Xbox One X - 30 fps question

All newer XBOX consoles supports 120Hz+ & FreeSync. Getting help with getting "Better Than 60Hz" on the XBOX ONE, XBOX Series S, and XBOX Series X, as well as the PlayStation 5.
sew333

Xbox One X - 30 fps question

Post by sew333 » 02 Mar 2020, 12:31

Hello. I bought Xbox One X and monitor AORUS AD27QD. Playing on 30 fps its not super. I bought games: GEARS OF WAR 5 ( super 60 fps ), Metro Exodus ( 30 fps ), Jedi Fallen Order ( 30 fps ), Division 2 ( 30 fps )

Is this possible to be happy with 30 fps? Any happy users here?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Xbox One X - 30 fps question

Post by RealNC » 04 Mar 2020, 06:00

Well, it's not like you can do anything about it :P

For me, the only case where 30FPS does not bother me that much is in very slow-moving games. Due to the consoles not being mouse-driven but instead using analog sticks, most games are slow-moving (your can't look around using a mouse), so I suppose the problem is less severe. For example, when I played Dark Souls at 30FPS with an xbox controller, it was kind of OK-ish (not really good, just OK-ish.) As soon as used the mouse: nope, it felt like complete crap.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 09 Mar 2020, 22:26

RealNC wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 06:00
Well, it's not like you can do anything about it :P

For me, the only case where 30FPS does not bother me that much is in very slow-moving games. Due to the consoles not being mouse-driven but instead using analog sticks, most games are slow-moving (your can't look around using a mouse), so I suppose the problem is less severe. For example, when I played Dark Souls at 30FPS with an xbox controller, it was kind of OK-ish (not really good, just OK-ish.) As soon as used the mouse: nope, it felt like complete crap.
I recently beat Doom on PS4 and that game is 60FPS what tricks are they doing to eliminate motion blur? I felt that game was fantastic on my gaming monitor and my eyes. I recently tried Final Fantasy 7 remake on my gaming monitor and had watched the DF YouTube video on the game. It seems the game is locked to 30FPS but again I didn't notice too much problems with motion blur and it seemed great on my eyes. Then I was trying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch and when you move the camera around the game you get motion blur. It seems that game runs at 30FPS but dips. I wouldn't say Xenoblade strains my eyes but it feels way worse then Doom and FF7 Remake. Another interesting thing I tried Xenoblade with my 2013 Plasma TV and I still see the motion blur. I guess the main question I'm asking since I'm still trying to learn and understand this is. If developers lock a game at 30FPS and another game is locked at 60FPS is the motion blur going to be cut in half at 60FPS when compared to 30FPS? I always try to watch reviews now on games to see what tricks they are using because I can totally tell on some games how great they feel on my eyes and can game for hours where some are not so great.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 10 Mar 2020, 14:00

Jason38 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 22:26
I recently beat Doom on PS4 and that game is 60FPS what tricks are they doing to eliminate motion blur?
They add motion blur. This actually eliminates FPS motion blur. You can test this on the PC version of Doom where you can disable motion blur. At 60FPS, disabling motion blur makes it look quite a bit worse because then the 60FPS motion blur becomes visible. Re-enabling the game's motion blur hides the 60FPS blur and appears to look smoother and less blurry.

This is why 24FPS movies don't look as blurry as you'd think. They have motion blur added to them (either naturally by the filming, or in post-process if needed if it's not shot on film.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 10 Mar 2020, 18:21

RealNC wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 14:00
Jason38 wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 22:26
I recently beat Doom on PS4 and that game is 60FPS what tricks are they doing to eliminate motion blur?
They add motion blur. This actually eliminates FPS motion blur. You can test this on the PC version of Doom where you can disable motion blur. At 60FPS, disabling motion blur makes it look quite a bit worse because then the 60FPS motion blur becomes visible. Re-enabling the game's motion blur hides the 60FPS blur and appears to look smoother and less blurry.

This is why 24FPS movies don't look as blurry as you'd think. They have motion blur added to them (either naturally by the filming, or in post-process if needed if it's not shot on film.)
Thank you for this awesome answer!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 13 Mar 2020, 19:51

30fps is extremely hard to fix the blur of.

Using Game Mode low-lag interpolation (i.e. Samsung NU8000 series) is one of the few ways to make 30fps much more blur-free, but your gaming monitor doesn't have any kind of interpolation built in, and most interpolation is not game-friendly.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 23 Mar 2020, 22:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 19:51
30fps is extremely hard to fix the blur of.

Using Game Mode low-lag interpolation (i.e. Samsung NU8000 series) is one of the few ways to make 30fps much more blur-free, but your gaming monitor doesn't have any kind of interpolation built in, and most interpolation is not game-friendly.
Almost every game I play now I always check what the developers capped the FPS at. I was trying to play two XBOX 360 games Blue Dragon and Lost Odessey and they both are capped at 30FPS but on the XBOX 360 they can't even hold 30FPS. I think at their worst they both get to around 15FPS and jump all the way back up to 30FPS. My eyes were getting strained. So I played them on the XBOX ONE as it's backwards compatible and they hold a consistent 30FPS and my eyes are back to normal for the most part. I still find 30FPS is not the most comfortable. Then I put on a game at 60FPS no issues on the exact same gaming monitor it's so crazy. I find even if I play a game at 60 and it dips below not too much I don't really notice much issues with eye strain. 30FPS is the limit for me but I don't find it that comfortable to begin with. It was funny because I was considering playing Zelda Orcarina Of Time for N64 next but that game runs at 20FPS. I don't think I want to jump down that rabbit hole. My question is when I play a game that runs at 30FPS or less on my Plasma TV why is it easier on my eyes then my LED gaming monitor?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Mar 2020, 20:46

Jason38 wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 22:12
My question is when I play a game that runs at 30FPS or less on my Plasma TV why is it easier on my eyes then my LED gaming monitor?
It forks off to so many different causes of eyestrain that is hard to track down (motion blur eyestrain, excess brightness, low brightness, bad TN-style viewing angle, screen speckle, focus issues, blue light). Different people are sensitive to differnet things. I've seen people who had less strain with the LED gaming monitor but more strain on plasma, and vice versa. Threads on eyestrain can become novel-sized with a lot of step-by-step to try to troubleshoot your own eyestrain issue. There's just generalities that can be solved, but obscure causes are a bit outlier and difficult. No two humans see alike.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 25 Mar 2020, 04:57

I know this is a bit random test, but if you can, could you take a screenshot from the side of both the plasma and the monitor? (from the side= like if you were checking viewing angles).
It is just curiosity as i think the anti glare coating add a brown colour that somehow i, myself, don't like.

As i say is a bit random, but as i don't have plasma i cannot check myself :D .

;)

josemiguel811

Post by josemiguel811 » 23 May 2020, 19:56

Hi, I think you have to adapt ... although with 30 fps it is not very good to play