XL2720z V2 + BB Strobe Utility = Greatest Gaming Monitor!

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
LogicElite

XL2720z V2 + BB Strobe Utility = Greatest Gaming Monitor!

Post by LogicElite » 22 Mar 2014, 13:18

Being one of the first to receive this screen (public release), pre-orderer on dec-2013 and delivered on the first January week. I was unsatisfied for a 500$ monitor.. and when I noticed the poor motion blur reduction configuration and results I was very close to return this screen.

Stock V1:
Very Dark strobing (can't even play some game since the screen was too dark.. like BF4...);
Poor color (using the ICC profile on the BenQ cd..);
Lots of crosstalk.

What I've done:
Ordered the MSTAR unit and flashed from V1 to V2 with the support and procedure from chief (thanks again mate);
Installed the BlurBusters Strobe Utility;
Installed the ICC profile from TFTcentral DB;
Made the custom resolution (120hz and set the total vertical pixel to 1350);
Configured Strobe Utilty for my game while the game was running on the other monitor (would love to have the ability to save and manage custom profiles and maybe a future integration with BenQ Display Pilot.. who knows... :) );

Results:
And can strobe even in 60hz, my games now using strobing and they have brightness how high I wish and REAL-TIME control;
Less crosstalk since is now controlled as I WISH by the utility;
Very nice color (close from my other monitor - Dell UltraSharp U2412M)

Everything that I gamer or an enthusiast would expect from a monitor!
seriously, with Strobe Utility, it's like a totally new screen!

So guys ! Go ahead and please.. support chief in his hard work! He deserve it!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: XL2720z V2 + BB Strobe Utility = Greatest Gaming Monitor

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2014, 12:03

LogicElite wrote:Everything that I gamer or an enthusiast would expect from a monitor!
seriously, with Strobe Utility, it's like a totally new screen!
Thanks for the compliment!
It's quite a big upgrade if you say it's like a totally new screen.

I'm hoping such flexible adjustability continues to become possible with future models of low-persistence (strobed) gaming monitors!

EDIT: Those reading this, who haven't purchased yet and want to avoid upgrading, BENQ's USA site is now selling Z-Series with V2 preinstalled for an immediate out of box experience. Also, Amazon USA and Amazon Canada is confirmed to sell V2 now:

BENQ XL2411Z on Amazon or BENQ.com
BENQ XL2420Z on Amazon or BENQ.com
BENQ XL2720Z on Amazon or BENQ.com
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

GitDat

Post by GitDat » 30 Mar 2014, 07:37

I concur! I've never been happier since gaming with my old CRT back in the late 90's! lol. It's definitely like a brand new monitor now. I can't see myself upgrading monitors for a long time, I'm so satisfied. It would have to be an equivalent 4k, 120Hz but I'm sure that's a ways off :mrgreen:

The Chief is an outstanding human being! He knows his stuff so well that he's actually influencing big companies like NVIDIA, BENQ and I'd say even Oculus Rift!

We the people are tired of being force fed this two decade long of mega blurry flat panel gaming! This change has been a long time coming. Lead the way Chief, lead the way! ;) Thanks for all of your hard work.
Cougar Conquer 2 | MSI Meg Z390 Godlike | 9900K | NZXT Kraken X72 | 32GB TridentZ RGB 3600MHz | RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Samsung 960 Pro NVMe M.2 SSD RAID-0 | Corsair AX860 | 3DMark Port Royal - 14204 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Triple 32" Samsung CHG70 | Samsung CHG90 Super-Ultrawide Auxiliary

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 02 Apr 2014, 00:27

How high did you have to take persistence to get the strobed mode to a satisfactory brightness?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 00:33

Oofloom wrote:How high did you have to take persistence to get the strobed mode to a satisfactory brightness?
It is very person preference dependant, and depends on ambient lighting.

Some people said even the minimum LightBoost=10% is too bright for them (equivalent BENQ setting = ~1.5ms persistence), while other people think LightBoost=100% is still far too dim (equivalent BENQ setting = ~2.5ms persistence). If you enable the VT1350 tweak, the 5ms persistence setting is roughly twice as bright as LightBoost=100%.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Oofloom

Post by Oofloom » 02 Apr 2014, 01:16

Yeah the VG248QE felt way too dim to me even at 100%, but it might've been tolerable if the LB hack hadn't ruined overall PQ too.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Apr 2014, 11:49

Oofloom wrote:Yeah the VG248QE felt way too dim to me even at 100%, but it might've been tolerable if the LB hack hadn't ruined overall PQ too.
The Z-Series has exactly the same color gamut with BENQ Blur Reduction turned on -- no difference in colors when adjusted to equivalent brightness levels (strobed brightness average adjusted to match an equivalent lowered non-strobed brightness). The color gamut preservation is one of the redeeming features of the BENQ Blur Reduction; and all monitor adjustments (including gamma) are accessible in strobe mode, unlike on a LightBoost monitor. For me, this more than compensates for the lack of Y-axis-compensated response time acceleration (found in LightBoost and ULMB).

We'd love to see future strobe-backlight monitors follow a similar "flexible" path.

EPSFBPMOSF

Post by EPSFBPMOSF » 06 Apr 2014, 16:13

yeah .. how to get this monitor per-installed with V2?

I'm not in USA, I'm from Saudi Arabia, between Asia and Africa.

Is the VG278QE very similar to z series with V2? otherwise tell me how to get XL2720Z to my country.

Thanks ..

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 07 Apr 2014, 04:40

Chief Blur Buster wrote:. For me, this more than compensates for the lack of Y-axis-compensated response time acceleration (found in LightBoost and ULMB).
What's Y axis compensated response time? o.o

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Apr 2014, 12:30

Falkentyne wrote:What's Y axis compensated response time? o.o
See relevant section in "Electronics Hacking: Creating A Strobe Backlight".