players benefit from the "higher-but-consistent". It depends on how you play. But I've seen many do better when optimizing to lag-consistency over lag-volatility (wide fluctuating frame rate = very volatile lag).

Try it multiple ways, see how your performance changes!
-- Test cap at middle of your frame rate range
-- Test cap near bottom of your frame rate range
-- For lowest lag during low caps (e.g. 100fps cap or 150fps cap), it's best to use VRR + max Hz + low cap = maximum fluidity.
-- Ideally, use the in-game frame rate cap

Also, don't forget to Understand The Capping Differential especially if you need to cap in a smoothness-prioritized manner near fps closer to Hz for any reason.

Scoring Better With Higher Lag But Consistent Lag
It's exactly like the olden days where you had 60fps games suddenly drop to 30fps (and suddenly lag) before jumping back to 60fps. You could REALLY feel the latency change when a console game suddenly halved frame rate. You try to aim at an enemy in a big firefight, the game frame rate suddenly changes, and damn, you missed your shot because the latency spiked. Ouch.

If your game was frame rate locked (console games, or PC VSYNC ON) -- it was often was easier to train your game if you increased graphics detail to keep the game permanently at 30fps, or decrease graphics detail to keep your game permanently at 60fps. One-or-the-other. Lagfeel consistency.

Even today, years later, the same problem still happens with games running 240fps suddenly falling to 100fps suddenly going back to 240fps. The lagfeel changes.

That's why -- sometimes -- capping at a low frame rate cap sometimes is advantageous in competitive gameplay, if your aim training benefits more from consistent lagfeel. Not everyone is good at compensating for dynamic lag that always changes.

Either way, try to use the in-game framerate cap if you're using a framerate far below Hz. There are reasons to use RTSS or Control Panel to use a cap -- however, most games often perform with less capping lag when you use the in-game frame rate cap -- and is better when you're using a cap far below Hz to prioritize frametime-consistency / latency-consistency.

This material may go into a Frame Rate Capping Differentials FAQ later this year, to demystify caps.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 14 Mar 2020, 02:59

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
12 Feb 2020, 20:25
Understanding Capping When Capping Low:
Capping To Prioritize Frametime Consistency / Lag Consistency

Use the in-game frame rate cap.

It can definitely be advantageous to cap closer to the floor of your framerate range if you prioritize latency-consistency over latency-lowness. This will make your target-aiming less erratic.

Occasionally, I've seen esports players score higher with "higher-but-consistent" lag, versus "low-but-volatile" lag.

Let's say, you're slewing your target at 4000 pixels/sec. Your latency suddenly decreases by 1ms temporarily. Now your aiming is 4 pixels early becuse your lag unexpectedly decreased by 1ms. Okay, what if your lag suddenly decreases by 5ms? Okay, your aiming is 20 pixels off to the side! This can make it hard to aim at fast-moving far-away targets like airplanes flying over you.

So some esports players prefer "higher-but-consistent" lag. Capping at the valley of your framerate fluctuation range, can help you do that, if your aim training benefits from consistent lag.

Ideally, you do need to re-train using your favourite aimtrainer to your new latency regimen though, before the game "will feel right" again.

Now, not all players benefit from the "higher-but-consistent". It depends on how you play. But I've seen many do better when optimizing to lag-consistency over lag-volatility (wide fluctuating frame rate = very volatile lag).

Try it multiple ways, see how your performance changes!
-- Test cap at middle of your frame rate range
-- Test cap near bottom of your frame rate range
-- For lowest lag during low caps (e.g. 100fps cap or 150fps cap), it's best to use VRR + max Hz + low cap = maximum fluidity.
-- Ideally, use the in-game frame rate cap

Also, don't forget to Understand The Capping Differential especially if you need to cap in a smoothness-prioritized manner near fps closer to Hz for any reason.

Scoring Better With Higher Lag But Consistent Lag
It's exactly like the olden days where you had 60fps games suddenly drop to 30fps (and suddenly lag) before jumping back to 60fps. You could REALLY feel the latency change when a console game suddenly halved frame rate. You try to aim at an enemy in a big firefight, the game frame rate suddenly changes, and damn, you missed your shot because the latency spiked. Ouch.

If your game was frame rate locked (console games, or PC VSYNC ON) -- it was often was easier to train your game if you increased graphics detail to keep the game permanently at 30fps, or decrease graphics detail to keep your game permanently at 60fps. One-or-the-other. Lagfeel consistency.

Even today, years later, the same problem still happens with games running 240fps suddenly falling to 100fps suddenly going back to 240fps. The lagfeel changes.

That's why -- sometimes -- capping at a low frame rate cap sometimes is advantageous in competitive gameplay, if your aim training benefits more from consistent lagfeel. Not everyone is good at compensating for dynamic lag that always changes.

Either way, try to use the in-game framerate cap if you're using a framerate far below Hz. There are reasons to use RTSS or Control Panel to use a cap -- however, most games often perform with less capping lag when you use the in-game frame rate cap -- and is better when you're using a cap far below Hz to prioritize frametime-consistency / latency-consistency.

