My ViewSonic XG270 + PureXP™ Tweaks (ICC Download) [Advanced Users]

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Kuzunkhaa

My ViewSonic XG270 + PureXP™ Tweaks (ICC Download) [Advanced Users]

Post by Kuzunkhaa » 20 Mar 2020, 20:19

Hi, I would like to share to the community how I have tuned my ViewSonic XG270 with PureXP™ enabled, to achieve a very good visual quality. All the info shared here is a result of tons of reading and hours of testing, trying to make it simple.

Moderator's Added Note:
---begin added note---
Great info! Just want to inform for novice users: This advanced section is optional to PureXP. It's a great hardcore tweak though -- though might void the GPU warranty depending on what your GPU/board vendor rules on this are (I have to add this disclaimer, as NVIDIA collaborates with Blur Busters from time-to-time) -- Before doing this, make sure you understand UEFI GOP and the advantages; including Fast Boot, higher refresh rates, etc. If the advantages of this tweak isn't important to you (or don't know what a UEFI GOP is) and/or you only plan to use 100Hz-120Hz PureXP without other GPU tweaks -- then you can simply skip to Section #2.
Remember PureXP™ is easy by default, all other advanced tweaks are optional.
---end added note---

So, let's see cleary our friendly UFO! Image

1. Check your GPU compatibility

My system have two GTX 980 Ti in SLI connected through a DisplayPort
and unfortunately doesn't work with "Compatible G-Sync"
(your computer must be equipped with a GeForce GTX 10-Series or GeForce RTX 20-Series graphics card),
but I can use and see more than 240Hz.

How is it possible? It's all about the firmware inside your video card.
You can easily upgrate this module with an official tool made by NVIDIA: NVIDIA Graphics Firmware Update Tool for DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 Displays

The products supported by the tool are:
  • NVIDIA TITAN Series
    TITAN X (Maxwell), TITAN X (Pascal), TITAN XP
  • GeForce 10 Series
    GeForce GT 1030, GeForce GTX 1050, GTX 1050Ti, GTX 1060, GTX 1070, GTX 1070Ti, GTX 1080, GTX 1080Ti
  • GeForce 900 Series
    GeForce GTX 950, GTX 950Ti, GTX 960, GTX 970, GTX 980, GTX 980Ti
  • GeForce 700 Series
    GeForce GTX 745, GTX 750, GTX 750Ti

Just launch the software and follow all the guided steps, but basically is all automatic.

Hovewer what we have to do if our GPUs have a custom/modded BIOS like mine or you have AMD GPU?
We can use a tool called GOPupd made by lordkag: AMD and Nvidia GOP update

This is suggested only for advanced users and I'm not responsible for any damage. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Extract the compressed file in a folder, move and drop your custom BIOS file into GOPupd.bat

Press Y and Enter key when requested to confirm the update

Now your rom is patched and the new file is inside the GOPupd folder, renamed with "_updGOP" at the end

Now remains only to flash the patched rom inside your GPU.
Remember to use the proper flash tool for your video card!
As an example my GTX 980 Ti is a MAXWELL microarchitecture, so the best NVFlash version to use is the 5.218
(suggested NVFlash downloads and info)

The next tiny tutorial is how I used NVFlash to flash my custom BIOS:
(mythbuster: is not necessary to run the tool with Windows in Safe Mode or to uninstall the GPU driver)

Extract the NVFlash tool in a folder on the root of your disk (usually C:\)
and launch a Command Prompt as Administrator.
Move or copy the patched rom file inside the NVFlash folder

With the Command Prompt go in the NVFlash folder and use the command "nvflash --list"
to show a list of your GPUs in your system
Look at the <0> or <1> near the "Graphics Device" text.
In this example is corresponding to <0>=First GPU <1>=Second GPU

We need to remove the write protection from the GPU with the command "nvflash -i0 --protectoff"
The "-i0" meaning to use the first GPU, so to do the same to the second GPU in the example we have to change as "-i1". This is why before I have explained about "the 0 and the 1"

Now is possible to flash the patched rom with the command "nvflash -i0 name_or_your_rom_file"
and confirm by pressing only the Y key when requested

This screenshot show the confirmation of a good flashing

Remains only to restore the write protection with the command "nvflash -i0 --protecton"
and next you can reboot your system!

