Monitor Ghosting Problems

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Adventurethis

Monitor Ghosting Problems

Post by Adventurethis » 17 Feb 2020, 07:55

Hi

I recently got a LG 27gl850 to go with my 2070S but I am having a lot of issues in games, in particular Overwatch

The moment i mouse look quickly i get noticeable blurring/ghosting, the effect is more noticeable when closer to other players but overall it is quite severe.

Switching between overdrive (off/normal/fast) make virtually no difference, switching to faster creates obvious overshoot/smearing

Im starting to wonder if its my computer that is the issue as my old (3 months old) va panel also didnt seem to work well.

doing the UFO test i struggle to see any difference between the different overdrive settings there doesnt seem to be much ghosting at all, except for faster which is noticeably bad..it has significant overshoot

Is there anyone that knows what else might be the problem? or what else i should check? software/hardware?

Im at a bit of a loss at this point as recently ive gone from new monitor (va) and new gpu (amd) working well, to dead amd card, new card (2070s), to ghosting on va monitor with the new card to a new monitor and the same issues..

Things I have tried that have not solved the issue

1. different refresh rates (100hz to 144hz)
2. Capped and uncapped frames
3. adapt sync on and off
4. g sync compatibility on and off
5. v sync on and off
6. hdmi and dp
7. 1080p and 1440p
8. Updated monitor driver
9. Changed PCIE 4.0 to PCIE 3.0

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Monitor Ghosting Problems

Post by RealNC » 17 Feb 2020, 11:32

How much FPS do you get? Is g-sync enabled? Does it get better if you disable it? Did you make sure the display is running at 144Hz when in-game? (Check the monitor's OSD for that.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Adventurethis

Post by Adventurethis » 18 Feb 2020, 06:07

Hi

I have my fps capped at 141 but i can uncapped and it will go between 250 to 299 depending on the scene

display is running at 144hz in game and with g-sync on our off i dont notice any improvement they are about the same

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Feb 2020, 06:55

Then I'd say this is how this particular monitor looks like. Unless of course you have some sort of motion blur effect enabled in the game's graphics settings.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Adventurethis

Post by Adventurethis » 18 Feb 2020, 06:56

If it helps my monitor settings are

Refresh 144hz
desktop resolution 2560x 1440
Active signal resolution 2560x 1440
Bit depth 8 bit
Color Format RGB
Color space SDR
Adaptive sync On
HDR off
Response time Fast
DAS mode On
Game mode Gamer 1
Black Stabilizer 60
Brightness 70
Contrast 70
Sharpness 60
Gamma Mode 2
Color Temp Custom
R/G/B left at 50 each
Input DP
Aspect Ratio Full Wide
Display port 1.4 enabled

Nvidia settings
Image sharpening off
anisotropic filter application controlled
antialising fxaa off
gamma correction on
antialising mode application controlled
antialising transparency off
CUDA GPUs all
Low latency mode off
max frame rate off
monitor technology gysnc compatible
Multi frame sampled aa off
openGl rendering GPU auto select
power management pefer maximum performance
refresh rate use highest available
shader cache on
anisotropic sample optimization on
negative lod bios on
quality high performance
trilinear optimization on
threaded optimization auto
triple buffering off
vertical sync off
vr pre rendered frames use application setting

Im hoping someone can come up with a solution though because its terrible.

This has been my experience.

1. bought a new computer with aoc ag322qc4 and a 5700xt , everything worked perfectly and looked great until just before christmas
2. after 3 months i started getting occasional black screens, eventually my computer was stuck in a crashing loop
3 took it to get looked at and shop confirmed the GPU was dead, advised they had to do a full reinstall
4. got my computer back and put in my old 1060 , ghosting was bad
5. i assumed the old gpu was the problem so i got a new 2070s and nothing changed
6. with my refund from the dead gpu i got myself the new monitor and im still having issues

Its been a painful road and i still dont have a solution

starting to wonder if the problem is motherboard or something else, but i dont know how to test that

RealNC wrote:
18 Feb 2020, 06:55
Then I'd say this is how this particular monitor looks like. Unless of course you have some sort of motion blur effect enabled in the game's graphics settings.
I mean, the ag322qc4 and a 5700xt had less ghosting before the computer crashing compared to the lg 27gl850 and 2070s..everything looked perfect before then, i still have the aoc monitor and switching between the 2 makes little difference..something definitely seems wrong but i dont know enough to be able to trouble shoot everything

abhyudaytiwari

Post by abhyudaytiwari » 14 Dec 2020, 00:38

Going through something similar myself. I have 2 gaming monitors (144hz Nd 240hz) which i have tried seperately and i am supposed to get blur free and ghosting free experience on them but both are ghosting and smearing in games in an identical fashion , so something is wrong in my system too drivers? Gpu? Motherboard? Only way to test is to try a totally different computer and then trobleshoot componenrs individually.