This material may go into a Frame Rate Capping Differentials FAQ later this year, to demystify caps.
Hello master, thanks in advance for the class you gave me in this post.

I have one last question. I still feel Fortnite oscillating the FPS a lot these days (before it was much more stable). Is there any difference between me leaving 240hz on the nvidia panel, and capping my game at 165fps or putting 165hz on the nvidia panel and capping my game at 165fps or 162fps? Should I continue to use GSYNC + VSYNC ON with latency mode ON as well, in both cases? Which is better? Remembering that I have an Alienware AW2518HF. Thanks

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2020, 18:10

Caronizeeee wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 02:59
I have one last question. I still feel Fortnite oscillating the FPS a lot these days (before it was much more stable). Is there any difference between me leaving 240hz on the nvidia panel, and capping my game at 165fps or putting 165hz on the nvidia panel and capping my game at 165fps or 162fps? Should I continue to use GSYNC + VSYNC ON with latency mode ON as well, in both cases? Which is better? Remembering that I have an Alienware AW2518HF. Thanks
Always use highest Hz with G-SYNC and FreeSync

Lower lag at higher Hz even at low frame rates.

165fps frames are transmitted over the wire in 1/240sec if you leave your monitor at 240Hz.

100fps at 240Hz is lower lag than 100fps at 144Hz, which is in turn lower lag than 100fps at 100Hz.

Exceptions: The only reason to use a lower Hz is for other good reasons such as lowering strobe crosstalk (ideally in conjunction with Quick Frame Transport (Fast scanrate + Large Vertical Total) tricks, to keep refresh-cycle transmission velocity as high as possible). For Strobing and VSYNC ON (or RTSS Scanline Sync), intentionally switch to a lower refresh rate matching roughly the floor of your frame rate range. This will provide you with a stutterless and jitterless strobing experience

That's why it's good to have a 240Hz or 280Hz monitor even when gaming at only 90 or 100 frames per second; it delightfully lowers input latency of low frame rates if you use G-SYNC or FreeSync.

You can use as much capping headroom as you wish.

For G-SYNC and FreeSync, using caps-far-below-Hz to stabilize a crazily-fluctuating frame rate:
1. Always use highest Hz
2. Then use a frame rate cap that equals your approximate average frame rate.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 15 Mar 2020, 03:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 18:10
Caronizeeee wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 02:59
Always use highest Hz with G-SYNC and FreeSync

Lower lag at higher Hz even at low frame rates.

165fps frames are transmitted over the wire in 1/240sec if you leave your monitor at 240Hz.

100fps at 240Hz is lower lag than 100fps at 144Hz, which is in turn lower lag than 100fps at 100Hz.

Exceptions: The only reason to use a lower Hz is for other good reasons such as lowering strobe crosstalk (ideally in conjunction with Quick Frame Transport (Fast scanrate + Large Vertical Total) tricks, to keep refresh-cycle transmission velocity as high as possible). For Strobing and VSYNC ON (or RTSS Scanline Sync), intentionally switch to a lower refresh rate matching roughly the floor of your frame rate range. This will provide you with a stutterless and jitterless strobing experience

That's why it's good to have a 240Hz or 280Hz monitor even when gaming at only 90 or 100 frames per second; it delightfully lowers input latency of low frame rates if you use G-SYNC or FreeSync.

You can use as much capping headroom as you wish.

For G-SYNC and FreeSync, using caps-far-below-Hz to stabilize a crazily-fluctuating frame rate:
1. Always use highest Hz
2. Then use a frame rate cap that equals your approximate average frame rate.
Thanks again master. I will test Fortnite set at 144fps using the 240hz monitor with Freesync ON + Vsync ON + Low Latency Mode ON !!! Is this still the best possible configuration? I'm sorry for input lag in FPS swings, there's nothing I can do but keep FPS as close to the average as the game is running, right? This only happens in competitive games, at the end of the game, many players live constructions and a very small safe. Otherwise it spikes well in 237, the game is poorly optimized.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2020, 04:37

Caronizeeee wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 03:12
Thanks again master. I will test Fortnite set at 144fps using the 240hz monitor with Freesync ON + Vsync ON + Low Latency Mode ON !!!
Try it!

Just FYI -- a cap far below Hz will always sync via FreeSync only, and will almost never trigger VSYNC ON. The fallback sync mode (VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF) only occurs for frametimes faster than refreshtimes (1/240sec for 240Hz), and you won't get much sub-1/240sec frametimes during a 144fps cap at 240Hz.

Caronizeeee

Post by Caronizeeee » 15 Mar 2020, 06:52

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 04:37
Caronizeeee wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 03:12
Thanks again master. I will test Fortnite set at 144fps using the 240hz monitor with Freesync ON + Vsync ON + Low Latency Mode ON !!!
Try it!

Just FYI -- a cap far below Hz will always sync via FreeSync only, and will almost never trigger VSYNC ON. The fallback sync mode (VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF) only occurs for frametimes faster than refreshtimes (1/240sec for 240Hz), and you won't get much sub-1/240sec frametimes during a 144fps cap at 240Hz.
Thank you very much, Master! I will do this test !!!