2. Create a Custom Resolution

The ViewSonic XG270 with the new firmware + PureXP™ enabled work best with 120Hz (Welcome "CRT IPS" style!)
so, simply choose this frequency in NVIDIA Control Panel or similarly in AMD Radeon Settings.
Now play your games with V-SYNC enabled (better if forced through NVIDIA or AMD Panel and disabled ingame)
or use the Low-Lag V-Sync trick, very well explained here and achievable thanks to a software
called Rivatuner Statistics Server enhanced by Guru3D.com and all the people around it!
In any case remember to have a frame rate equal to monitor herz (120fps=120Hz) with strobe enabled.
If you want to understand why, give a look here: As mentioned above by the Chief you can stop here and jump to Section #3, however if you're capable to handle all the power of that monitor, thanks to a modded GPU in the Section #1 or with a new/compatible GPU, we can make a special refresh rate
used in combination with Rivatuner Statistics Server: a large total vertical lines
to speed up the frame delivery from the GPU to XG270 (Quick Frame Transport Hack).

Note: new custom resolution info near the end of Section #2

Let me explain step by step: a proper way to manage and mantain clean all the info inside the monitor "driver" is possible via the Custom Resolution Utility made by ToastyX: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

After the extraction of the compressed software in a folder, launch CRU.exe
As you can see there's a lot of resolution and frequency combinations.
My suggestion is to clean and maintain only what you really need to easly select inside your games or applications.

In the Standard resolutions section we can remove all the things inside by pressing the Delete all button

Same in the Established resolutions section by pressing the None button

Now let's focus on the Extension blocks section by selecting the preconfigured
CEA-861 block and press the Edit button

Here, in Data blocks, we can select TV resolutions and remove them with the Delete button
Optionally you can remove HDMI support, because technically we are using the DisplayPort.

In Detailed resolutions section remove all with the Delete all button and next press the Add button

Look in the Timing section and choose "Automatic - LCD Native"

In Refresh Rate type 240 and confirm by pressing the OK button

Select the new resolution and press the Edit button

Click on Pixel Clock and Total then let's focus on the Total Vertical Lines:

To get a QFTx2 we have to do this calculation: (Total Vertical Lines x Refresh Rate) ÷ Target Refresh Rate
so, calculate (1125 x 240) ÷ 120 = 2250

Write the new Total Vertical Lines and looks at the changes in Refresh Rate
Enjoy the "overweight" 120Hz !

Continue to press all the OK buttons to close the utility and confirm all the changes.
To see the changes you have to reboot your computer or run the restart64.exe (64bit)
to restart on-the-fly the video driver.

Thanks to Chief Blur Buster we have received another great info about this monitor, capable to drastically reduce the input lag!
I have decided to leave the custom resolution on top for teaching and as reminder, but the preferred way
is to make the special 120Hz resolution with the exact parameters shared by the Chief
Use the NVIDIA Control Panel to create it (same if you're on the AMD Radeon Settings)

Lastly select Change Resolution from the left pane and choose the 120Hz refresh rate.

Now, how we can correctly use this low-inputlag profile?
Thanks to Rivatuner Statistics Server and his Scanline Sync (S-Sync)!

Simple explanation: the "standard" V-Sync handled in Windows don't have any low lag benefits when it's in use the "fat" refresh rate. So, thanks to S-Sync we can utilize our QFT with all good advantages.

To configure and understand how the Scanline Sync works I suggest these very good readings: A start point to hide the tearline is to use a negative value of -500, but games are different so find the best value according to your needs!

3. Display calibration and profiling

I've profiled this monitor with my X-Rite i1 Display Pro and the DisplayCAL software,
when PureXP™ is enabled achiving an sRGB color space equal to 99.7%

Let's first tune On-Screen Display Menu pressing the joy key in the bottom of our monitor
(this is an example to undestand what is the On-Screen Display Menu)

These are the changes I've made:
  • Display > PureXP™ > Extreme
  • Display > Blue Light Filter > 0
  • Display > Color Temperature > Full Color Control > Red > 100
  • Display > Color Temperature > Full Color Control > Green > 99
  • Display > Color Temperature > Full Color Control > Blue > 99
  • Display > Color Adjust > Color Space > RGB
  • Display > Color Adjust > Color Range > Full Range
  • Display > Color Adjust > Gamma > 2.2
  • Display > Color Adjust > Color Saturation > 53 (I have noticed better color gradation with that value)
  • Display > Image Adjust > Sharpness > 0

Before you can download and install my color profile I want to show the options used in DisplayCAL:

XG270 PureXP™ Extreme CIE 1931 2° D65 0.3127x 0.329y 2.2 S XYZLUT+MTX "ICC Profile ONLY" is as the name say: contains only the .icm file
"FULL Package" have all the things made by DisplayCAL (useful if you want to create a 3DLUT profile, for example)

On all Windows Operating Systems the profiles are located "C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color"
so, you have to extract there the profile, open the Windows Display settings and choose the custom .icm

By the way I suggest to download DisplayCAL, because is followed with an utility called DisplayCAL Profile Loader capable to manage better color profiles and auto fix the system or the applications when are not using them.

Right click on the gray curved arrow locate in the Notification Area and select "Profile associations..."

Select "Use my settings for this display device" and next to the Add button

Choose the profile and confirm with the OK button

Now select "Automatically fix profile associations", follow the steps explained and confirm

Again right click on the gray curved arrow and press "Load calibration on login & preserve calibration state"

Enjoy the Blur Busters approved monitor in all his glory!

I remain open to constructive criticism, suggestions and improvements :)

Thanks for reading and I hope you liked!

[EDIT] changes and typo corrections.
Last edited by Kuzunkhaa on 09 Apr 2020, 11:40, edited 3 times in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: My ViewSonic XG270 + PureXP™ Tweaks [Advanced Users]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Mar 2020, 22:56

Fascinating HOWTO -- very detailed!

My workload is a bit high to test your changes at this time -- however, I have vetted the links and all seems to checks out -- real enthusiast stuff here. So I invite other users to give this a try and post here. I'm especially interested to hear from others.

Even independent of the rest of your post, your XG270 PureXP ICC file (even as a standalone tweak) could be a calibration timesaver for many -- I'll need to give it a try!

<Optional Advanced Reading>
Since some of our users have never heard of UEFI GOP firmwares, I'd like to point readers to also read at https://www.win-raid.com/t892f16-AMD-an ... s-DIY.html This, of course, is optional to enabling PureXP -- since PureXP is targetted to novice users too -- but is a great supplemental tweak if you understand what you're doing.
</Optional Advanced Reading>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kuzunkhaa

Post by Kuzunkhaa » 22 Mar 2020, 19:34

Thanks a lot for the compliments "Master Chief"!
Probably, when the new firmware will be released, I'll do a revision of the profile. We have just to wait patiently :)

Kuzunkhaa

Post by Kuzunkhaa » 05 Apr 2020, 04:07

I've updated the first post with more clean info and a new color profile. Check it!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Apr 2020, 19:15

Kuzunkhaa wrote:
05 Apr 2020, 04:07
I've updated the first post with more clean info and a new color profile. Check it!
Thank you for the updated ICC file!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kuzunkhaa

Re: My ViewSonic XG270 + PureXP™ Tweaks (ICC Download) [Advanced Users]

Post by Kuzunkhaa » 09 Apr 2020, 11:42

Updated with the Chief low lag custom resolution!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Apr 2020, 13:12

Kuzunkhaa wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 11:42
Updated with the Chief low lag custom resolution!
Great addition!

<Expert RTSS Scanline Sync "Quick Frame Transport" Trick Info>

Advanced commentary about negative RTSS Scanline Sync Indexes and How It Affects Lag

In other words, how changing negative scanline-sync indexes can increase OR reduce latency

For people who use the RTSS S-Sync + Quick Frame Transport trick VT2250 + 1080p + XG270 -- this creates a humongous blanking interval of 1170 lines (2250 minus 1080) -- that's a VBI bigger than visible vertical resolution! That said, please be noted that a negative -500 index -- assuming zero offset relative to real raster -- will still add 500/2250ths of a refresh cycle latency, but still lower lag than standard VSYNC ON (1170/2250ths) of a refresh cycle). So better tear-jitter resistance, at the cost of +2ms lag (still 10ms less lag than VSYNC ON which is at least 12ms laggier than the "QFT + RTSS S-Sync" combo). Ideally, the negative index should be as small as possible to minimize latency, without showing tearing. So one should enable the S-Sync hotkeys, and "move" the tearline to just barely above the top edge of the screen, then push it inwards slightly further via a negative index.

The deeper the tearline is upwards, the more lag, proportional between the start of VBI and end of VBI which will be an latency adjustment range 1170/2250ths of a refresh cycle. Mathing this out, (1170/2250) x (1/120) = 4.33 milliseconds of latency difference between a negative -1170 index versus a 0 index. So a 500 index would be roughly in between (2ms lag).

Be noted that doing the Quick Frame Transport resolution has no effect on VSYNC ON latency, until one installs RTSS Scanline Sync to force an end-of-VBI framebuffer swap instead of Microsoft/NVIDIA default beginning-of-VBI framebuffer swap. And the name of the game to reduce latency in a Quick Frame Transport (for a "VSYNC ON"-lookalike fixed-Hz sync technology) is to get as close to the end of VBI as possible. The end of VBI is always top edge of the screen. The beginning of VBI is always bottom edge of the screen. With this Custom Resolution, you have 1170 offscreen pixel rows (the "VBI") between end of current refresh cycles and the beginning of the next refresh cycle. And it's a 4.33 millisecond offscreen latency gradient based on the formula above.

I used my photodiode oscilloscope to confirm, and the Quick Frame Transport definitely works. It reduced PureXP+ "VSYNC ON" input lag by 12 milliseconds in the best case!

That said, it's a tearing-visibility-versus-latency tradeoff, when you have a heavily jittering tearline during RTSS Scanline Sync. So, if you have that issue --\ 500 is a good compromise. But older games (10% GPU), or emulators, combined with force-flush in the RTSS config file (nearly non-jittering tearline), can do with tiny negative indexes such as -50 or -100. Sometimes the tearline can jitter only by 10 pixels if I enable the force-flush, disable power management, and stick to low-GPU-load games, which allows me to do very tight negative indexes.

P.S. When using emulators, don't forget to turn on software black frame insertion feature (some emulators have that) to convert 120Hz hardware-strobe to 60Hz hardware-strobe (using software to black-out every other strobe). It looks like a 60Hz CRT that way.

</Expert RTSS Scanline Sync "Quick Frame Transport" Trick Info>

ELK

Post by ELK » 21 May 2020, 03:20

Thanks for the ICC tuned for strobed mode! Could you add the contrast your xg270 is set to? It's in Display -> Imagine adjust -> contrast.

ELK

Post by ELK » 21 May 2020, 03:43

For those of you who want higher refresh rates but tuned in the same style of Chief here is mine at 140hz.
New Bitmap Image (15).png
New Bitmap Image (15).png (25.18 KiB) Viewed 13052 times
You have to decrease the front porch in the same amount that you decrease the VT.

Here is what I did for 140hz.
Chief used 2180VT@120hz so I calculated 2180*120÷140=1,868.571, so I chose 1868 for my new VT.
I then calculated the difference between the VT. 2180—1868=312
I then removed that much from the front porch of what chief used. 1080—312=768

donnie

Post by donnie » 25 May 2020, 05:18

How is it possible to add this resolution settings in CRU? CRU marks vertical setting 1080 as red if you set it that high and doesn't allow to save the value. Is there any workaround? The reason why I want CRU is because using NVCP custom resolution prevents using 10 bit colors.